Story Poster
Texas A&M Basketball

Illinois-Chicago transfer guard Jace Carter commits to Texas A&M hoops

April 19, 2023

The Texas A&M men’s basketball team added another guard to the 2023-24 roster when University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) sophomore Jace Carter announced his intent to transfer to the Aggies.

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound guard was a workhorse for the Flames last season, starting all 29 games and playing 34.8 minutes a contest.

Since entering the portal on March 10, a long list of major Division I programs inquired about Carter’s services, including Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Villanova and Clemson, among others.

Carter led the Flames in several per-game statistical categories, including scoring (16.6 points), rebounds (7.0) and steals (1.8). In fact, Carter led the Missouri Valley Conference in steals with 50 and was voted to the All-Missouri Valley Conference Second Team.

As a freshman, the Titusville, Florida, native made the Horizon League All-Freshman Team after starting the team’s final 17 games of the 2021-22 season. Overall, Carter started 46 games for the Flames in his two seasons with UIC and comes to College Station with extensive game experience.

His’s 6-foot-5 build with the ability to score and rebound at a high level will remind observers of recently graduated guard Dexter Dennis. On3 listed Carter as the No. 156 ranked transfer prospect in the portal that numbers close to 1,500 players.

Carter will be a junior next season with two years of eligibility remaining.

Discussion from...

Illinois-Chicago transfer guard Jace Carter commits to Texas A&M hoops

11,418 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Ag_EE_88
swc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my text!
Know Your Enemy
AG
32.4% from 3-point range. That is underwhelming.
texasaggie2015
AG
He did shoot 38% the year before, so he's certainly capable of picking it up.
Know Your Enemy
AG
He went from 38.2% his freshman year with 3.2 attempts per game to 30.1% with 5.9 attempts per game his sophomore season. That is not a good sign. Plus he only shoots 68.5% from the FT line. We need shooters in a bad way. Looks like he can rebound and play defense which will be needed to replace Dex but it still doesn't fit our biggest deficit.
Flaith
AG
He hit 100% of his 3-pointers with nothing but net in the highlight video
sincereag
But is he a DAWG? That's the big question! Appears to be stat-wise by leading the team in rebounds and steals.
Method Man
He seems pretty strong on his drives. Will let you know
Serious Lee
good looking stroke though. doesnt appear to be all that athletic. seen how that can cause problems for players that see a major jump up in competition.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
how can some not be happy with this pickup. we got a legit division 1 player who averages right at 17 pts and 7 boards a game.
MarcAg
AG
I like the pick up. I would like to see us add 2 more perimeter players as well as a long big now.
NoahAg
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

how can some not be happy with this pickup. we got a legit division 1 player who averages right at 17 pts and 7 boards a game.
This is TexAgs. You can't be happy unless you're mad about something.
Know Your Enemy
AG
NoahAg said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

This is TexAgs. You can't be happy unless you're mad about something.

You can be happy with the addition while still being concerned that the player doesn't fill the biggest hole on our roster.
texasaggie2015
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

He went from 38.2% his freshman year with 3.2 attempts per game to 30.1% with 5.9 attempts per game his sophomore season. That is not a good sign. Plus he only shoots 68.5% from the FT line. We need shooters in a bad way. Looks like he can rebound and play defense which will be needed to replace Dex but it still doesn't fit our biggest deficit.
I watched some of UIC this year and he was certainly the best player on that team. I would expect him to get a lot more open looks with defenses not putting so much attention on him. Plus he won't have to carry the load and force up shots. That should help.

Time will tell!
Method Man
His jumper looks repeatable. Doesn't look like he has a lot of wiggle to create his jumper but it's just a few minutes of highlight reels.
WGann3
AG
Dude had 14+ in his last 13 games and 15 out of 17 games in conference play in a pretty good mid-major conference. Needs to get that 3 point percentage up but me likey.
Picadillo
6-5 guard. I like.
Know Your Enemy
AG
WGann3 said:

Dude had 14+ in his last 13 games and 15 out of 17 games in conference play in a pretty good mid-major conference. Needs to get that 3 point percentage up but me likey.

They were a 1 bid league. That's not "pretty good" on any level.
WGann3
AG
You came into this thread about a nice little incoming transfer piece and chose to nitpick about me calling the Missouri Valley a pretty good little mid-major conference? Come on man. Murray State, back half of the MVC, waxed us.
Know Your Enemy
AG
WGann3 said:

You came into this thread about a nice little incoming transfer piece and chose to nitpick about me calling the Missouri Valley a pretty good little mid-major conference? Come on man. Murray State, back half of the MVC, waxed us.

Ah, so an early season embarrassment when we couldn't even beat Wofford at home makes the whole league "pretty good" for the season. They had one damn team make the tournament.
WGann3
AG
Give me the multi bid mid major conferences. Off the top of my head, how many were there? 2-3, Mountain West, WCC, and who else?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not sure what point you're trying to make here but I think the American had two teams too.
WGann3
AG
My point is I called the MVC a "pretty good mid-major". That's not all that high of praise. Whatever mid-majors got multiple bids can be the "really good mid-majors" if that helps with how I'm assessing mid-majors. Just found it really weird you felt the need to try and call me out on my subjective assessment of Missouri Valley Conference. Maybe decent mid-major was a more appropriate label, I just know Jace put up solid numbers in a conference better than something like the Ohio Valley Conference.
texasaggie2015
AG
This is a weird argument. Sure, the MVC isn't an elite conference by any means but they certainly have some talent.

Jace Carter is a good player. Whether he becomes a big scorer for us or just a good depth piece remains to be seen. Either way, he makes us deeper and better so I'll gladly take it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not sure how he makes us better when all signs point to him being this season's Dexter Dennis. That is treading water, not getting better. He can definitely be a piece to the puzzle and I hope he is. This just doesn't move the needle though which is why I am not overly excited. I loved Dex and I may love this kid too. Time will tell.
MarcAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Not sure how he makes us better when all signs point to him being this season's Dexter Dennis. That is treading water, not getting better. He can definitely be a piece to the puzzle and I hope he is. This just doesn't move the needle though which is why I am not overly excited. I loved Dex and I may love this kid too. Time will tell.
You are looking at it as if it's the only piece we add in the portal. We need to see the full picture and what all is added (and if anybody else leaves) before we evaluate too heavily. This could be the worst guy we add via the portal or it could be the best guy we add for the portal, we just don't know right now
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm plenty aware that we will add more from the portal. If we add some legit shooters I'll be giddy.
Know Your Enemy
DukeMu
Carter has a 40.2% eFG% and takes the second most 3s on the team while making 24% of them.

Either Buzz' evaluation or development is off. None of the Frosh are contributing to a thin lineup.

I'm sorry, it's time to cut bait on Buzz.
BuzzFan24
Carter chose A&M over "Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Villanova and Clemson, among others."…yet you act like A&M can't evaluate. Tex Ags - the place to go for all negativity
Mikeyshooter
AG
None of those other teams needed him to be their 3rd scorer. He would be a solid 7th or 8th man.

Know Your Enemy
AG
DukeMu said:

Carter has a 40.2% eFG% and takes the second most 3s on the team while making 24% of them.

Either Buzz' evaluation or development is off. None of the Frosh are contributing to a thin lineup.

I'm sorry, it's time to cut bait on Buzz.

The stats showed us what we were getting. No one should be surprised.
DukeMu
BuzzFan24 said:

Carter chose A&M over "Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Villanova and Clemson, among others."…yet you act like A&M can't evaluate. Tex Ags - the place to go for all negativity
So...you're saying we can't coach 'em up?
Ag_EE_88
AG
"inquired about Carter's services" is not the same thing as they offered him a scholarship….
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.