Reed Arena improvement suggestions

6,218 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Grits
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What, if anything, could be done to fix this basketball venue?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Put a better product on the court.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Alcohol
Trees
Marketing
Method Man
Junkhead said:

True but it's dark and the court is ugly.
byrdman91
AG
Buzz teams will play like BCG teams!
Games will be 100 percent better!!!
But alcohol would be awesome!
TyHolden
AG
Lazy river
Roller coaster
Alcohol
Tobias Funke
AG
Frisbee dogs
Soulja Boy
Wear 2 shirts
DeangeloVickers
AG
Timeouts during opponent runs
S&C coach MMA fights after game
O Canada
Agscgu
AG
2017 Campus Master Plan, Page 146

https://campusplan.tamu.edu/files/presentations/2017CampusMasterPlan.pdf
gig them
AG
Junkhead said:

bobinator
AG
Turkey Bowling
Lil Wranglers for every halftime
Marlon Pompey dunk contests against random fans
Great2BeAnAGGIE
AG
Build a new Basketball Arena and leave it as it is for graduations and shows.
ghostofthebanned
bring back the acie era court...
Leander - Ag
AG
Landscaping or just grass
basic8
Way better popcorn, with popcorn smell vented in the concourses
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Keep the grass alive in front of the arena. Looks like a cattle lot after all the tailgating during football season.
Method Man
How about...whiskey???
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

How about...whiskey???
They would have to do a club. They're not going to send hard alcohol onto the floor. Too much risk.
BrandoC
AG
Blow it up and start all over.
Method Man
greg.w.h said:

Method Man said:

How about...whiskey???
They would have to do a club. They're not going to send hard alcohol onto the floor. Too much risk.
Risk? Risk? I have hard alcohol in my cup 90% of the time I'm there and my worst crime is yelling at AJ Abrams.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, but those weird looks you were getting are because Abrams graduated ten years ago.
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

greg.w.h said:

Method Man said:

How about...whiskey???
Risk? Risk? I have hard alcohol in my cup 90% of the time I'm there and my worst crime is yelling at AJ Abrams.
But you're not buying it from the vendor. That risk.
Method Man
WearyEyesEmoji.jpg
DukeMu
Agscgu said:

FAIL

• These buildings have potential uses as
    retail, entertainment, or administration functions.
miller0926
AG
DukeMu said:

Agscgu said:

FAIL

So page 103 is the page for our interest. I never noticed that they were talking about building a volleyball only complex in the Olsen parking lot.
BQ_90
AG
miller0926 said:

DukeMu said:

Agscgu said:

FAIL

So page 103 is the page for our interest. I never noticed that they were talking about building a volleyball only complex in the Olsen parking lot.
It's a wish list more than a true plan
TXAGBQ76
AG
The best way to improve Reed i# to win a majority of the games there.
William_C_G
AG
Shade trees outside.
Artimus Gordon

Best idea yet.

"Build a new Basketball "Only" Arena and leave it as it is for graduations and shows.

And build it just west of Reed and connect the two.
Luke The Drifter
AG
As I understand it, the west end, upper deck area where there are no seats (behind the crappy flat scoreboard), is designed for future development and use. I think the original plans were to have practice areas or a weight room up there, but we don't need that now that we have the Cox-McFerrin Center. I also think it could be expanded to include additional upper deck seating...but we all know that's not necessary. So with that, you figure it could be converted to a club/premium seating/high level donor area...or something like that.

Once you build a nice spot for the olds and big cigars to socialize and drink during the games, you can then move the students to the decent seats from baseline to baseline...primarily putting them behind the opponent's bench.

Of course, some things need to happen before this can be put into action.

• Improve the product on the court (Buzz is working on that.)
  • Show a drastic increase in student attendance (Bullet point 1 will fold into bullet point 2)
  • Improve the feel of Reed; other things mentioned in this thread would help...better lighting, better landscaping/outside appearance, etc.
  • Alcohol

As it stands, Reed isn't a very "inviting" venue. It's not awful...G. Rollie was awful. But there's certainly nothing special about Reed Arena. It's functional, but that's about it. I have confidence that once Buzz gets things going after a season or two, there will be some big improvements to the building.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Gap
AG
Forget about re-doing Reed. It is too late to fix it again. It has been open 20+ years now. We have had multiple improvements and re-do's of it already. Reed is a sunk cost. It is all we could get in the 1980's. Things are different now. Start planning for the next arena that will be basketball-only and will open in about 10 years. Identify all the mistakes made and things you wish you had and start your list now to make sure they are part of planning the new building.
DeangeloVickers
AG
G Rollie was every bit as nice as Cameron Indoor and Allen Fieldhouse

Ole Miss did a good job on theirs

BTKAG97
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Wet t-shirt contests
Nice suggestion.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Ryno01 said:

G Rollie was every bit as nice as Cameron Indoor and Allen Fieldhouse

Ole Miss did a good job on theirs

Oh no, no, no, no, no...

Have you ever been to Cameron or Allen? The building and structure of G. Rollie may have had the charm of those places, but it was not nearly as nice. Duke and KU spent a lot of money upgrading the facilities, infrastructure, parking, concessions, etc. while A&M sat on G. Rollie for 40 years and did absolutely nothing.

You think Cameron or Allen has a wood floor so terrible that there are actual dead spots on it? You think Cameron or Allen has smelly, undersized bathrooms? You think Cameron or Allen only has seating around 75% of the court? You think Cameron or Allen still utilize sound and lighting systems installed in the '60s? You think Cameron or Allen have locker rooms that are shared by intramural sports?

G. Rollie White Coliseum...with all of its nostalgia and hangings on to what TAMC was in the '50s and '60s...was by all accounts a terrible, terrible venue. Could it get loud? Sure...but that does not make it as nice as Cameron or Allen. By the time we moved out of GRW, it was a dilapidated, run down, poorly maintenanced, rat-infested, crap-hole of a barn. It needed to go. Actually, because of the decisions the A&M Athletic Department made over the years related to upkeep of the facility, it really needed to go 15+ years before we finally got out of there.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
DeangeloVickers
AG
Yes, been to both

The facilities surrounding are similar to what we have now, but the inside of both are not that upgraded. Old bleacher seats, etc.
GRollie was just like both especially Cameron Indoor...while ALlen is much bigger its the same layout.

These are also so much better acoustically than Reed....Reed isnt built for basketball, the other 3 were
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.