2020-2021 Schedule

15,080 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mikeyshooter
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please end these lame "neutral" site games against in-state opponents. Just play them on campus.

And with this series, why isn't our neutral site game across town at Bryan HS if we are playing TCU in Ft. Worth anyway?
Uncle Jimbo
All for playing TCU, but would rather play Texas, Tech, or Baylor.

The neutral site thing sucks, though. I realize the economics behind it, but I think it has intangible costs that the decision makers don't seem to consider.

You can't be upset with students for not showing up when your only interesting games are off campus.
bobinator
AG
I don't ever want to play Texas or Baylor at a neutral site unless it's in the NCAA's or one of the fall tournaments.

I'm not sure I see much value in playing TCU at a neutral site either, but maybe the money is good from the venue or something. TCU isn't exactly a moves-the-needle opponent anyway, so I'm not like personally offended by this game being at neutral sites like I would be if it were Texas or Baylor or something.
MarcAg
AG
I think we should be playing a game every year in DFW and a game in Houston. Doesn't mean it can't be SMU or TCU on their campus and then Houston and Rice on theirs. But I think that's another opportunity for Texas kids (recruits) to get to see the Ags in action. I think anytime a kid sees A&M in person and more particularly see Buzz coach in person it's going to help.

Dixon is doing a good job of making TCU competitive. They have a nice team coming back next season. They have a big guy that I think could be an all big 12 center and some talented guards. Also have Ed Obannon's kid who was a McD's AA coming in.
MarcAg
AG
Quote:

Barf. Neither A&M nor TCU has a big enough hoops following to warrant neutral site games. I guess (hope?) the payday the programs will get is worth playing in arenas that are 80% empty (or 20% full, if you're an optimist.)

I think that game in Ft Worth will have a good turnout (depending on date). Lot of Aggies in DFW will attend after seeing what Buzz did last season. Plus TCU fans will want to see their team try to beat A&M.

Unless it's scheduled poorly (like on a football Saturday) there will be 8,000 at that game which will be more than most of our non-conference basketball games.
expresswrittenconsent
MarcAg said:

Quote:

Barf. Neither A&M nor TCU has a big enough hoops following to warrant neutral site games. I guess (hope?) the payday the programs will get is worth playing in arenas that are 80% empty (or 20% full, if you're an optimist.)

I think that game in Ft Worth will have a good turnout (depending on date). Lot of Aggies in DFW will attend after seeing what Buzz did last season. Plus TCU fans will want to see their team try to beat A&M.

Unless it's scheduled poorly (like on a football Saturday) there will be 8,000 at that game which will be more than most of our non-conference basketball games.

Thats a road game, though. The problem is our return game is going to be 100 miles from campus in a 19000 seat arena with 18000 empty seats.
MarcAg
AG
Yeah I dont know how much you will see in Houston. TCU has a small alumni base, so there aren't a ton of frogs in Houston (or anywhere). I don't see a lot of Frogs traveling, so that game's attendance is completely dependent on Aggies. If A&M is able to get back to the NCAA tournament this coming season, do you think Houston Ags will turn out for that game?

Somebody asked about the $$ being offered for these neutral site games. I think these games are 100% about recruiting and not about the $$.
expresswrittenconsent
Agree its recruiting related.
And "multi year" could be only 2 seasons for all we know as of now (admittedly that seems unlikely).
TXAggie2011
AG
I imagine TCU will appear quite a bit at Dickies Arena. Basically a second home for them. Like UCLA back in the day playing games around LA when they expected a bigger than usual crowd.

The game in Houston will feel really, really empty
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I don't ever want to play Texas or Baylor at a neutral site unless it's in the NCAA's or one of the fall tournaments.
Yep. Those games need to be played in front of an excited student body.
MarcAg
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Agree its recruiting related.
And "multi year" could be only 2 seasons for all we know as of now (admittedly that seems unlikely).
I assumed it was 2 years only
Proposition Joe
Both schools screwing over their season ticket base.
AgEfan
The state of Texas has some really good programs going who all seem to be getting better. I'm all for playing them regardless of where.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Proposition Joe said:

How will our program survive with hundreds of upset season ticket holders?
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

Proposition Joe said:

It will survive on the tit of the football program and reputable basketball schools around the nation, like it always has. Doesn't mean he's wrong.
Proposition Joe
Junkhead said:

Proposition Joe said:

It will survive with about a dozen less season ticket holders that continually get tired of no effort being made to create a decent non-conf schedule.

It's just a slap in the face to take a mediocre payout to move these games to a neutral court that will be half full at best. The USC/TCU game was a joke attendance-wise, and you saw the A&M/Texas game with your own eyes -- they were moving people from the upper levels to lower level seats because demand wasn't there.

TCU/A&M is going to be even worse than the LoneStar Showdown was.
TXAggie2011
AG
They jacked the ticket prices up for the games at Dickies last year, which was too bad.

I hope, knowing it probably won't happen, that they're lower now that they're not "opening the new arena."
expresswrittenconsent
By process of elimination, i have decided this means no TCU for us jn the b12/sec challenge the next 2 yrs.
MarcAg
AG
Also no West Virginia this year
Proposition Joe
TXAggie2011 said:

They jacked the ticket prices up for the games at Dickies last year, which was too bad.

I hope, knowing it probably won't happen, that they're lower now that they're not "opening the new arena."

They'll price lower, but the venue very much subscribes to the en vogue "slow ticketing" where you price sky high and don't care that much if you don't pack the house. The held back a considerable amount of lower level and floor tickets thinking demand would pick up and basically dumped them all the week of the game.

We probably had some of the best seats in the house, and we were surrounded by Longhorns.
Super Aggie 64
AG
I will predict Saturday December 12th as the date for the TCU game.

11/11: North Florida
11/15: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
11/20: Houston Baptist
11/25-11/27: Battle 4 Atlantis (3)
12/2: Tarleton St
12/6: UT Rio Grande Valley
12/21: Wofford
12/29: Southeastern Louisiana

12/?: TCU (Ft Worth)
1/30: @ Big 12? (We had a home game the last two years. The Big12-SEC challenge has been on the last Saturday of January since 2016.)

That makes 12 non-conference games if we are in the Big12-SEC challenge. We can schedule 1 more. Hopefully it is a home game vs a Power 5 or big name team.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Attendance for last year's games at Dickies Arena
USC vs TCU (Friday Dec 6): 5656
Texas A&M vs tu (Sunday Dec 8): 9136
Aston04
AG
Quote:

Back in 2015, I seriously considered going to that Battle-4-Atlantis tournament, but had a hard time justifying the cost of the trip. I knew that 2015-2016 team was going to be really good and worthwhile to watch, but Yeah, I think I remember looking at something like 5-7K even if only two people, and I was wanting to take a kid or two in addition to the wife. And I had already been to the Bahamas a couple of times in the past (cruise ship stuff) and am not much of a beach/pool guy to begin with - not speaking though for the wife and kids who definitely are.
Was in the same boat. Didn't believe in the coach (even though I knew the roster was loaded), so didn't go.

Probably a mistake in hindsight. A&M had a very good week.

The 2 tournaments I'd like to go to - the Hawaii one and the B4A. Dad (ND grad) and I are talking about going in 2021 to Hawaii. Hope it happens.
Aston04
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

MarcAg said:

Quote:

Ag

Thats a road game, though. The problem is our return game is going to be 100 miles from campus in a 19000 seat arena with 18000 empty seats.
Agreed- wish it was just a simple home and home series. No need for these neutral sites. Especially hurts us because our "home" arena isn't close to campus.
bobinator
AG
I'd still rather it be home and home, but I'd at least be okay with the neutral site games if they're part of some kind of doubleheader during the holidays. Like when we played LSU in Houston and Texas played Michigan State. That was kinda fun.
MarcAg
AG
I wonder if we will schedule a home and home with the Longhorns starting this year. I don't care if we play them in football, but would love to see a basketball home and home start up. Buzz sad he would love to see it.
bobinator
AG
The slate is full right? Pending the SEC/Big12 challenge?
Luke The Drifter
AG
Question: The year we are playing TCU in Houston, is the Toyota Center slated to host opening weekend NCAA tourney games? If so, they are required to host a certain number of college games throughout the year to work on logistics and such so they're ready to go when March Madness begins. If that's the case, there's a fair chance the Toyota Center is paying us to host our home game in their arena.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

The slate is full right? Pending the SEC/Big12 challenge?

You are right. If we are in that then we are done because the cap is 31 games (if you play An in season tourney), right?

Those weren't announced until July last summer, but I'm guessing teams not in it find out long before that. So I'm sure they know or will know soon if they are participating in that
Luke The Drifter
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Question: The year we are playing TCU in Houston, is the Toyota Center slated to host opening weekend NCAA tourney games? If so, they are required to host a certain number of college games throughout the year to work on logistics and such so they're ready to go when March Madness begins. If that's the case, there's a fair chance the Toyota Center is paying us to host our home game in their arena.

Well, scratch that theory. No mention of the Toyota Center in '21 or '22.

2021 NCAA Tourney Sites

2022 NCAA Tourney Sites
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
bobinator
AG
I mean they're definitely paying us to host it there. Surely.
Method Man
I liked playing at UH. They sell beer.
bobinator
AG
I think it would be cool to play it at a big high school gym or something. At least then the crowd might feel big. Play at Delmar.
Proposition Joe
College hoops hasn't fully resorted to the gimmick games yet like many of the pro sports, but as attendance declines we'll start to see it.
expresswrittenconsent
Or maybe something cool like an aircraft carrier. Or how about we do a tour of our campus for the sake of nostalgia. Like a game outdoors in the Grove. Then maybe a home game in NYC so we can be like Duke, but instead of MSG, we could play it outdoors at Rucker Park.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.