Michigan's Beilein to coach Cavaliers

6,725 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by _lefraud_
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sources: Michigan's Beilein to coach Cavaliers
DukeMu
Junkhead said:

Cleveland, not UVA.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Wow, College Hoops loses a great coach.
Know Your Enemy
AG
DukeMu said:

Junkhead said:

Cleveland, not UVA.
My bad. Copied & pasted the headline without even thinking about UVa. It should be obvious that it's not Virginia, though.
cityagboy
AG
Beilein is a GREAT coach. Big loss for Michigan. He is one of the greatest teachers around.

With the Cavs being such a young team, he might be a good get for them.
PascalsWager
AG
I don't get it. What's there there for him? In college you get full control and full credit.

The Cavs are the worst situation in the league. You have Kevin Love who's good enough to take a 24 win team and make them a 30 win team and Sexton with upside of a 7th man in a western conference semifinal series. That's pretty much it.

Why do this?
cityagboy
AG
PascalsWager said:

I don't get it. What's there there for him? In college you get full control and full credit.

The Cavs are the worst situation in the league. You have Kevin Love who's good enough to take a 24 win team and make them a 30 win team and Sexton with upside of a 7th man in a western conference semifinal series. That's pretty much it.

Why do this?
Chances are high they add Ja Morant or Zion soon. But, yes, they will still suck.

Beilein had major heart surgery before this last season and is getting older. I assume he just decided he had one last shot at coaching in the NBA and wanted the challenge.
Aston04
AG
You guys think Buzz will make a run after Jalen Wilson (from Texas)? Heard he's a stud.
Aston04
AG
And any guesses on who UMich targets?

Really late in the process like when Turge ditched us.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Aston04 said:

You guys think Buzz will make a run after Jalen Wilson (from Texas)? Heard he's a stud.

Jalen will have to request a release from his LOI first.
Aston04
AG
True- I would guess he would.
cityagboy
AG
Aston04 said:

And any guesses on who UMich targets?

Really late in the process like when Turge ditched us.

Nothing has come out yet. Some want one of the assistants, Yaklich, to be promoted. Any other names have simply been pipe dreams like Donovan, Beard, Tony Bennett or Jay Wright.
AgEfan
Will be interesting to see who Michigan goes after.
cityagboy
AG
https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/1127957630583021568?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"Had coffee with John Beilein in Atlanta during the live period. He loved Michigan, but was frustrated with the new NBA draft rules. Roster continuity was an issue with his good players. The FBI situation also had him questioning much about the college game."
wacarnolds
AG
AgEfan said:

The dropoff in coaching acumen is going to be huge. Bad time to be hiring any coach, much less one that will be replacing a legend
Method Man
Maybe they can get Turgeon.
GrayMatter
AG
wacarnolds said:

AgEfan said:

The dropoff in coaching acumen is going to be huge. Bad time to be hiring any coach, much less one that will be replacing a legend
You mean kind of like when Gary Williams announced his retirement at Maryland?

They have the resources to pluck anyone they want.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Know Your Enemy
AG
GrayMatter said:

wacarnolds said:

AgEfan said:

I don't know about all that.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

If they hire a young coach coming off 4 consecutive NCAAT appearances, I'll be shocked

Quote:

Disagree. They have a good fanbase, a unique basketball history and that B1G $$$, but I don't think they are program that can just pull away an established coach from another school that isn't looking for a way out (or a way back home, like Buzz).
expresswrittenconsent
Jr high to NBA and every step along the way. Good job for beilein.
DTP02
AG
Bielein is a heckuva coach, and it's a loss to the college game because he was on the "does it the right way" end of the spectrum.

But this looks like a strange fit. College to pro transitions are hard enough, but to add to that:

Bielein has generally avoided recruiting many of the types of players he will be dealing with in the NBA.

He's also a teacher of the game and many NBA players are resistant to being taught.

He does run an NBA-friendly offense.
BobOliver2006
AG
Sort of tongue in cheek debate on the Dan Patrick Show this morning of whether Dan Gilbert (a Michigan State grad) did this to screw over Michigan

DP Show Debate: Was John Beilein Wise to Leave Michigan for the Cavs?
Olsen
AG
I would be surprised if Beilein would last over 2 seasons as the head coach there. Dan Gilbert is a hard sports owner to please.
bingram1230
AG
I would love to get the Denton Guyer SF they recruited
Know Your Enemy
AG
bingram1230 said:

I would love to get the Denton Guyer SF they recruited

That's Jalen Wilson who's already been mentioned in this thread.
Method Man
Hey do y'all know if they have any recruits we want?
mikesyracuse1
If Billy Donovan wants to return to college Basketball, this is a good place for him to land.

Mikesyracuse1
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

Maybe they can get Turgeon.
damn you! Beat me to it
WildcatAg
AG
Ricky Three Stacks is fresh off a championship and he "almost" took the job in 2001. And I believe Ann Arbor does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Southern District of New York so no apology would be required.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

Well apparently they have the resources to hire Ed Cooley, who missed the tournament last year and is 1-5 in the NCAAT, away from Providence
LawHall88
AG
wacarnolds said:

Quote:

Well apparently they have the resources to hire Ed Cooley, who missed the tournament last year and is 1-5 in the NCAAT, away from Providence
Or not.
wacarnolds
AG
alrighty then. don't even have the resources to hire away the guy from Providence

Strange, new world for college coaching searches. Makes the Buzz & Jimbo hires even more impressive
wacarnolds
AG
Juwan Howard is unproven, but I'd prefer him over Cooley. Big downside is how hard it can be to fire a fan favorite that isn't cutting it
Goose
AG
wacarnolds said:

alrighty then. don't even have the resources to hire away the guy from Providence

Strange, new world for college coaching searches. Makes the Buzz & Jimbo hires even more impressive
Football and Basketball are different animals when it comes to needing to be in a power five conference though. If Michigan football was trying to hire away Providence's football coach it'd be a no-brainer for him. But basketball schools aren't kept out of the tournament the way non-power five football schools are. I think in the last 20 years there have been 18 non P5 basketball teams make the final 4. The resources necessary to become a competitive basketball school (regardless of conference) are a small fraction of what's required to be a P5 football school.
wacarnolds
AG
Goose said:

wacarnolds said:

Football and Basketball are different animals when it comes to needing to be in a power five conference though. If Michigan football was trying to hire away Providence's football coach it'd be a no-brainer for him. But basketball schools aren't kept out of the tournament the way non-power five football schools are. I think in the last 20 years there have been 18 non P5 basketball teams make the final 4. The resources necessary to become a competitive basketball school (regardless of conference) are a small fraction of what's required to be a P5 football school.
Thanks for explaining the differences between college basketball and college football
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.