Our 3 pt percentage

8,223 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

Nebo also isn't particularly good at creating his own shot when he gets the chance, though he's been looking a lot better at it lately. But especially if the defender is taller he seems to struggle trying to get space.

But a really annoying thing last night was them letting Ole Miss just shove in the low post.

Remember when it was a point of emphasis that you could have two hands on a post player and putting an arm bar on the back of big was basically an automatic foul? Now you can apparently perform martial arts maneuvers against big men.

Yeah don't get me wrong I don't think Nebo is that great with the ball in his hands -- though like you said he had a couple of good looking shots last night.

But he had a few good looks vs Texas as well, and I'm sure some others I'm not remembering.

When the alternative is our lol3p% then it makes sense to ride him until he proves he can't handle it.
phorizt
Nebo gets to the FT line when we get it to him.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Well then good news. Our percentage is very likely to improve!

We've gotten worse!!!

23.4%!!!

Im missing 1986 through 1997 but I think it's pretty obvious we are the worst 3pt shooting team in the history of basketball. Surprised I can't find 1986 stats (first year of 3 pt line)
Complete Idiot
Yes and 23.4% puts us at 350 out of 350 teams and more than 2 full percentage points behind number 349.
greg.w.h
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Yes and 23.4% puts us at 350 out of 350 teams and more than 2 full percentage points behind number 349.
And yet, correct me if I'm wrong, if we stay in the low 300s and win the rest of our games we are still national champions...right??
Adam87inSA
AG
Proposition Joe said:

We don't have good enough ball handlers to penetrate without turning it over constantly.

Nebo needs to be getting a touch every trip down the court. He is the only player on our team that has shown he is capable of beating the other guy no matter what.

If Nebo works on passing out of double teams in practice to the open man, those looks from 3 will get a lot cleaner.

Buzz has a reluctance to actually run a post-game and would rather Nebo clean up things on 3-point shots... While the analytics point to that as being the macro move in college, you still need to work with what you got... Next year when we lose the bigs I'd be in support of a shift to perimeter shooting, but right now looking at the #'s it's just going against our strength.
Full agree. THE adjustment that was obvious for us in the second half is that the Ags made a very concerted effort to get Nebo touches on almost every half court set. The result? We stormed back into the game. Got some pass-out-from-the-post-to-perimeter 3 point shots as well and actually knocked one or two of those down (I remember Mitchell's specifically).

Another point is that Buzz would rather have the Ags get a shot up on the rim than turn it over. Sounds obvious, but the Ags did a better job of that last night. Ags crashed the o-glass very effectively to start the second half and it paid dividends.

The bad 3 point shooting metric is what it is and it's undeniably awful. What really counts is how many points we get per possession. If we miss a 3, get a rebound, and stick it back and/or get to the FT line, that's a far better possession than just turning the damn thing over.
PatAg
AG
Observationally speaking, we already get clean looks at 3, we just miss. I don't think the quality of the looks is the problem.

I do worry about Nebo wearing down under heavy minutes.
Complete Idiot
greg.w.h said:

Complete Idiot said:

And yet, correct me if I'm wrong, if we stay in the low 300s and win the rest of our games we are still national champions...right??
My sources confirm.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I think the quality of looks is sometimes part of the problem, but you don't join the ranks of the worst shooting teams of all time just because of looks. We're truly a horrific shooting team.

I also think it's easy to attribute our comeback to adjustments, but another huge factor in it was simply Tyree picking up his third foul. When he went out at the 18 minute mark it was 30-21, and when he got back in five minutes later it was 32-30 and it was game on.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, I think the quality of looks is sometimes part of the problem, but you don't join the ranks of the worst shooting teams of all time just because of looks. We're truly a horrific shooting team.

I also think it's easy to attribute our comeback to adjustments, but another huge factor in it was simply Tyree picking up his third foul. When he went out at the 18 minute mark it was 30-21, and when he got back in five minutes later it was 32-30 and it was game on.
Yeah, Kermit gambled and lost in leaving Tyree on the bench that long, even with 3 fouls.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I think it goes both ways... Tons of teams have poor shooters, tons of teams don't take good looks.

To be at the absolute bottom of the barrel means we're doing both. Getting cleaner looks isn't going to suddenly make us a good 3-point shooting team, but it won't have us near as dreadful.
EliteZags
AG
greg.w.h said:

Complete Idiot said:

if we finish the season with an average 3pt percentage on the year it will likely mean winning nearly all the rest of our games
DeangeloVickers
AG
We are not last anymore and not the worst 3 pt shooting basketball team in the history of college basketball

CapCityAg89
AG
A handful of more 45% games and we might become just really bad!
Philip J Fry
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

We are not last anymore and not the worst 3 pt shooting basketball team in the history of college basketball

Complete Idiot
Still ranked 36th nationally but managed to raise average up to over 29%, so we must be shooting around 32/33% in conference? Couldn't find conference stats.
wacarnolds
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Still ranked 36th nationally but managed to raise average up to over 29%, so we must be shooting around 32/33% in conference? Couldn't find conference stats.
.327 in SEC play, good for #8 in the conference.

.342 allowed in SEC play, good for #12 in conference.

So we're shooting significantly better in conference play, but our defensive 3P% has gone from a strength to a weakness.
bobinator
AG
It has, but I also think Buzz seems willing to live with it if we're creating turnovers and not sending the other team to the line. We're the best in the league at creating turnovers and the best at not allowing free throws.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

It has, but I also think Buzz seems willing to live with it if we're creating turnovers and not sending the other team to the line. We're the best in the league at creating turnovers and the best at not allowing free throws.
Yeah it's obvious what he's prioritizing with this year's defense
Aston04
AG
wacarnolds said:

Complete Idiot said:

.327 in SEC play, good for #8 in the conference.

.342 allowed in SEC play, good for #12 in conference.

So we're shooting significantly better in conference play, but our defensive 3P% has gone from a strength to a weakness.
Agreed- we are playing better teams and a more aggressive defensive style. The "buy in" defensively has been a big reason for our success. Love the token half court trap with Miller at the top.
94chem
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Yeah it's obvious what he's prioritizing with this year's defense

May be trying to keep Nebo out of weakside defensive responsibilities, which means lots of guards cutting off dribble drives. Lots of open 3's as a result. May have to pick our poison with only one ready-to-play big man.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.