Proposed 125 million dollar upgrade of Reed

42,811 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by monarch
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old AD didn't get it done. New AD has to figure out if it matters…or if replacing coaching or avoiding hampering NIL funds is more effective.

I doubt seriously putting lipstick on Reed will be as satisfying as the number suggests.

It would be interesting to figure out how to solve the shooting dilemma first, though. And, no, I don't mean offing our coaches…
halfastros81
AG
Totally agree wrt the shooting dilemna.
Muy
AG
A better seating design plus suites would be huge for Reed to step up as a basketball arena. I wouldn't waste too much on the facade on the outside, just focus on the inside layout and design.
northeastag
AG
I just can't buy the BS about needing a better facility. Keeping up with the Joneses, blah, blah, blah. If we don't do it, good players and coaches won't come here, blah, blah, ,blah.

FAU plays in a 2900 seat arena in Boca, and made the final four last year.

It is just so Freaking Aggie to blow money everywhere and think it will make a difference.

JJxvi
AG
There is no area where you can spend money for guaranteed results. We can spend enough and put resources into the sport at levels commensurate or above our competition and we pretty much do that, but it won't buy wins. Everybody else is also trying to win, and there's always bad luck or information you didn't know. Throwing money at the problem is not really a mentality that actually works, it really only greases the wheels some to make it an easier push if everything else (smart decisions, hard work, good culture) is equal.

A decision on the arena is not about winning and losing at all except as a tangential affect. If you want to buy wins, the arena is the last place to do it. The arena is about the fans and making the basketball a better product for the fan, not about making a better product in terms of competition.
greg.w.h
AG
JJxvi said:

There is no area where you can spend money for guaranteed results. We can spend enough and put resources into the sport at levels commensurate or above our competition and we pretty much do that, but it won't buy wins. Everybody else is also trying to win, and there's always bad luck or information you didn't know. Throwing money at the problem is not really a mentality that actually works, it really only greases the wheels some to make it an easier push if everything else (smart decisions, hard work, good culture) is equal.

A decision on the arena is not about winning and losing at all except as a tangential affect. If you want to buy wins, the arena is the last place to do it. The arena is about the fans and making the basketball a better product for the fan, not about making a better product in terms of competition.
This arena is lots of concrete, too…but it's the fans that bring it to life. And its amenities are pretty much standard fare for an '83 buildout that was renovated twice. My last time in it was for a FIRST event my kids were in. Was a regional so pretty crazy but not as much as the nationals in the old Ram Dome in STL.

But they live and breathe basketball and yet they have way more excitement at Kinnick.

This thing happens in degrees. I think the spend being proposed did not get funded by donors. We need better team for the experience to consistently be awesome. Upgrading Reed might help. But fan support will wax and wane until the team waxes without waning.

https://hawkeyesports.com/carver-hawkeye-arena/

Aggie Therapist
AG
JJxvi said:

I don't think we are winning anything in basketball for a very long time. Why not just make it look nicer for the fans and players.

Look how much we dump into Kyle and that football program with nothing to show…..
Picadillo
Could we still do tractor pulls in there?
DukeMu
Aggie09Derek said:

DFWnation said:

We can't even fill Reed as is. Expanding it would be a waste of time and resources.
Just by looking at pictures, I'm assuming this will be reducing seating.

Definitely reduced seating.
DukeMu
PJYoung said:

Quote:

This major upgrade will refresh our basketball arena to include premier seating and club areas with hospitality services. We will widen our concourse and open it up to improve access and viewing while visiting concessions. We will reconfigure how our arena looks on the inside and offer more dynamic and engaging visuals to bring a second-to-none experience to student-athletes and fans.

At least the number of people drawn in the crowd has been accurate.
monarch
S
Again? Leave Reed alone

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.