Battle 4 Atlantis

9,751 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarcAg
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You say that because we've been wanting to play those schools we can reach by bus (Baylor, Houston, Texas, TCU, etc..) for a while now
expresswrittenconsent
Proposition Joe said:

You say that because we've been wanting to play those schools we can reach by bus (Baylor, Houston, Texas, TCU, etc..) for a while now

Its his damned "land travel heavy" investment portfolio. That's what is behind 99% of his ideas.
rlb28
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-tourists-barred-entering-bahamas-033327187.html
Pumpkinhead
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Create a 'SWC pre-season classic' and bring the old SWC gang back together for a Thanksgiving tournament... That would be pretty awesome. A&M, tu, Baylor, TCU, Tech, Houston, SMU, OU, Arky...I guess an issue is they wouldn't want Big 12 or SEC schools to play another school in their own conference in non-con.
bobinator
AG
I bought into charter busses a while back and I've been waiting for this moment dammit!
Proposition Joe
So who will be taking Ohio State's place in the basketball tournament that isn't gonna happen?
McGibblets
AG
Obviously the chances of this happening are next to none, but I believe Big 10's decision didn't not involve basketball. PAC-12 was the only one that cancelled hoops through the end of the year
DeangeloVickers
AG
If it doesn't happen in Bahamas, I can only think of one place similar

Waco
aggiejohn
AG
Or Lake Conroe.
MarcAg
AG
I cancelled my reservation this weekend for the tournament. Figure it's not happening. If it does I can live without going or can always rebook. Already started planning trip to Hawaii next year instead.
wacarnolds
AG
Bahamas. South Dakota. Same difference.

Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Bahamas. South Dakota. Same difference.
LOL actually happened when I read this. Good one.
TXAggie2011
AG
So, I take it they want to play in South Dakota so we can all not travel all the way to Sioux Falls in the winter and attend games but could if we wanted to because they're "open for business"?
wacarnolds
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

So, I take it they want to play in South Dakota so we can all not travel all the way to Sioux Falls in the winter and attend games but could if we wanted to because they're "open for business"?

The subsequent tweets in that thread talk about the SD facility being especially well-run/situated for dealing with COVID.
LawHall88
AG
Who needs pre-conference play tournaments?
bobinator
AG
I actually kind of like the idea for this year. Let's get weird. Play whoever you can wherever and whenever you can, and don't worry about it because everyone's going dancing at the end of the year.
LawHall88
AG
Except the plan will incorporate conference tourneys into the NCAA tourney, so most teams won't get extra games when all is said and done. The plan would allow the entire tourney be done in "bubbles."
Ag13
AG
Gap
AG
From the Bahamas to South Dakota in Winter.

Might as well have hosted it in College Station. Better weather, students will be gone before Thanksgiving, and plenty of hotel space.
Gap
AG
And who is going to replace Utah as the Pac-12 has eliminated all sports competitions through end of the calendar year?
LawHall88
AG
So, now I'm confused. Who will be sponsoring this Battle 4 Atlantis reboot in South Dakota?
wacarnolds
AG
Boooo

LawHall88
AG
wacarnolds said:

Boooo

Duke is probably trading up to play a tourney in Orlando or Asheville.
wacarnolds
AG
LawHall88 said:

Duke is probably trading up to play a tourney in Orlando or Asheville.

That wouldn't surprise me.

Could also be a scheduling conflict with the Champions Classic, which would obviously take priority. And with the success of the NBA bubble in Orlando so far, I'm sure the universities would be more comfortable with that venue vs a less proven one in Souix Falls. Not to mention the difference in travel. And weather, too.
miller0926
AG
wacarnolds
AG
Oh well. Our chances of winning the tournament, whatever they were, just went up bigly.
miller0926
AG

Well this would suck
bobinator
AG
All that really means is that the event needs a new sponsor.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

A healthcare entity named "Sanford Health" owns (or sponsors) the arena in South Dakota where the tourney would be played. I assume it would be the sponsor. Hopefully this gets done and it's on television somewhere.
miller0926
AG
bobinator said:

You're right. I got an alert to my phone with this article and thought it was over. But if you read at the very end, there's nothing stopping the other 7 teams from still playing.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/battle-4-atlantis-canceled-not-relocating-from-bahamas-to-south-dakota-215852407.html
Gap
AG
miller0926 said:

Kind of upside down given the Duke family and namesake's fortune was made in tobacco and slavery.

Perhaps Duke can give up the $8-10 billion endowment the school has that was created harming others with tobacco and owning other humans. Repent now.
Ol Jock 99
AG
They didn't grow tobacco until after the Civil War. Good try though.
Gap
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

They didn't grow tobacco until after the Civil War. Good try though.
pre-war = tobacco (began in 1859 and interrupted by the war, went all tobacco in 1863) and slaves

post- war = tobacco (much bigger)
MarcAg
AG
A lot of teams dropping out of these tournaments. Will be curious to see what ultimately happens and if everyone with the exception of Duke stays in.
wacarnolds
AG
Who dropped out?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.