Reed Arena improvement suggestions

6,244 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Grits
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been to both as well, and I can definitively say that there was nothing about Cameron or Allen that even remotely reminded me of G. Rollie...up to and including a long and fantastic history of high level, winning basketball.

And even if G. Rollie was on par with what Duke and UK have, we have never been and likely never will be the basketball powerhouse that those guys are. When you win like Duke and UK do, you can get by with a somewhat subpar arena. But when you put out a product like A&M has put out for most of the last 100+ years, a cruddy, rundown, outdated arena won't cut it. Duke and Kansas could still win with an archaic facility. A&M could not.

And while I'm no fan of Reed Arena, it's not like there aren't other highly successful programs with boring, stale, cavernous arenas. Check out the Dean Dome at North Carolina. Or the Carrier Dome at Syracuse. The Kohl Center at Wisconsin is nothing to get all that excited about. Heck, Texas Tech is building a nice program playing in the underwhelming arena named after a grocery store.

Point is, it's not the facility, the layout, the alcohol sales, or the armchair seats that make a successful program. It's the coach, the product on the floor, and the undying/raucous fan support that make the venues good or bad.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
oklacityag75
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Best idea yet.

"Build a new Basketball "Only" Arena and leave it as it is for graduations and shows.

And build it just west of Reed and connect the two.
EXACTLY !!!! Make loud like GRollie ! Bring back the "Hollerhouse on the Brazos"!
DeangeloVickers
AG
I only knew G Rollie with Barone...and as a fan I had more fun and it was "louder" and better as a fan than Reed Arena....and Ive seen Reed at it's best (the shot, beating UK, etc)

And I just dont see much of a difference from Cameron than G Rollie.....yes a ton of banners, but even the halls around the arena are similar.

And the only argument to me is that Reed Arena is that bad for our basketball program....
We dont have much of a basketball culture and G Rollie at least had a personality and helped our culture

Reed is made for muster.....not basketball

ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
DSAg44 said:

Lazy river

Always a good answer
bv86ag
AG
I was class of 86 so i knew G. Rollie and have been to Reed Arena several times. Reed is nicer and newer...but has never been as loud and raucous as the Holler House on the Brazos was. The Holler House was more intimidating due to large portions of the crowd damn near situated on the court.The fix for our basketball woes is a winning team..not constant rebuilds. Put a winning program out there...people will start showing up and will create a better environment. Our mens basketball problems are not because of Reed...it is not a perfect or NBA quality arena....but it is a good facility all things considered.
Grits
AG
Didn't the current capacity, and structure of Reed have something to do with a former governor (Ann Richards?) And some rumored collusion with other in state schools?
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.