CAN Reed be renovated and transformed?

6,507 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cp09
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean, is it possible to renovate and transform Reed into a good (if not great) basketball venue?

If so, what would have to be done to get it there?

Or is it a lost cause that needs to be replaced as the home of Aggie basketball?
Alpha Texan
AG
What's wrong with Reed currently exactly?
#Mke
AG
I really don't see A&M building a new basketball arena. Reed will either be renovated or stay the same. I could see A&M renovating the exterior to look more similar to Olsen & Kyle Field.
Topher17
AG
The whole "Reed is terrible" narrative that has taken hold here lately is truly remarkable. It isn't the best facility in the world, but it is far from the worst. If we were winning games, I doubt anyone would be worried about Reed.
boxing after dark
AG
The only thing Reed is missing is a product on the court that fans and students can get excited about. Start winning and butts will be in seats and it can be a great venue. It doesn't need another scoreboard, luxury suites, etc.
greg.w.h
AG
The main reason to renovate would be to increase engagement and ticket sales/revenue per seat. Look at the Hofheinz redo as an example.

For a solid MiLB team the average revenue per seat runs $12-17 depending on park and team. The scoreboard was designed to help some with butts in seats (v. TV) so the only thing left might be club/suite space.

The lighting strikes me as dim and cool (think it's 5000 Kelvins) but I need cataract surgery. The scoreboard added quite a bit of warmer light at my daughter's evening graduation ceremony in December that I hadn't noticed on previous trips to Reed.

The need for a special events center is still higher than the need for a basketball arena. But generating revenue for the basketball program helps pay for the entire athletic department.
speedy
AG
Get a competitive team
Bring in the crowds sell outs
Then seat the students all around the court side like many of the more dynamic college venues do.

When this happens and fans cannot get tickets then look at renovating.

This can happen!
McInnis80
I can't believe there is a huge demand for suites at Reed. Just like the Irwin Center in Austin, the problem with both of these buildings is too many seats and too few butts. And I don't have an easy answer to change the fan culture. Last year's team went to the Sweet 16 and we still didn't come close to filling the building.
MikesFamousJava
AG
A really good, dynamic, engaged head coach can do a lot to improve turnout and student/fan engagement (see Jackie Sherrill).

Billy G was on track but left before the metamorphosis was complete. Turgeon was a sour puss and Kennedy was asleep at the wheel. We can get there with the right leadership.
GrayMatter
AG
boxing after dark said:

The only thing Reed is missing is a product on the court that fans and students can get excited about. Start winning and butts will be in seats and it can be a great venue. It doesn't need another scoreboard, luxury suites, etc.
Winning isn't the only thing that will sustain sell out crowds.

Building a basketball culture is more successful when all hands are on deck instead of letting the head coach pull most of the weight.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
95_Aggie
AG
Get rid of that ugly wall at the west end. Add suites? Sell alcohol?
85AustinAg
AG
Let's wait and see what Buzz has in mind...
bobinator
AG
The biggest issue with Reed from a basketball standpoint is how far the end student sections are from the court itself. It's like ten feet, at least, from the baseline to the front row. The places with the best atmospheres it feels like the students and other fans are right on top of the court.

I'm not sure that's something that can be changed without some major overhauling.
greg.w.h
AG
McInnis80 said:

I can't believe there is a huge demand for suites at Reed. Just like the Irwin Center in Austin, the problem with both of these buildings is too many seats and too few butts. And I don't have an easy answer to change the fan culture. Last year's team went to the Sweet 16 and we still didn't come close to filling the building.

The Hofheinz redo was more club and box-style comfortable seating oriented and lowered overall count of seats. Most of the MiLB teams I'm aware of don't heavily use suites but some do use them for high-visibility events and for larger groups.

I have zero clue what the art of the possible is. Just know the 300k we made in profit for 2015-2016 will need to be improved on if we up the costs of running the basketball program. Just to pay for the transition.
DogCompany74
AG
Sat in on the Reed Renovation working groups . One of the really innovative ideas centered around knocking out the corridor walls to open up the view of the court. Additionally there is some thought of creating a limited number of multi-sport suites around the perimeter of Reed where the dead grass is now and sell these for year round use for football / baseball /softball tailgating and entertaining at basketball games.
Apparently the entire operational plant is in the " dead area" where the second end zone seats are supposed to be so that really bumps the cost and land commitment if that is used.
There is no real hunger among fans for suites because there are limited numbers of big entertainment opportunities during basketball season , but I could see installing a designated eating / drinking area with " under the basket seating in the end zone that has the tarp on it.

Everyone involved agreed that unless the AD gets serious about winning any changes were a waste if money.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
strbrst777
Nothing wrong with Reed facility. Fire the DJ.
OldAg68
AG
End zone??

And yes, fire the DJ

And yes, I'm old.

All Reed needs is a good and reasonably consistent product on the court.

I don't want to lose my seats to a redo. Already went through that at Kyle.
JJxvi
AG
I like Reed as it currently is on the inside. The location is not great, the exterior is not the best.

I agree that opening up the concourses to the floor would likely be a huge improvement in terms of modernizing it. There were legitimate complaints about how bush league it was 10+ years ago. I would say most things wrong with it now are just "well it could be a little better" type line items.
JoeAggie5
I'm sure they've done analysis, but charging for parking for basketball games is a joke. We should be getting paid to go at this point. 1 price for all tickets for at least non-conference, 1st come 1st serve on seats with the exception of a few sections for season ticket holders.

jeffdjohnson
When A&M is winning (i.e. making the tournament) you can expect the average season attendance to be around 9K-10K fans. When A&M is mediocre that number drops to the 7K-8K range. When A&M is bad it bottoms out around the 5K-6K range. Needless to say, in a 12K seat arena that looks like *****

It seems like Reed Arena complaints are correlated to the percentage of fans in the seats. 12K fans in a 12K seat Reed Arena (100%) and the atmosphere will be electric. 10K fans (83%) and there will still be a nice buzz in the crowd. 8K fans (66%) and you can still have a good time but there will be some energy lacking. 6K fans (50%) and it just feels kinda sad.

In order to increase the ratio of fans to seats then either more fans need to show up or there needs to be fewer seats. Attendance is correlated with wins but there is also a clear and established ceiling of support here (~10K). The easy way to fix this "problem" would be to reduce the capacity from around 12K to 9K or 10K which is more in line with the established ceiling. Of course that isn't possible because Reed is a multi-purpose facility needed for graduation, etc... That gets at the fundamental problem, A&M built a stadium bigger than its fan base. So either tarp off parts of the upper deck, build a retractable/removable "ugly wall" on the East (?) side upper deck or win so much that the fan base increases.
#Mke
AG
bobinator said:

The biggest issue with Reed from a basketball standpoint is how far the end student sections are from the court itself. It's like ten feet, at least, from the baseline to the front row. The places with the best atmospheres it feels like the students and other fans are right on top of the court.

I'm not sure that's something that can be changed without some major overhauling.
stardustag
AG
hopefully the AD will rethink the whole basketball marketing strategy while we hire a new coach... putting butts in the seats will make Reed Arena look a lot better to start with... and once we get the culture going, then we can worry about improving Reed. I for one think they need to drop the nose-bleed section ticket price to peanuts... something like $5 per seat type deal, and basically free for November/December games. And yeh, paying for parking... discount that will help too.
greg.w.h
AG
stardustag said:

hopefully the AD will rethink the whole basketball marketing strategy while we hire a new coach... putting butts in the seats will make Reed Arena look a lot better to start with... and once we get the culture going, then we can worry about improving Reed. I for one think they need to drop the nose-bleed section ticket price to peanuts... something like $5 per seat type deal, and basically free for November/December games. And yeh, paying for parking... discount that will help too.

I love your thinking at the opening. But let's not yet worry about pricing just butts in seats. I think basketball needs to be viewed as a premium brand and ought to eventually command more dollars rather than fewer. Use marketing to sell the new opportunity to start the journey with the new coach. I'm absolutely positive that if we start consistently winning unless the marketing is much better then the last 2-3K will still be difficult to sell.

We need a method for re-scripting the whole game day so the marketing/advertising and student spirit feels like they work seamlessly without getting that letdown when filling timeouts.
miller0926
AG
The gap between the student section and the court has been my number one gripe from a design standpoint for years. Unless a) it can't really be fixed with the way it was constructed or b) someone in the administration is hellbent on keeping that space for the yell leaders (I say stick them in the corner behind the dance team where you see every other school's male cheerleaders), then I have no clue why it hasn't already been done. Well, I guess and option C that it's needed for the other events.

Also, what are y'all's thoughts on a pregame highlight video? Last season we beat the defending national champs by 20 in the tourney with 2 highlight reel windmills during the run. 3 seasons ago we had one of the biggest comebacks in sports history. Yet, I don't think we've shown any of those highlights a single damn time at Reed.
TyHolden
AG
We should play in Kyle...
JJxvi
AG
there used to not even be seats down to the floor at all on one end
bobinator
AG
Our pregame videos have sucked for a while. Nobody needs slow mo videos of our current players dribbling on an empty court or whatever. Throw some historic moments up, the shot, the baptism, whatever; and then throw up some current player highlights. It seems like a pretty simple formula.
fightinag
bobinator said:

Our pregame videos have sucked for a while. Nobody needs slow mo videos of our current players dribbling on an empty court or whatever. Throw some historic moments up, the shot, the baptism, whatever; and then throw up some current player highlights. It seems like a pretty simple formula.
There is a serious scarcity of current highlights
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
TyperWoods

Renovate it to look like this.

This place had a great atmosphere.
Steeple
That place must have been loud
DogCompany74
AG
Half the band ( +/-200) would be in the far left hand side of the stands in that picture. There were bleachers on the floor on three sides ( seniors and jocks had the baseline and one sideline . Opponent introductions were met with " bored" students " reading " the Batt and erupting with flying papers when " your fightin' Texas Aggies and the band struck up. No real AC don't got steamy but we didn't care.

Great fun and LOUD!
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
biobioprof
stardustag said:

To get more butts in the seats...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536

Quote:

those who cannot make it to the stadium now have the option of having a robot stand in for them.
As well as being able to control some robot movements, fans can upload their own face to the machine.
we are an engineering school, after all.
greg.w.h
AG
biobioprof said:

stardustag said:

To get more butts in the seats...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536

Quote:

those who cannot make it to the stadium now have the option of having a robot stand in for them.
As well as being able to control some robot movements, fans can upload their own face to the machine.
we are an engineering school, after all.

Suh-WEET!
wtr1975
AG
Artimus Gordon
What year were these pictures taken? Man where have all those folks gone? They must be in their 60's at least!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.