Present Roster Situation for 2022-2023 season

10,726 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by McGibblets
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

*Were allowed 14 scholarship spots last season due to COVID rules but now back to 13

OUT (5)

Marcus Williams
Jackson
Diarra
Cash
Jalen Johnson (Note: never played here cause of injury)

IN (5)

Andersson Garcia (transfer from Miss State)
Julius Marble (transfer from Michigan State)
KK Robinson(transfer from Arkansas)
Soloman Washington
Erik Pratt
Jordan Williams (has not signed yet)

HOLDOVERS (9) (We are presently 2 over the scholarship limit)

Coleman
Radford
Taylor
Gordon
Hefner
Henderson
Brown
Smith
Obaseki
MarcAg
AG
Don't be so sure all the holdovers are coming back, but yes as of right now this looks accurate.
Topher17
AG
I was thinking (was kind of hoping) we'd see another one or two from the holdover list move to the Out list. However, at this point why would we see anyone move if they were supposed to be in the portal by today to play in the fall? Are you thinking we see someone announced as in the portal and was actually in before the deadline, or are you thinking we see someone like Henderson "retire" from college hoops?
MarcAg
AG
Deadline is end of today. Also a guy could just not play basketball anymore and then wouldn't need to enter the portal.
GrayMatter
AG
Any word on Ashton's availability for next year?
Topher17
AG
I thought deadline was overnight last night, but you're right it is later today.
The only person I could see no longer playing is Henderson due to his age and having been in college for four years. Anyone else just not playing anymore would be pretty shocking.
Wicked Good Ag
Paperwork to compliance office has to be in by today it may take an additional day or two for the name to actually hit the portal

I would think by Star Wars Day names will be known if they want to play in the fall for a new team
Batty
Any guesses to who the mystery transfer is? Maybe Julius Marble?
Double Diamond
Going to take a miracle coaching job. Way to many projects.
wacarnolds
AG
Add Andersson Garcia from Miss St.
Wicked Good Ag
I assume this is the one Hop was alluding to for the roster. While I hope for the best this isn't what I was expecting to help transform this roster as much as I expected
FTAG 2000
AG
Someone needs to work with our NIL folks on basketball.

LSU is going out and getting five stars while under probation and every problem under the sun and we're getting four points three boards guys.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Edited my OP to indicate that the transfer is Andersson Garcia (transfer from Miss State)
Aston04
AG
Wow- that's a huge disappointment.
MarcAg
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Updated my OP to reflect latest and greatest info with transfer commit of Julius Marble from Michigan State.
ProudAggie98
AG
I think we start Taylor, Radford, Obaseki, Coleman, and Marble. Then give plenty of minutes to Hefner, Garcia, and Gordon. Not a bad rotation, should be a tournament team assuming incremental improvement across the board
Topher17
AG
ProudAggie98 said:

I think we start Taylor, Radford, Obaseki, Coleman, and Marble. Then give plenty of minutes to Hefner, Garcia, and Gordon. Not a bad rotation, should be a tournament team assuming incremental improvement across the board
I think that starting five sounds pretty solid. I would like to see us upgrade that bench a bit if we can land someone else, even if that means someone on the current roster has to leave.
Texas A&M
I can't say I know anything about Marble's game. Anyone know how it compares to Coleman's?
rlb28
AG
Just trying to put a lineup out here. With Diarra leaving that puts a strain on the PG position in my opinion. Both the PG and SG starters will need to play a bunch of minutes.

Wade Taylor --> Andre Gordon --> Jordan Williams
Tyrece Radford -- Hayden Hefner --> Erick Pratt
Manny Obaseki --> Andersson Garcia --> Solomon Washington
Henry Coleman --> Ethan Henderson
Julius Marble --> Javonte Brown --> Ashton Smith

bobinator
AG
The thing we still don't have is proven guys who can create off the dribble outside of Radford. Taylor and Manny showed some flashes but that's where we're the thinnest.
MarcAg
AG
rlb28 said:

Just trying to put a lineup out here. With Diarra leaving that puts a strain on the PG position in my opinion. Both the PG and SG starters will need to play a bunch of minutes.

I know it sounds clich, but this truly is positional basketball we play. We purposely have guys that can play multiple spots and even when we have 5 on the court those guys might be switching the position/role they are playing from one time down the court to the next.
bobinator
AG
Yeah this is what I started to say. I wouldn't worry about "PG and SG" as far as traditional roles, but we are thin on creators off the bounce.
dcaggie04
AG
rlb28 said:

One person on that list will not be on the team next season.
rlb28
AG
Love the excitement for basketball in May!!! Gig em Buzz!
aggiebones
AG
rlb28 said:

Pretty close. Gordon will have to make waves to stay that high on the depth chart. He looked off last year especially toward seasons end.

I suspect you will see a heavy circular rotation between Taylor, Radford and Obaseki at 2 positions and Garcia also starting. But even late in the year, he was rolling players around alot, so PT won't be an issue. One of the good players could even fill the 6th man roll where he comes in quickly for whoever starts a bit off game to game.

Instead of traditional depth chart (Buzz isn't traditional)
Maybe a PT depth chart makes more sense. Who's going to be on the floor the most. Something like this.

Radford
Coleman
------
Marble
Obaseki
Taylor
Garcia
----
Hefner
Henderson
Brown
Smith

Not gonna speculate on the other newbies.
txag72
AG
Quote:

The thing we still don't have is proven guys who can create off the dribble outside of Radford. Taylor and Manny showed some flashes but that's where we're the thinnest.
So we have 3. When was the last time we really even had 1 besides Jackson? Caruso? And how many do most top 25 teams have?
txag72
AG
There's a lot of negativity here regarding Gordon, Brown and Hefner, especially Gordon. True, he "slipped" in PT but I don't see that as much as his digressing as others by-passing him. And, those by-passing him are quality D1 players. Gordon can help imo. Brown is a project, no doubt, but what's wrong with a 6-10+ freshman project? Hefner showed flashes of everything (except maybe what he was supposed to really provide, 3 pt shooting). He could be a Caruso starter kit, who knows?

No biggie, it's just that the glass always seems to be half full. Personally, I feel things are progressing with leaps and bounds. Yea, that's a pretty low bar, but I can't realistically see us doing any better than we are.
MarcAg
AG
Oh Gordon definitely digressed. He fell of a 100 foot cliff mid season. There have been rumblings of an injury and maybe that had more to do with it, but his play fell off big time.
txag72
AG
If all you can see is games, that's not a very large picture. Maybe there was an injury involved mid-seasonish, maybe he lost "his spot" and that gave the young 'uns a chance to really come on. It seemed like at some point he started pressing and yea, was a negative player. But at the end of the season, to me he seemed a lot more settled into his role and filled it fine.

If he's not in the portal, I'd have to think Buzz agrees with the bottom line. Somebody has to be the 7 to 8 minute player a game guy, especially when Buzz puts so much stress on defense intensity.
bobinator
AG
We have one proven, two that have shown some ability but not anything close to consistency, especially against high level competition.

When have we had more? Pretty much any time we were good. We either had multiple threats or one elite one like Law.

In 16 we had Caruso, but we also had Anthony Collins who could break down defenses (averaged more than 4 assists per game), House could put the ball on the floor with the right matchup, Jalen Jones was a pretty active forward who was a threat against slower defenders. Between Collins and Caruso that's 9.2 assists per game.

In '18 we had both Starks and Wilson early on, but Gilder could put the ball on the floor a bit and we also had ELITE front court players which we don't have now. We were able to create space with Davis and Williams. That team was also huge, Hogg and Trocha could shoot over most people so that helped create space also.

But you look at this group and how are we going to create space on offense? Coleman is the only forward that's shown any ability at all to create their own shot, Radford is our only proven shooter and our only proven ballhandler. The ability to create shots is definitely where we're the least proven.
dcaggie04
AG
MarcAg said:

Oh Gordon definitely digressed. He fell of a 100 foot cliff mid season. There have been rumblings of an injury and maybe that had more to do with it, but his play fell off big time.

Every season he's been here his offense drops of the face of the earth near the end of the season. First year he shot 26% last two months. Last 5 games of the covid year, he shot 16%. This last season he shot 29% the last two months.
bobinator
AG
Not sure we can read anything into the covid year since one of our last five games was in January.

His fall off this year was definitely concerning though. I thought he'd settled into a pretty nice role early in the year as a defense-first guy that can hit an open shot, a bit Dominique Kirk-esque though he's not that good of a defender.

But other than the Mississippi State game late in the year where he played some good minutes he was horrible down the stretch this year.

You hate to hope someone was hurt but his shot was so far off that it had to be something.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I really think Manny O's improvement will be drastic
Aston04
AG
dcaggie04 said:

MarcAg said:

Every season he's been here his offense drops of the face of the earth near the end of the season. First year he shot 26% last two months. Last 5 games of the covid year, he shot 16%. This last season he shot 29% the last two months.
I think just means he feasts on bad competition.. Come conference play time it gets tough..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.