2020-2021 Schedule

14,976 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mikeyshooter
Mustang1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some games added:

11/11: North Florida
11/15: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
11/20: Houston Baptist
11/25-11/27: Battle 4 Atlantis (3)
12/2: Tarleton St
12/6: UT Rio Grande Valley
TBA: @TCU
12/18: Boise St (Houston)
12/21: Wofford
12/29: Southeastern Louisiana

Mustang1
AG

Method Man
Wofford Terriers! Great mascot.
mazag08
AG
Love the Wofford game. If we're going to pay to play nobodies, I would rather it at least be some fresh meat. I get tired of the directional Louisiana schools.
Isaih Smollett
riveting
OasisMan
AG
Should I book tix to Nassau?!
#Mke
AG
Getting the 'sips on the schedule would be great, baseball series has been a blast, now bring the basketball series to campus and let's watch Buzz kick Longhorn *** !!!
MarcAg
AG
OasisMan said:

I've been holding out. I almost booked in January before all this, but decided not to.

Airline tickets aren't cheap at $1200 from Dallas. They were allowing you to buy tickets to just your team's games starting at $180. That was my plan and then but individuals for any games I might want to see not involving A&M as the tourney progresses. But now they are only selling full game packages starting at $450 a pop. So this trip is going to cost me $6k easily for two. And that's before food at Atlantis which is insanely expensive. I guess I could stay outside of Atlantis but that seems like a pain and not easy to hit the beach/pool between games. So I'm waiting until kids are back on campus before I finalize anything.
Luke The Drifter
AG
We'll have plenty of other marquee games on the docket, so I don't mind playing games like this. Wofford has been decent in the past - seems like they make the NCAAs from time to time. And isn't North Florida one of those up-and-coming new-ish programs, kind of like Florida Gulf Coast was a few years back?

With the games in the Bahamas on the schedule along with an improving SEC, we'll be fine. I bet will fill in the gaps with some other notable, exciting opponents.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
OasisMan
AG
MarcAg said:

OasisMan said:

I've been holding out. I almost booked in January before all this, but decided not to.

Airline tickets aren't cheap at $1200 from Dallas. They were allowing you to buy tickets to just your team's games starting at $180. That was my plan and then but individuals for any games I might want to see not involving A&M as the tourney progresses. But now they are only selling full game packages starting at $450 a pop. So this trip is going to cost me $6k easily for two. And that's before food at Atlantis which is insanely expensive. I guess I could stay outside of Atlantis but that seems like a pain and not easy to hit the beach/pool between games. So I'm waiting until kids are back on campus before I finalize anything.
I booked lodging at the comfort inn nearby, so still get access to all the Atlantis features

I've seen from prior tourneys that people are buying team packages on site
MarcAg
AG
Just sent you a message Oasis.
AgEfan
#Mke said:

Getting the 'sips on the schedule would be great, baseball series has been a blast, now bring the basketball series to campus and let's watch Buzz kick Longhorn *** !!!
I bet we schedule them. I don't know if they will try to keep the neutral site game like this year or do a home and home, but I can see Buzz wanting to play that game
mazag08
AG
AgEfan said:

#Mke said:

I bet we schedule them. I don't know if they will try to keep the neutral site game like this year or do a home and home, but I can see Buzz wanting to play that game
Especially in the wake of Corona with more teams wanting to minimize travel.

I still think there should be a yearly non-conference Texas tournament.

Seeding using the last updated NET rankings. Seeding could be based on the final NET rankings from the previous season. The top 16 get to go to the tournament.

1. Baylor
2. Houston
3. Tech
4. Texas
5. SFA
6. SMU
7. TCU
8. North Texas
9. Texas A&M
10. Texas State
11. Abilene Christian
12. UTEP
13. Prairie View
14. UTSA
15. Rice
16. Sam Houston

The top 4 seed could host the first two rounds. Teams would be placed in pods of 4.

WACO Regional

1. Baylor
16. Sam Houston

8. North Texas
9. Texas A&M

HOUSTON Regional

2. Houston
15. Rice

7. TCU
10. Texas State

LUBBOCK Regional

3. Texas Tech
14. UTSA

6. SMU
11. Abilene Christian

Austin Regional

4. Texas
13. Lamar

5. SFA
12. UTEP

Then the winner of each regional could meet in a yearly rotating location between Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio for the Final Four.
DDowl44
AG
I like the TX Tournament idea but I'd want to invite neighbor states like NM, OK, AR, and LA schools that might be good. UT/LSU TAMU/OSU Tech/UNM, TCU/Arkie are amazing potential matchups
----------------------------------------------------
I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city-Themistocles

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009
Titan 20
MarcAg
AG
Sounds good, but conferences never play games against each other out of conference. TCU isnt going to play in a tournament Texas is in during the regular season. So you could have an 8 team tourney with a member from each of these conferences from the state of Texas.

Big 12
SEC (A&M)
CUSA
SWAC
Southland
The American
Sun Belt
WAC (UT RioGrand Valley)

Not sure what A&M gains by playing in this. If you want to play Houston and Texas just schedule them
Gap
AG
A 16 team Texas tournament kind of bores me. I'm just not that interested.

And beyond my feelz, it would never happen because so many of the teams are in the same conferences. It would be creating a 3rd meeting for several opponents.
Chuck Gay
AG
Wouldn't it be more realistic because teams need a guaranteed number of games (and using our pod noted above as the example teams) for us to have home games with North Texas and Sam Houston and sign a home/away with Baylor?
miller0926
AG
Still wonder who we are going to replace Gonzaga, Oregon St. & Boston College with. It's difficult to schedule P6 teams now because the Big Ten and ACC both went to 20 game conference schedules with some matchups in November & December, and now the New Big 12-Big East Challenge that started last year.

Also if you want to project out who we might play in the Big 12 challenge, see below. It looks like Baylor, Iowa St., Oklahoma St. and Kansas St. are all pretty sure bets to get a home game next year. I would think Baylor will get rewarded for last year and probably draw someone like Auburn. We just played the Pokes and K St. My bets would be @Iowa St. then @TCU.

https://imgur.com/pYielwf

https://imgur.com/uzhzzwR
MarcAg
AG
miller0926 said:

Still wonder who we are going to replace Gonzaga, Oregon St. & Boston College with. It's difficult to schedule P6 teams now because the Big Ten and ACC both went to 20 game conference schedules with some matchups in November & December, and now the New Big 12-Big East Challenge that started last year.

Also if you want to project out who we might play in the Big 12 challenge, see below. It looks like Baylor, Iowa St., Oklahoma St. and Kansas St. are all pretty sure bets to get a home game next year. I would think Baylor will get rewarded for last year and probably draw someone like Auburn. We just played the Pokes and K St. My bets would be @Iowa St. then @TCU.

https://imgur.com/pYielwf

https://imgur.com/uzhzzwR
I just made my dumb predictions on another board about the challenge. Dumb because they will almost all be wrong.

If we play in Big 12 - SEC Challenge I'll predict a matchup vs Oklahoma or TCU. Would love to see a Baylor or Tech matchup though.

It for sure wont be West Virginia. It's doubtful it would be Okie St. again.

Baylor at Kentucky
Florida at Kansas
Texas at Tennessee or Arkansas
Tech at Arkansas or Tennessee
Georgia at Okie St
Auburn at Iowa St
A&M at TCU
West Virginia at LSU
Oklahoma at South Carolina
Ole Miss at Kansas St

Sitting out- Vandy (2nd straight year), Miss St, Missouri and Alabama.
MarcAg
AG
miller0926 said:

I wonder if we will see less major conference teams traveling for away non-conference road games because of financial concerns. The small schools will travel because they are getting paid to play those. But is somebody like Cal going to want to pay to travel to College Station this year even with a return game given the following year?
Chuck Gay
AG
I'm surprised at the cost of some of the "buy" games in college basketball last year. I wonder if we might see a few more regional home and aways (i.e. Baylor, Houston, SMU type games) where we make a return trip as it saves the cash outlays.

Quote:

The most common guarantee is a $90,000 guarantee. Seventy-three of the buy games examined, or roughly 12 percent, had a $90,000 check attached to them.
Quote:

UC Riverside (received the below)

• Nebraska - $110,000
  • Fresno State - $85,000
  • San Jose State - $70,000

Evansville (received the below)
  • Kentucky - $90,000

Texas Tech (paid the below)
  • Houston Baptist - $115,000

Boston College (paid the below)
  • Albany - $115,000

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/investigating-college-basketball-buy-games/
mazag08
AG
Leave it to Tech to not double check the math and overpay.
West Point Aggie
AG
mazag08 said:

Leave it to Tech to not double check the math and overpay.

Not to mention bc
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

OasisMan said:

Back in 2015, I seriously considered going to that Battle-4-Atlantis tournament, but had a hard time justifying the cost of the trip. I knew that 2015-2016 team was going to be really good and worthwhile to watch, but Yeah, I think I remember looking at something like 5-7K even if only two people, and I was wanting to take a kid or two in addition to the wife. And I had already been to the Bahamas a couple of times in the past (cruise ship stuff) and am not much of a beach/pool guy to begin with - not speaking though for the wife and kids who definitely are.

That said...I've decided to definitely pull the trigger on that Hawaii tournament in 2021. That should be mostly past this COVID-19 pandemic so I wouldn't have to worry about no fan rules/cancelled games because of that. And Hawaii has some other stuff like Pearl Harbor (I'm a WW2 history buff) that puts that sort of vacation for me over the top not to mention the hoops games - and that Buzz 3rd Year team also should be really good.

So I'll be seeing some of ya'll maybe in Hawaii 2021 .
MarcAg
AG
I'm going to try to make Hawaii too.
miller0926
AG
Mine are:

Auburn @ Baylor
A&M @ Iowa St.
Kansas @ LSU
Arkansas @ Kansas St.
Oklahoma @ Missouri
Alabama @ Okie St.
TCU @ Tennessee
Florida @ Texas
Texas Tech @ Kentucky
West Virginia @ Mississippi St.
MarcAg
AG
I was going back between Iowa St or OU for A&M's opponent, but then looked at it more and changed it to TCU.

Tech and Kentucky played this year, so I doubt the run it back this year.
Mustang1
AG
greg.w.h
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

MarcAg said:

OasisMan said:

Back in 2015, I seriously considered going to that Battle-4-Atlantis tournament, but had a hard time justifying the cost of the trip. I knew that 2015-2016 team was going to be really good and worthwhile to watch, but Yeah, I think I remember looking at something like 5-7K even if only two people, and I was wanting to take a kid or two in addition to the wife. And I had already been to the Bahamas a couple of times in the past (cruise ship stuff) and am not much of a beach/pool guy to begin with - not speaking though for the wife and kids who definitely are.

That said...I've decided to definitely pull the trigger on that Hawaii tournament in 2021. That should be mostly past this COVID-19 pandemic so I wouldn't have to worry about no fan rules/cancelled games because of that. And Hawaii has some other stuff like Pearl Harbor (I'm a WW2 history buff) that puts that sort of vacation for me over the top not to mention the hoops games - and that Buzz 3rd Year team also should be really good.

So I'll be seeing some of ya'll maybe in Hawaii 2021 .

Make sure to go to at least one other island. Oahu is a little overbaked imho. Of course my parents lived there after I left the household so I might have visited that island too often...
DTuba
I'm excited about this.
Bunk Moreland

bobinator
AG
Tech would have been better but TCU is fine.
expresswrittenconsent
Bunk Moreland said:

Toyota Center looks rad with 1400 fans.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Barf. Neither A&M nor TCU has a big enough hoops following to warrant neutral site games. I guess (hope?) the payday the programs will get is worth playing in arenas that are 80% empty (or 20% full, if you're an optimist.)

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
aggiejohn
AG
True; I can attest this to be the case since I attended the Ags' loss to the Lobos in 2009.

All I can hope is that Buzz has us on such a roll in 1.5 years that the Ags local to Houston show up for this game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.