Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Basketball

An offseason update with Texas A&M basketball coach Buzz Williams

August 25, 2021

Key notes from Buzz Williams interview

• It has been a lot. It has been good. We needed to make changes in a positive direction. Based on what we can control and know right now, we've been accountable in how we've reconstructed the roster and staff.

• We've had a good summer. It has been very busy. We've signed 11 players, 10 of which will be on our team. The rules have changed in recruiting and transferring. Our coaches have done a fabulous job recreating the team in the image of what we want to be about.

• We've done different things individually to help the guys on their game. We started to build as the summer went on with "OTAs" like the NFL. We're building the team and the foundation. We're working on what we want to do offensively and defensively. Our guys have been home since summer school ended in August. They've been off for two weeks, and most are returning this week as school starts on Monday.

• Over the last 15 months, I've had to work harder than I ever had before. As difficult as everything has been, personally and professionally, I've grown more as a person than ever before. My priorities and how I invest my time are different. I'm not sure I'm necessarily a better coach. Only time will tell that. What I want to be about as a leader has changed because of what has transpired. Amidst all of the change, it's inevitable, but growth is optional. It's hard to grow when change happens so fast. You have to get better.

• I've tried to process all of the changes. I've spent a lot of time reviewing what has taken place since the pandemic began. I've gone back through all of my notes. In truth, to completely cleanse myself of all of that turmoil while making sure to retain all of the lessons from that.

• Hassan Diarra is from Queens, New York. What he has been through in his first year of eligibility gives me great respect for him coming back. Same with Hayden Hefner from Nederland. Andre Gordon has been here two years. Quenton Jackson is a COVID-senior and has already graduated from Texas A&M University. These guys mean a great deal to me.

• We will have fourteen scholarship guys because Jackson does not count against us.

• Tyrece Radford is from Baton Rouge. He was in our last recruiting class at Virginia Tech. He played two years and graduated in three academic years. He has three years of eligibility left.

• Jalen Johnson is another transfer, also from Baton Rouge. I've known him since he was in high school. He will give us some experience and maturity, which is very important.

• Marcus Williams is from Dickinson, and he was Freshman of the Year in the Mountain West. He should have an impact right away.

• Henry Coleman went to Duke out of high school and didn't have a good year whatsoever at Duke.

• Ethan Henderson is 6-8.5. Long, runner and jumper. Really good defender and transfer from Arkansas. He'll be a COVID-junior.

• Javonte Brown-Ferguson sat out last year after transferring at Christmas. He's from Toronto and went to UConn out of high school. He hasn't used any eligibility yet.

• Aaron Johnson-Cash played at Grayson Community College. 6-6 and has improved a lot. He is a beautiful human being who could be an elite-level rebounder.

• We signed three freshmen who I am excited about. Wade Taylor, Manny Obaseki and Ashton Smith. All three of those guys signed in the fall.

• Of the 10 players I just named, the first day they saw Texas A&M was when they attended their first day of school because there were no visits. Our whole staff helped them move in because it was the first time the staff could see these kids and their parents face-to-face. It was the most unique move-in day ever.

• I've been fortunate to have been to Maui before. We got beat by Brad Stevens in our second game by a 75-foot shot off the glass. I won my 100th game at Maui in our third game against Kevin O'Neal, who used to be in the NBA. O'Neal also used to be at Marquette. I've had a lot of fun in Maui. No matter who is there, the environment and the exposure are incredible. It's hard to get into Maui, and it'll be a great experience for our program and the fans that can join us.

• Obviously, I'll miss the first two games, and that will be the end of our penalties from what took place during the pandemic. I hate that, and I'm not sure how I can handle that. That will be done before we go to Maui.
Discussion from...

An offseason update with Texas A&M basketball coach Buzz Williams

3,846 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by phorizt
skaggsjw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone notice the extent to which Buzz made a point of this underperformance last year at Duke?

Quote:

Henry Coleman went to Duke out of high school and didn't have a good year whatsoever at Duke.

Sounds like he expects quite a bit more from him here.
Ag4eva95
Who is the 11th guy? He only named 10
Expert Analysis
AG
Hall.

I just noticed Henderson is in the image at the top from our game with Arky.
LawHall88
AG
cbmik95 said:

Who is the 11th guy? He only named 10
I assume Jordan Hall, who came and went.
Ag_EE_88
AG
He said only 10 were going to be on the team. I figure he didn't think it was important to name a guy who wasn't in school.
aggiejohn
AG
Was he talking about Javonte Brown who transferred in for the spring 2021 semester (sat out/redshirted) and wasn't a typical signee?
phorizt
He was talking about Hall
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.