Michigan's Beilein to coach Cavaliers

6,787 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by _lefraud_
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have no doubt Juwan Howard will recruit well. Member of the Fab 5 at Michigan and an NBA champion. The only question is how good of a Head Coach he is since he has never been one. I'm sure he has great knowledge after a 10+ year NBA player and 8 as an NBA assistant, but that doesn't always transfer to a good game day coach.
Goose
AG
wacarnolds said:

Goose said:

wacarnolds said:

alrighty then. don't even have the resources to hire away the guy from Providence

Strange, new world for college coaching searches. Makes the Buzz & Jimbo hires even more impressive
Football and Basketball are different animals when it comes to needing to be in a power five conference though. If Michigan football was trying to hire away Providence's football coach it'd be a no-brainer for him. But basketball schools aren't kept out of the tournament the way non-power five football schools are. I think in the last 20 years there have been 18 non P5 basketball teams make the final 4. The resources necessary to become a competitive basketball school (regardless of conference) are a small fraction of what's required to be a P5 football school.
Thanks for explaining the differences between college basketball and college football
Thanks for ignoring that my comments were made to directly address the mention that they "don't even have the resources to hire away the guy from Providence" and then introduced our hiring of Jimbo Fisher as a relatable event.
wacarnolds
AG
cityagboy said:

I have no doubt Juwan Howard will recruit well. Member of the Fab 5 at Michigan and an NBA champion. The only question is how good of a Head Coach he is since he has never been one. I'm sure he has great knowledge after a 10+ year NBA player and 8 as an NBA assistant, but that doesn't always transfer to a good game day coach.
He'll come with glowing recommendations from Riley and Spoelstra, but as the Duke/K coaching tree proves, being adjacent to success doesn't mean you can replicate it on your own
wacarnolds
AG
Goose said:

wacarnolds said:

Goose said:

wacarnolds said:

alrighty then. don't even have the resources to hire away the guy from Providence

Strange, new world for college coaching searches. Makes the Buzz & Jimbo hires even more impressive
Football and Basketball are different animals when it comes to needing to be in a power five conference though. If Michigan football was trying to hire away Providence's football coach it'd be a no-brainer for him. But basketball schools aren't kept out of the tournament the way non-power five football schools are. I think in the last 20 years there have been 18 non P5 basketball teams make the final 4. The resources necessary to become a competitive basketball school (regardless of conference) are a small fraction of what's required to be a P5 football school.
Thanks for explaining the differences between college basketball and college football
Thanks for ignoring that my comments were made to directly address the mention that they "don't even have the resources to hire away the guy from Providence" and then introduced our hiring of Jimbo Fisher as a relatable event.
you're welcome
TxAg76
AG
wacarnolds said:

Juwan Howard is unproven, but I'd prefer him over Cooley. Big downside is how hard it can be to fire a fan favorite that isn't cutting it

troof...ask TxTech football
GrayMatter
AG
So if Juwan Howard is picked to be coach at Michigan, which one of his other Fab 5 buddies does he get to be an assistant coach? Webber? Rose?
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
wacarnolds
AG
Juwan is going to **** a brick when he walks into the first practice and sees how high kids are wearing their shorts these days
cityagboy
AG
GrayMatter said:

So if Juwan Howard is picked to be coach at Michigan, which one of his other Fab 5 buddies does he get to be an assistant coach? Webber? Rose?
Well, Webber probably wouldn't be welcomed as a coach. Rose has a good gig with espn.
wacarnolds
AG
Olsen said:

I would be surprised if Beilein would last over 2 seasons as the head coach there. Dan Gilbert is a hard sports owner to please.

Well he made it to the All Star Break of Year 1, but might not make it much longer. And surprisingly I don't think Gilbert is at all to blame here. For a smart guy this was a disaster move by Beilein.

bobinator
AG
Next Texas coach?
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Next Texas coach?

Possibly. Seen Indiana mentioned, they could fire Archie Miller if he misses the NCAAT the first 3 years
Basketball and Chain
AG
He'll be a great hire for someone.

You can't scheme around a lack of talent in the NBA.
Hank Mardukas
AG
If Belein comes back to college it'll be for a big name (maybe Texas) . Was thinking maybe UNC but Roy Williams being only 69 makes me think he has several (3-6) more years in him, and he won't be forced out. Who's another program that might have an opening better than Texas? It's crazy, I thought Shaka would do so much better.
expresswrittenconsent
Beilein is 67 and owed $25-30mil? Is that right?

Maybe he just goes the way of another ex michigan coach and turns to a beach job like sdsu.
expresswrittenconsent
I dont know what texas does. Make a push for beard and get turned down.
Maybe they bring Turge back to texas fresh off a e8 or f4 terps run.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Turgeon to Texas?
94chem
expresswrittenconsent said:

Beilein is 67 and owed $25-30mil? Is that right?

Maybe he just goes the way of another ex michigan coach and turns to a beach job like sdsu.
He's one of the truly great coaches ever. I'd love to see him do like Rick Majerus at Saint Louis.Take a job like DePaul or Saint John's.
Leander - Ag
AG
What happened at clev? Wow
wacarnolds
AG
Leander - Ag said:

What happened at clev? Wow

Players didn't like him. And he called them "thugs" then tried to say meant "slugs". At that point, it was just counting down the days until they fired him.
mikesyracuse1
I hope he comes back to the College game next season. He's a really good coach and good for college basketball.

Mikesyracuse1
Know Your Enemy
AG
He's out.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28732883/john-beilein-cavs-head-coach-jb-bickerstaff-takes-over
McInnis80
I can't see North Carolina hiring him this year. Roy Williams has the skins plus he is family. Unless something changes quickly in Austin, I bet Texas will make a run, despite his age. They couldn't even fill half of the building when the #1 team in the country comes to town.
greg.w.h
AG
The ESPN article pointed out losing during rebuilds is stressful. And also that the players might have felt he wasn't treating them as pros. I'm sure following unofficial GM/HC James and official HC Lue and then Larry Drew also won at about a .250 clip wasn't a lot of fun.

He's old enough to take the severance to the bank if he chooses to...
94chem
McInnis80 said:

I can't see North Carolina hiring him this year. Roy Williams has the skins plus he is family. Unless something changes quickly in Austin, I bet Texas will make a run, despite his age. They couldn't even fill half of the building when the #1 team in the country comes to town.

Roy Williams signed an 8 year extension recently. He won a national title 3 seasons ago. A national championship loss 4 years ago. Sweet 16 last year. 2nd round 2 years ago. Nobody thinks Roy has lost it.
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, no one has won more titles than Roy since he took over UNC...he will leave when he's ready to retire.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.