Present Roster Situation for 2022-2023 season

10,733 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by McGibblets
txag72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

We have one proven, two that have shown some ability but not anything close to consistency, especially against high level competition.
We won 11 of our last 13 games against several of the best in the SEC and losing the championship game by 1 point with one senior and no dominant big man. I can't give Jackson all the credit for that.
txag72
AG
I didn't mean to turn this into an Andre Gordon thread, but since it's gone this far, I offer this, his conference stats. That's a bit deceiving in that they don't include the post season and yes, his role was greatly lessened. But, go thru this and compare Gordon's actual numbers vs the other guards. You might be surprised. No, he's not the guy that makes things happen, but he's not the liability on the court some make him out to be.

https://12thman.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats
Aston04
AG
Gordon is a good role player if he is on the court with at least 3 scorers.
Method Man
Sorry. We watched the games.
agtrevino07
AG
His role was diminished because of a back injury. Specifically, he started having back problems before the Bama game in Tuscaloosa. In the post game show, Buzz and Monaco talked about it

I like having Gordon in our team. He plays within the duel m system and is disciplined. Also, only him and Q have delivered in his commitment to the team. He will be a solid player for us next season.
bobinator
AG
I also like Gordon, especially compared to most people on here, but there's no way around the fact that he was pretty bad late in the season. And at times he absolutely was a liability on the floor. I also don't think we can just hand wave it away to injury though, that seems almost naively optimistic.

But at his best he's a solid piece. He can known down an open shot, and he has decent handles, he's a plus defender usually. I also think he'll look a lot better if we have some threats inside that can create their own shot at all.

I hope he bounces back and has a solid year next year. We need him to be a guy that can be a defensive stopper and knock down an open look at a decent clip for 15 or so minutes a game.
bobinator
AG
You don't have to. Radford was really good in that stretch, so was Coleman, and it seemed like every game someone else would step up and give us a high level game. We were also running an offense that fit our skill sets more, which I'm sure we'll do next season also.

All I'm saying is if we want to be a high level team, you have to be multiple. When thing A doesn't work, you can do thing B. But when you look at this roster and the attributes and skill sets they bring to the table, the thing we're thinnest on is shot creators off the bounce and shooters.
bg92
AG
I'm really interested to see how Buzz builds off last year with this roster. Year one started terrible and finished strong. Year two was a disaster, but COVID. Year three started strong, slumped, and then moved to a different mix of players getting the playing time and a different offense to finish strong.

This is really the first offseason he will be able to take a core group of contributors, add pieces, and build off the previous year. I'm really hoping he can find the right mix and the right schemes faster and be consistently good next year. I am cautiously optimistic.
txag72
AG
Quote:

.... the thing we're thinnest on is shot creators off the bounce and shooters
I think maybe we are getting into semantics as far as what we each mean by "shot creator". If you are speaking about creating an open 10'er and hitting it, yea, we are weak. I was talking more about penetrating, dishing off, etc.
agtrevino07
AG
Does the addition of KK Robinson hurt Wade Taylor? Physically they are twins... Also play the same position. I mentioned in another thread that this is a head scratcher for me. I did not think we needed another 6'0 /170 lbs player.
TjgtAg08
AG
IMO Robinson is much more of a spot up shooter who can slash than a true PG who can distribute the ball. Certainly similar to Taylor in some areas, but Taylor is more of driver/passer and Robinson is more of an outside shooter.

I'd imagine he will be Taylor's backup to start the season.
aggiebones
AG
Doesn't he just replace Diarra (and to an extent MWilliams) and give some competition to Taylor?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Updated my OP to include KK Robinson in the IN.

We are now 2 over the 13 scholarship limit.

Note that PG HS recruit Jordan Williams currently in the IN category is listed as having not yet signed…don't assume adding Robinson means a returning roster player is OUT to make room. We don't know yet what the deal is. Certainly at least 1 more player in the HOLDOVER category will not be back but not necessarily 2.
rlb28
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Updated my OP to include KK Robinson in the IN.

We are now 2 over the 13 scholarship limit.

Note that PG HS recruit Jordan Williams currently in the IN category is listed as having not yet signed…don't assume adding Robinson means a returning roster player is OUT to make room. We don't know yet what the deal is. Certainly at least 1 more player in the HOLDOVER category will not be back but not necessarily 2.
It's a strange situation. Verbal Commits has him as having signed his LOI. There is absolutely nothing on his twitter about signing. He didn't even retweet the pict I'm attaching. Here are is his signing day pictures:

rlb28
AG
Least we not forget about Jaelyn Lee from Paris, Texas.

Quote:

Over the past four years, Paris Wildcat Jaelyn Lee has dominated on the basketball court like few other players in the state of Texas have. His high school career is over, but his athletic career is not. Lee will now take his talents to the SEC after signing his letter of intent with the Texas A&M Aggies.
MarcAg
AG
My no inside knowledge prediction is Lee will be a walk-on this coming season and Williams will be at prep school or Juco.
CanHePlayLinebacker
The real hero(es) of next year's team will be the player(s) who forgoes his NLI scholarship for a NIL sponsorship
dcaggie04
AG
CanHePlayLinebacker said:

The real hero(es) of next year's team will be the player(s) who forgoes his NLI scholarship for a NIL sponsorship
You really think a kid is going to pay his own way out of his NIL deal instead of having his college paid for and he gets to keep all his NIL deal?

Oh you sweet summer child.
CanHePlayLinebacker
No, but I think there would be an under-the-table "gentlemen's agreement" to become a NIL scholarship athlete to load our rosters with talent top to bottom. If you don't think scholarship caps sports will take advantage of this you're mistaken. Look at BYU offering all walk-ons a NIL "scholarship" - they publicized it and got blasted for it.

Don't ask don't tell approach will have to be taken when we see all these players on the roster next season with us wondering how we are rostering a team over the scholarship cap!
MarcAg
AG

Pretty sure that's illegal. If you come to a school on scholarship you can't later be on the team not counting towards the scholarship limit.
wacarnolds
AG
MarcAg said:

Pretty sure that's illegal. If you come to a school on scholarship you can't later be on the team not counting towards the scholarship limit.

This. You also can't go through the normal recruiting process and then not count towards the scholarship limit.
Wooahhhh
AG
I'm with you Deangelo, I think Manny O's ceiling is sky high, Q-esque high. I agree 200%
Ag_EE_88
AG
MarcAg said:

My no inside knowledge prediction is Lee will be a walk-on this coming season and Williams will be at prep school or Juco.

Something just isn't quite right about these 2 signings. No press release on them at all as of yet. Marble even got a press release about him being added to the team but nothing on these 2.
McGibblets
AG
Did anything else ever come up about the roster situation? Are they still 2 over?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.