Fans counting down the shot clock

5,401 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agmeister
txaggieacct85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't care for this. For a home team it alerts the visiting team that time is running out and likely causes them to step up their defense

Update. I'm talking about when fans countdown at home games and the Aggies are on offense.

Countdown all you want when Aggies are on defense
zgolfz85
AG

Philip J Fry
AG
I always thought it would be better to count it down 1 second too late for the opposing team. So at 4 seconds left, start at 5. Make them think they have longer to hold it than they do.
Know Your Enemy
AG
We always used to start counting it early in hopes we got the opponent to rush a shot unnecessarily.
txaggieacct85
AG
I'm talking about when the Aggies are on offense
AggieBaseball06
AG
If you have ever watched an Arkansas game, their fans start counting at 4 seconds because that's as high as they can count.
AggieBB
AG
zgolfz85 said:

txaggieacct85 said:

I don't care for this. For a home team it alerts the visiting team that time is running out and likely causes them to step up their defense

I actually agree with this. I think the thinking is it rushes the other team and makes them put up rushed shots, but I think it helps more than hurts.
Pretty sure he's talking about counting down when the Ags have the ball.
TyHolden
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

If you have ever watched an Arkansas game, their fans start counting at 4 seconds because that's as high as they can count.
and they boo the one person on the other team they were told to boo....
Method Man
As we all know visiting players get super rattled and totally believe opposing fans.
txaggieacct85
AG
zgolfz85
AG
AggieBB said:

zgolfz85 said:

txaggieacct85 said:

I actually agree with this. I think the thinking is it rushes the other team and makes them put up rushed shots, but I think it helps more than hurts.
Pretty sure he's talking about counting down when the Ags have the ball.

Ha yep, read that too fast, scratched my first post
Little Rock Ag
AG
Just be glad they are there.
USNAggie44
Tobias Funke
AG
This thread is dumb as hell
Method Man
Sorry I read that.
DukeMu
Method Man said:

As we all know visiting players get super rattled and totally believe opposing fans.
They're college kids. I've seen it work 2-3 times,
cupofjoe04
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

I highly doubt 99% of the time the defender even registers the crowd counting at all. If you've ever tried to lock down a D-1 athlete in almost any sport, you know what I'm talking about. Crowd noise is just white noise when you are focused.

I would bet dollars to donuts the most offensive players with the ball don't hear it much, either. They are trained to look at and go by the shot clock.
txaggieacct85
AG
PatAg
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

everyone playing on the floor can see the shot clock
Ag13
AG
PJ Tucker is still dribbling
WallyWonka
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

I totally disagree.

I want the fans in the game. I want them trying to impact it any way they can from a noise aspect. If it helps only once a game, then that's good. If it never helps, again people will talk about the intimidation of the noise. Granted, they say they don't hear it, or it doesn't bother them. But when they've screwed up, shot an air ball, etc. they hear it.

They really hear it when the home team is lighting it up.
Muy
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

They are just counting the number of teeth their friend next to them has.
Decay
AG
If the players know we count it down, they don't have to worry about looking at the clock and can rely on the students to tell them.
wtr1975
AG
I don't know if counting down hurts us or aids our opponents. I do know it seems as if Taylor and a couple others hang out in the perimeter longer than they should at times deep into the shot clock and throw up an errant shot or make a mad dash to the basket with no real hope f scoring.
cupofjoe04
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

I watch the Aggie players change their urgency and tempo on offense when the students and fans start clinging down the play clock.

They hear it

And I'm talking about when the Aggies are on OFFENSE, not defense

I know you are talking about the Aggie's offense, you have said that 10 times. But you also mentioned the opposing defense- thus several people are talking about implications for that side of the ball as well. You can take your all-caps off now.

I have seen them turn up the intensity as well, when there is no one counting. Don't you think it might have slightly more to do with the shot clock that they have all literally trained their whole lives to run off of?

Im not saying the counting never has an effect, I'm sure someone off the ball zones every now and then and wakes up when they hear a count. But, for the most part these players are not relying on the crowd for cues, and they are training to block out the crowd.

I'm just saying I think you are way overthinking the impact the counting has. Or else we would see shot clock violations often because of fan bases that like to false count. You see that every once in a blue moon, but it is the rare exception not a norm.
txaggieacct85
AG
I said offense many times because my point was I don't like when there is a count down and the Aggies are on OFFENSE. I don't care if fans/students count down on defense. And there were comments on here about counting down while we're on DEFENSE. You can start your own defense post if you desire

I guess my fatal error was I should have put OFFENSE in the title to the post.

You know in the Ticket Exchange forum there is WTS or WTB in the titles to post?

This is a WTB post. WTS are different post.

And players hear the count down. Sure, some players are able to block it out, but one can't say it doesn't impact play
txag72
AG
Quote:

I watch the Aggie players change their urgency and tempo on offense when the students and fans start counting down the play clock.
And, isn't that exactly the purpose? So, coaches shouldn't scream at them "FIVE SECONDS" or something? I think you or someone brings this up every year. And every year, it doesn't make sense.
txaggieacct85
AG
You're welcome
halfastros81
AG
I think it's smart to count down for your team
On offense. . Make sure your team is totally aware. When you are stressed by good defense it's a good thing to know. Shot clock violations are demoralizing imo and they serve to pump up the opponent when they get them. Empty possessions where you don't even take a shot is also a great way to lose close games

I see no negatives. If it
Makes a player /team rush needlessly then the
Player/team needs to work on it more
txag72
AG
If you want to talk about something really stupid, talk about students counting foot steps of the player who has fouled out WHILE our guy is shooting FT's. There's a cause to be proud of.
halfastros81
AG
I thought it was left, right, left …. but it doesn't really matter , equally stupid imo.
TyperWoods
I really don't think it matters much.
txag72
AG
Yea that.
WallyWonka
AG
txag72 said:

If you want to talk about something really stupid, talk about students counting foot steps of the player who has fouled out WHILE our guy is shooting FT's. There's a cause to be proud of.

If you've ever played in front of a hostile crowd that's really good at ragging, little/stupid things like this can get stuck on a guy in the locker room and he's ragged by the rest of his teammates. Further, if an entire student body does it, though weird/stupid from it can be fun--watch when they chop their steps, or hesitate a step, "you're in their head rent free".
cupofjoe04
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

I said offense many times because my point was I don't like when there is a count down and the Aggies are on OFFENSE. I don't care if fans/students count down on defense. And there were comments on here about counting down while we're on DEFENSE. You can start your own defense post if you desire

I guess my fatal error was I should have put OFFENSE in the title to the post.

You know in the Ticket Exchange forum there is WTS or WTB in the titles to post?

This is a WTB post. WTS are different post.

And players hear the count down. Sure, some players are able to block it out, but one can't say it doesn't impact play

You seem to be much more interested in arguing about wether you meant offense or defense, than actually listening to the many points on this thread that are countering your original post.

And even in your OP, the only negative you reference is that it brings urgency to the opposing defense. So I still don't get why you are harping on the fact that "you meant when the Aggies are on offense" anytime someone brings up defense (as you did in your OP). It's equally applicable to both teams on both ends of the floor.

And if you really think the players are listening to the crowd that closely, ask yourself this: do you think the players are expending the mental energy/focus to think about "OK, the crowd is counting. I'm on offense at home, so I listen to them." Or "Now I'm on defense at home, so I don't listen to them" or "OK, offense on the road, don't listen to the crowd." Or "D on the road, now I trust them." Come on man… they literally train themselves to tune that mess out. They focus on their assignment, their man, the ball, shot clock, and their coach. Fans don't understand how little can actually be differentiated on a court/field/pitch while game play is in action.

Again, I'm not saying it never has an impact, especially on someone who might be zoning out. But those instances are the rare exception- not an every possession sort of thing. This is nothing worth getting your panties in a wad about.

If anything, it keeps our home crowd engaged in the game- regardless of if we are on offense or defense. So, it's a net benefit.

Fare the well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.