***NCAA Tournament Second Weekend Thread***

48,180 Views | 740 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kellso
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't start until tomorrow but figured we can get the conversation started. What game are y'all looking forward to most?

I'm not convinced any of the Saturday games will be close until Houston/Syracuse.

Game of the weekend for me is FSU/Michigan.
UTExan
Pac 12 will probably exceed expectations. For once.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
wacarnolds
AG
It's a shame Gillispie isn't playing, otherwise Baylor-Villanova would be the matchup of the weekend. Could still be exciting.
wacarnolds
AG
UTExan said:

Pac 12 will probably exceed expectations. For once.

They get an auto-bid to the Elite 8 with the Oregon-USC pairing, but I think Alabama will work UCLA. And if Loyola takes care of Oregon St, I think some of that 1st weekend shine will come off the P12.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Game of the weekend for me is FSU/Michigan.

Great matchup. Both teams can shoot it so it should be exciting. I think FSU gets overwhelmed by their turnovers at times, but Michigan's defense isn't built to take advantage of that.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, could be. I think Baylor will wipe them but we can hope.
CFTXAG10
AG
bobinator said:

I'm not convinced any of the Saturday games will be close until Houston/Syracuse.
I am in a 2-phase pool and picking this game is haunting me. Line opened at -6 and moved to -6.5 to favor UH but Syracuse has been the better tourney team imo so far. Would like to know more about Jarreau and how he is feeling.
bobinator
AG
I find it hard to believe they're going to shoot better than 45% from 3 again, and I'd have a hard time picking against a Sampson team in a streetfight.
Trucker 96
I hate this effing schedule. Thursday-Sunday is how it should be.
Bonfired
AG
Fore Left! said:

I hate this effing schedule. Thursday-Sunday is how it should be.

Yeah, Saturday-Tuesday is odd. I guess they didn't want total overlap with the women's schedule?
_lefraud_
AG
The women's games start about 45min before each mens game today and tomorrow...which will hurt the women's game even more.

The men should have gone Friday - Monday, just like they did last week...but I'm sure it was all TV driven.
Trucker 96
I dont see how it's tv driven because Thursday is a pretty prime night. I understand starting the 1st round a day later this year to allow time for all of the protocols, etc. But I really see no reason to deviate from how they've been doing the 3rd and 4th rounds for 40+ years
TyHolden
AG
they don't want to compete with the Cosby Show, Friends, and ER on Thursday....
bobinator
AG
Heady stuff by Oregon State to come up with their own old person to counter Sister Jean's mojo
amercer
AG
Man college kids can't shoot
Pumpkinhead
AG
This Oregon st/Loyola game, first one to 40 points wins?
bobinator
AG
Not exactly a work of art in this one yeah.

Glad OSU made a run though, thought for a minute they were just going to get worked from the tip. Need them to battle a little at least.
amercer
AG
Is there anything in college ball that isn't a charge?
bobinator
AG
Gotta give the people what they want. People tune in to see defenders flopping around like fish the court and sliding in the way of drives.
_lefraud_
AG
The price to pay to enjoy upsets in the early rounds...****ty regionals.
LawHall88
AG
Loyola looks like total crap. Nerves? Fatigue? Overconfidence? Pac-12 dominance?
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Not exactly a work of art in this one yeah.

Glad OSU made a run though, thought for a minute they were just going to get worked from the tip. Need them to battle a little at least.

Looks like Oregon State going way beyond just 'battling'.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LawHall88 said:

Loyola looks like total crap. Nerves? Fatigue? Overconfidence? Pac-12 dominance?

Their defense is good as expected, Oregon State unlikely to get to 60, but offensively...yikes!
bobinator
AG
Maybe we can salvage an exciting ending out of this
Topher17
AG
I can't really think of a more boring Elite 8 team than Oregon State. And I really can't think of a more boring matchup than Oregon St and Syracuse
bobinator
AG
Well that was exciting for a couple seconds
HossAg
AG
Damn. He had to hit that shot.
Topher17
AG
Loyola couldn't buy a 3 today

This sport is so beautifully dumb
bobinator
AG
Loyola just looked off today. Nowhere near the crispness they had last weekend.
bobinator
AG
Now we need Nova to go one shining moment for us
Topher17
AG
bobinator said:

Now we need Nova to go one shining moment for us

Absolutely need it!
miller0926
AG
The Beavers are what we would've been last season if the season played out.

Seriously though, this is a pretty impressive run. I feel like all 3 teams they've beaten would've beaten half of the other S16 teams.
Topher17
AG
Prior to that I did not care about the UH/Cuse outcome, but I'm now firmly on hoping Houston wins. I do not want to watch OSU/Cuse.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Loyola scored just 16 points in the 1st half. They scored 42 points in the 2nd half, but it was still not enough to win because they also allowed Oregon State to score 41 points in that half.
CFTXAG10
AG
That game was Exhibit A of what happens when the favorite has an off day in the tourney. Happens all the time. No sister J magic today. Really couldn't believe how cold Loyola was in that first half

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.