Billy Clyde

12,230 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sananag
DogCompany74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I understand the frustration right now with Evans, but what's up with the visceral reactions to Coach G?

Coach G has been here for 25 years. He has been to the NCAA Finals once in that tenure. While enjoying some of the highest fan support and best facilities, we essentially have a Sweet 16 program. He is an example of the kind of coach that A&M has traditionally held on to because they are " good enough". When will the bar be raised on the results that Coach G delivers?
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
JJxvi
AG
The pinnacle of Billy Gillispie's career was making the sweet sixteen once.
Tango_Mike
TXAggie2011 said:

I understand the frustration right now with Evans, but what's up with the visceral reactions to Coach G?
It probably comes with the rabid fan support and money pumped into the program that is really a S16 program. He's been here forever, but he's never challenged for a NC
_lefraud_
AG
JJxvi said:

The pinnacle of Billy Gillispie's career was getting hired by Kentucky.

Fify
JJxvi
AG
_lefraud_ said:

JJxvi said:

The pinnacle of Billy Gillispie's career was getting hired by Kentucky.

Fify
Well, presumably thats not something they would chisel on his Aggie Coach Mt. Rushmore Plaque... "Billy Clyde Gillispie: He got hired by Kentucky!"
BQ_90
AG
DogCompany74 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Coach G has been here for 25 years. He has been to the NCAA Finals once in that tenure. While enjoying some of the highest fan support and best facilities, we essentially have a Sweet 16 program. He is an example of the kind of coach that A&M has traditionally held on to because they are " good enough". When will the bar be raised on the results that Coach G delivers?
He started the program, he's got a .751 winning %, made post season 23 years in a row, 8 conf. tourney championships, 8 regular season championships.

Hard pressed for an AD to fire a guy with that record.
TXAggie2011
AG
Tango_Mike said:

TXAggie2011 said:

It probably comes with the rabid fan support and money pumped into the program that is really a S16 program. He's been here forever, but he's never challenged for a NC
I know he hasn't won a national championship. And I get why you wouldn't put him in the top 3. But it was the laughing at even putting him in the conversation. Especially when you see some of the other names some folks have put out there.

He started the program himself, he has been to the Elite Eight (and the Final Four) 6 times in the last 18 years, in a sport where a few old programs long had vice grip on success.
Tango_Mike
TXAggie2011 said:

Tango_Mike said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I know he hasn't won a national championship. And I get why you wouldn't put him in the top 3. But it was the laughing at even putting him in the conversation. Especially when you see some of the other names some folks have put out there.

He started the program himself, he has been to the Elite Eight (and the Final Four) 6 times in the last 18 years, in a sport where a few old programs long had vice grip on success.

I wasn't agreeing with him, I was just opining on the why
TXAggie2011
AG
yes, gotcha
Pumpkinhead
AG
DogCompany74 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I knew almost nothing about D1 Women's Soccer, but some quick googling, seems like Sweet Sixteen level women's soccer program for an SEC school is pretty good.

Only 3 SEC schools have made the Final Four ever since they started playing a tournament in 1982. Florida in 1998 and 2001, Texas A&M in 2014 and South Carolina in 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Women%27s_Soccer_Championship,

NoahAg
DogCompany74 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

No FB, basketball, or baseball coach in Aggie history comes close to the level of consistent success that Coach G has had.

expresswrittenconsent
What's really amazing is accomplishing all that in a sport where only 30 teams are trying to win now, and only about 6 teams were trying to win 15-20 yrs ago.
DogCompany74
AG
BQ_90 said:

DogCompany74 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

He started the program, he's got a .751 winning %, made post season 23 years in a row, 8 conf. tourney championships, 8 regular season championships.

Hard pressed for an AD to fire a guy with that record.

The fundamental reality in the move to the " Conference of Champions" is that our expectations for all of our sports have to be raised to compete within our conference and nationally for championships , not just tournament appearances.

The question Woodward should be asking Guerreri ( and all coaches) is " What else do you need to compete for national championships? " I doubt that Woodward would accept " Well we will really be something once Anson Dorrance retires at UNC." The fact is that Guerreri has plateaued and he is not showing a capacity to deliver better results than what has been previously " good enough".
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
TXAggie2011
AG
I wish Coach G won some national championships, had some more final fours. But he's certainly done a lot more than just make the tournament.

Expectations have been raised. And Coach G has played a big part in helping shift the athletic culture at A&M. He pushed and scraped and clawed to get the soccer program on the map and he helped show A&M it can and should support, invest and can be successful in not-football.

I wish he could get that elusive national title. I think it's fair to want him to break through. I think in making that point that maybe folks have pushed back too hard on him.
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I didnt think I had a visceral reaction to Coach G. He's a good coach who reached the edge of elite status in his younger days. It appears the program has slightly declined to a point where they are consistently an NCAA 2nd/3rd round team, but the program isn't close to elite status anymore.

And I also don't compare non-revenue sports on an apples to apples basis with the big three sports where the competition to be elite is much greater and harder to achieve.

I just don't see G on Mount Rushmore...doesn't mean I don't think he's a good coach.
eATMup-Reveille
BQ_90 said:

I wasn't calling OP out. I don't think you need a magic formula when we've had coaches with national championships, multiple conference titles, etc to measure from.

Through 2013, we had 13 Livestock Judging National Championships...that there is some good coaching!!
AggieBill005
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

BQ_90 said:

I wasn't calling OP out. I don't think you need a magic formula when we've had coaches with national championships, multiple conference titles, etc to measure from.

Through 2013, we had 13 Livestock Judging National Championships...that there is some good coaching!!

We have got to include Tana McKay in this conversation as well - 20 years and 12 national championships. I mean, Pat Henry doesn't come close.
EXCELL
BCG was the right guy at the right time in the right place.
It was lightning in a bottle.

He's not coming back here, period.
So move on.
MidTnAg
AG
LesterHaze said:

BCG is one of the Top 3 coaches in the history of Texas A&M across all sports. But he is not coming back here. Let it go.
Hell no!
Pat Henry is & there is no close second.
FCBlitz
I could support this
Philip J Fry
AG
MidTnAg said:

LesterHaze said:

BCG is one of the Top 3 coaches in the history of Texas A&M across all sports. But he is not coming back here. Let it go.
Hell no!

Wake me up when track is a major sport.
greg.w.h
AG
Philip J Fry said:

MidTnAg said:

LesterHaze said:

Hell no!

You mean American or intercollegiate? Because track is a major global sport. Analogs are soccer and World Cup skiing.

Arguably a great t&f program creates a vastly more competitive athletic environment because track and field is almost purely about athletic talent. Coaching is a differentiator, but best in class wins almost every single time.
LawHall88
AG
Aston04
AG
Love bcg! Go gett'em!!!
DukeMu
greg.w.h said:

Philip J Fry said:

MidTnAg said:

LesterHaze said:

Hell no!

You mean American or intercollegiate? Because track is a major global sport. Analogs are soccer and World Cup skiing.

Arguably a great t&f program creates a vastly more competitive athletic environment because track and field is almost purely about athletic talent. Coaching is a differentiator, but best in class wins almost every single time.

Track and field are the heart of the modern Olympic games. Always have been.
Sananag
LawHall88 said:

Go Billy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.