We are so close it's painful

3,575 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JPAggie2010
JPAggie2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have not gotten blown out in game. Not at home, on the road, or to a ranked team.

That's a huge step. For some reason we continue to turnover, play just sloppy enough to shoot ourselves in the foot. We missed two point blank layups/dunks that would have give us this road victory. We went to overtime at Arky. Kentucky was hard fought and just escaped.

Are we great, no. Are we good, yes. Good enough that no ranked team at home will treat us a practice game.

I am still optimistic something will click and we will string together a few quality wins and go dancing. No matter how painful or frustrating these games are, they are way better than anything we fielded last year. I will continue to be happy with the progress of the program overall based on my expectations at the beginning of the year. But we need to make a similar size jump next year and win everyone of those games we barely lost this year for me to continue to root for Buzz.

Bold prediction in this moment of sadness: we will go to the tourney this year and get to the second round.
bobinator
AG
I think because a lot of our guys are transfers it's easy to forget that they're mostly young players, many of them haven't played a full normal season of college basketball yet. Just keep grinding.
Gap
AG
Last year we were one of the worst P5 schools in the country. Better than that isn't really the bar we set we hired Buzz in 2019.
sincereag
I agree for the most part, but I think this is an NIT team. Also, Jackson got fouled on his layup attempt and then the refs make a crappy call on our defender against an out of control guard. Terrible finish but that's the way it goes sometimes.
davido
AG
Close is playing from behind, maybe taking a brief lead. Ending within six or so. Close is NOT being up and giving it away at the end, repeatedly. We've also given up big leads only to barely pull them out against bad teams.

That's not close, it's something else.
Just Tired
JPAggie2010 said:

We are so close it's painful
you are at least half-right.
Topher17
AG
davido said:

Close is playing from behind, maybe taking a brief lead. Ending within six or so. Close is NOT being up and giving it away at the end. That's not close, it's something else.

So what is it then?
Because to me that sounds like a team that is close, but just can't finish against top level teams yet.
Tavares19
AG
At some point Buzz has to recruit a legit big or we're going to get more of the same going forward. Not a 6'8" combo forward currently playing JUCO
JPAggie2010
AG
I didn't say I think he was "there" or that I am fine with this being our ceiling. We hired him to resurrect our program. This year is a big step from bottom barrel to middle tier/on the cusp. Next year we need to be ranked/seen as a very good program by all. If he can't get us there then we need to hire the next guy. But I am okay with how we are currently progressing.

If next year we are in the bottom half of the SEC, he should be fired.
CampingAg
AG
Gap said:

Last year we were one of the worst P5 schools in the country. Better than that isn't really the bar we set we hired Buzz in 2019.

From one of the worst P5 schools to being a shot or two away against our last three opponents is quite a leap.
MarcAg
AG
We have to find bigs. Even if Buzz wants to play small ball, we have to upgrade our bigs. Henderson and Brown aren't even seeing the court in second half because they are so bad. That has to be addressed in the portal. Hopefully Smith can give us something next year.
davido
AG
Topher17 said:

davido said:

Close is playing from behind, maybe taking a brief lead. Ending within six or so. Close is NOT being up and giving it away at the end. That's not close, it's something else.

So what is it then?
Because to me that sounds like a team that is close, but just can't finish against top level teams yet.

If you're saying it in the same way Sherman was "close" then I guess I'd have to concede.
TopoTacos
AG
MarcAg said:

We have to find bigs. Even if Buzz wants to play small ball, we have to upgrade our bigs. Henderson and Brown aren't even seeing the court in second half because they are so bad. That has to be addressed in the portal. Hopefully Smith can give us something next year.

What's the story on Smith? Respectfully, if he can't get a couple minutes over Brown right now I'm not gonna expect him to be a factor next year…
SECTAMU#1
JPAggie2010 said:

We have not gotten blown out in game. Not at home, on the road, or to a ranked team.

That's a huge step. For some reason we continue to turnover, play just sloppy enough to shoot ourselves in the foot. We missed two point blank layups/dunks that would have give us this road victory. We went to overtime at Arky. Kentucky was hard fought and just escaped.

Are we great, no. Are we good, yes. Good enough that no ranked team at home will treat us a practice game.

I am still optimistic something will click and we will string together a few quality wins and go dancing. No matter how painful or frustrating these games are, they are way better than anything we fielded last year. I will continue to be happy with the progress of the program overall based on my expectations at the beginning of the year. But we need to make a similar size jump next year and win everyone of those games we barely lost this year for me to continue to root for Buzz.

Bold prediction in this moment of sadness: we will go to the tourney this year and get to the second round.
Without an inside presence, this team will not make it to the NCAA Tourney. This team works hard and has been in every game so far, but the turnovers and lack of free throw shooting will limit this team's chances.
MarcAg
AG
TopoTacos said:

MarcAg said:

What's the story on Smith? Respectfully, if he can't get a couple minutes over Brown right now I'm not gonna expect him to be a factor next year…

Buzz says he redshirting. Smith is very athletic. I would think because he's athletic abs because he has 30+ pounds on Henderson he could get minutes but they decided not to give him any play and redshirt him.
Fairview20
AG
We moved up about 10 spots in the KenPom ratings last night. The sky isn't falling like many here want it to be.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Coaches cannot teach free throw shooting, and that's deplorable.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
JPAggie2010
AG
Agreed. The presence of a big would be game changing. Literally. Somehow I still think we find a way this year. Even if it's luck.
Fairview20
AG
We also moved up in both the Bracketologists.com database as well as the bracket matrix one. So everyone saying last night's loss was a nail in the coffin of our tourney chances are way off base.
bobinator
AG
Only an idiot would say last night's game was a nail in the coffin.

It's just a missed opportunity, and we only have so many of them, so each time that we let one slip by, it hurts. Like I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed today if we'd have just gotten blasted last night, but to get that close...
Fairview20
AG
I agree, last night was a huge missed opportunity and makes our room for error a lot smaller than it needed to be.
McGibblets
AG
I don't really understand the people who think the season is over. 4-3 is probably where most everyone would've predicted us before SEC play started. The only big change would be no one would've known that LSU would be missing key players.

Would it have been nice to at least win one between LSU and arky? Absolutely. Should we have won at least one? Probably. But to act like the season is over is crazy. This team has been close in every game they've played this year. If you keep winning the games you should and can squeak out one or two that you're not expecting, they'll easily make the tournament
ar1996
AG
Exactly. It's just the fashion in which we have lost these 3 games that is frustrating. But if you'd have told me prior to conference play that we'd start off 4-3 I'd have taken it.

This team still has a legit opportunity to get to 11-7 or even 12-6. Even if they finish at 9-9 or 10-8 I think this team is built well for an SEC Tournament run to grab a couple more resume boosting wins.
CDub06
AG
Pain confirmed.
bobinator
AG
But isn't it kind of a good pain?

We're back in the fight this year. Got a ways to go and we've let some chances slip, but we're in it.
phatty26
Even if we had a dominant big I dont know if we could get him the ball consistently. We are terrible with the ball trying to run plays for our bigs.
phatty26
Correction Coleman, we only have one low post player.
halfastros81
AG
One more guy that can defend in the post and be a bit more of an offensive threat and we are a good team. Don't get me wrong, We're pretty good anyway but that would be a difference maker that would take us from pretty good bubble team to really good no doubter in the tourney.

Team has come a long way, got a ways to go.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Agree with OP, just need a few things to click
CDub06
AG
It's certainly fun again. I'll never complain about watching hustle.
rlb28
AG
Buzz mentions "continuity percent" or "continuity minutes" in his pressers. It might be him making excuses, but it's a THING. Kenpom has started touting it. Basically the reason we are near last place in that stat is the Aggies are young, have a lot of transfers and haven't played together much.
SECTAMU#1
SECTAMU#1 said:

JPAggie2010 said:

Without an inside presence, this team will not make it to the NCAA Tourney. This team works hard and has been in every game so far, but the turnovers and lack of free throw shooting will limit this team's chances.
Same thing tonight.
Just Tired
Maroon Dawn said:

Agree with OP, just need a few things to click

here is where "what a terrible day" would be a more accurate take.
Tibbers
No longer close, now it's just painful.
Fairview20
AG
The lack of inside presence was not why we lost tonight. Coleman had a double double and Henderson was close. We lost because we don't have a guard that can consistently beat his man off the dribble, and we do nothing offensively to combat that. I told my buddy our offense looked like the old Rockets offense with Harden… 4 guys stand in their spots while one guy dribbles and tries to make something happen. Only problem is we don't have Harden on the team lol.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.