Our 3 pt percentage

8,217 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's bad. 23.5%

Just how bad is it DeAngelo?

Well, we are 353rd out of 353 teams

Okay that's pretty bad....

Well, I went back to 2002 because that's as far back as kenpom goes, well our percentage is still the worst of all those teams...

Added:
I did find another site and went back to 1997 and we are still the worst.

350ish teams over 23 years
About 8050 teams have played during that time

And well we are the worse percentage 3pt shooting team in that time period....I did find Arkansas pine bluff and Jackson st had 24% in 1999-2000 season

Yes, the line is further back
Philip J Fry
AG
Well then good news. Our percentage is very likely to improve!
Gap
AG
It was our 2nd worst night of the season shooting the 3 by percentage with only Gonzaga being a lower percent.

I thought we got a lot of looks from there we wanted tonight. They just weren't going down. Gordon probably needs to shoot the 3 less as he is hitting just 13.8% (4-29) on the season and give some of those looks to Chandler and Flagg (and perhaps Mitchell when he finds his form).
Mikeyshooter
AG
Pretty impressive that we have a roster full of 3* and 4* guys who can't shoot.
greg.w.h
AG
No coach can schedule enough time for shooting drills and FT drills...NCAA limits. But nothing stops the players from finding time.
EliteZags
AG
has it ever occurred to you that we're actually so good at shooting the 3 that every opponent is scheming and playing incredible D on us to shut down our 3's, which has also been translating to great D in general affecting our offense as a whole
Artimus Gordon
I would say that they are pressuring the guards because they are not good ball handlers and don't pose enough threat of driving to the basket for a layup. The poor three point percentage is just gravy!

I wish Buzz would put nebo and Aku in the game at the same time to try and develope more of an inside game! It would free nebo up a lot more. He normally gets swarmed by three defenders.
Double Diamond
Why I think this team should push it more. Try and get easy buckets. Because in the half court this is one of the most offensive challenged teams I've seen.
Wicked Good Ag
Does anyone think Cam will play this year ?

There is no one on this team who even really gets streaky from behind the arc and makes the defense adjust giving us better options

I know analytics say to shoot threes but this team need to maybe take the 15 foot jumper as a major part of the offense
gigum
AG
"Just how bad is it DeAngelo?i

Well, I went back to 2002 because that's as far back as kenpom goes, well our percentage is still the worst of all those teams..."

What did you expect for a measly $3.8 a year ?
Method Man
Yes, it's Buzz's fault guys can't hit wide open shots. I guess we can blame him for letting them shoot so many but it's not like they make any shots well outside of Nebo dunking. Also, enough about the money. Stupid point.
expresswrittenconsent
Wicked Good Ag said:

Does anyone think Cam will play this year ?

There is no one on this team who even really gets streaky from behind the arc and makes the defense adjust giving us better options

I know analytics say to shoot threes but this team need to maybe take the 15 foot jumper as a major part of the offense

I typically think a RS in hoops is pointless but in his case (a young kid who reclassified right before the season only to get injured) it might make sense.
Ag_EE_88
AG
In one of the press conferences, Buzz said it was likely that he'd redshirt.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Does Cam = Cash?
greg.w.h
AG
gigum said:

"Just how bad is it DeAngelo?i

Well, I went back to 2002 because that's as far back as kenpom goes, well our percentage is still the worst of all those teams..."

What did you expect for a measly $3.8 a year ?
Are we paying the players now?
phorizt
How do these guys all become much worse shooters over the course of one offseason? They weren't this bad last year.
Ag_EE_88
AG
phorizt said:

How do these guys all become much worse shooters over the course of one offseason? They weren't this bad last year.
Because they are BK's guys of course.
EXCELL
They weren't good last year either.
DukeMu
phorizt said:

We're 335 now in 3FG%. We were 329th last year. So, yes we were as bad shooting last year.

Buzz' Va. Tech team was 9th in 3FG% last year.
DukeMu
Ag_EE_88 said:

In one of the press conferences, Buzz said it was likely that he'd redshirt.

...the entire team.
BrandoC
AG
BK was just like Sumlin. Banked on good assistant coaches and got lucky with a few studs in 1 loaded signing class.
phorizt
Buzz's recruits are a combined 9/71 from 3 this year. That's a whopping 12.6%. Amazingly terrible.

Gap
AG
phorizt said:

Buzz's recruits are a combined 9/71 from 3 this year. That's a whopping 12.6%. Amazingly terrible.
I had to double check to see if that was correct. And it is.

Quenton Jackson 16.7% (5-30)
Andre Gordon 13.8% (4-29)
Emanuel Miller 0.0% (0-8)
Yavuz Gultekin 0.0% (0-4)
Total 12.68% (9-71)
JRB78
AG
I would have taken the over.
phorizt
Actually JayJay and Savion are shooting better from 3 this season than they ever have.
LawHall88
AG
phorizt said:

Actually JayJay and Savion are shooting better from 3 this season than they ever have.
Yep, but Mitchell has fallen off a cliff.
wacarnolds
AG
Gap said:

phorizt said:

I had to double check to see if that was correct. And it is.

Quenton Jackson 16.7% (5-30)
Andre Gordon 13.8% (4-29)
Emanuel Miller 0.0% (0-8)
Yavuz Gultekin 0.0% (0-4)
Total 12.68% (9-71)
Gordon and Jackson are obviously killing us in this respect. I'm guessing Gordon coming from the HS 3pt line means he experienced a huge increase in difficulty with the new NCAA 3pt line distance. Not sure what distance Jackson shot from last year in Juco, and not sure if he could even hit at the old distance.

As someone else mentioned, most of the guys from last year's team are shooting better even with the line moving back. I think them having a baseline understanding of what it takes to compete at this level has helped them adapt to the distance change, and hopefully Buzz is helping them improve even more than they might have under the previous staff.
Method Man
I think Gordon has a nice looking shot and will be ok. Jackson not so much.
AgsinGA
AG
The shots are going to start falling as the offense does a better job of going in and out of the paint. As someone said earlier, we need to find a way to get Nebo help down low, which will open his shots as well as the ability to get it out to open shooters.

I don't think its going to rise off the charts, but I do think it will rise a good bit.

DeangeloVickers
AG
We Improved to 23.8%
Mordred
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

We Improved to 23.8%
We were 3 for 17 tonight (17.6%), so that "hot" 3pt shooting against Arkansas might have been a one off.
rwtxag83
AG
Imho, we need less emphasis on 'get the ball to Nebo' and more dribble penetration to get your own higher percentage shots.

We spent too much effort passing around the perimeter and trying to pass down low till late in the shot clock, and then throw up a contested 3 and hope it goes in. I know we're missing some of our open look 3s, but too many are the late in the shot clock variety.

Dribble penetration for a higher percentage shot makes many good things happen. We make the basket, Nebo gets more open, we get doubled which opens somebody else up, we get fouled, or we can pass back outside to a much more open shooter at the arc.

They were doing this much more often last night and it's amazing how much better we played.

Our guys didn't forget how to shoot from 3. Find better ways to get the ball in the paint and the post and our 3pt percentage will increase dramatically.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Proposition Joe
We don't have good enough ball handlers to penetrate without turning it over constantly.

Nebo needs to be getting a touch every trip down the court. He is the only player on our team that has shown he is capable of beating the other guy no matter what.

If Nebo works on passing out of double teams in practice to the open man, those looks from 3 will get a lot cleaner.

Buzz has a reluctance to actually run a post-game and would rather Nebo clean up things on 3-point shots... While the analytics point to that as being the macro move in college, you still need to work with what you got... Next year when we lose the bigs I'd be in support of a shift to perimeter shooting, but right now looking at the #'s it's just going against our strength.
bobinator
AG
Nebo also isn't particularly good at creating his own shot when he gets the chance, though he's been looking a lot better at it lately. But especially if the defender is taller he seems to struggle trying to get space.

But a really annoying thing last night was them letting Ole Miss just shove in the low post.

Remember when it was a point of emphasis that you could have two hands on a post player and putting an arm bar on the back of big was basically an automatic foul? Now you can apparently perform martial arts maneuvers against big men.
greg.w.h
AG
I think Nebo has grown possibly due to BD working on footwork with him. He's more polished in the post. Hopefully Aku makes good progress, too, and becomes the different player his frame suggests he can be. He reminds me of a raw Rudy Woods...but Rudy wasn't that raw when he took the floor at Jolly Rolly. But he did get sidetracked after the 1980 NCAAT and wasn't the same afterwards. This is where I hope Buzzyball really shines: that the coach impacts their lives so much they take care of all their business successfully just like shooting FTs last night!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.