Shaka

16,649 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapCityAg89
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beat Kansas and they are in.

Take Kansas to the wire, they still have a prayer on Selection Sunday... Though I think in this scenario if TCU beats Okie Lite then they take Texas' spot.

Lose by double-digits and they are out.
TopoTacos
AG
For whatever reason, the bubble is huge this season and a lot of otherwise questionable teams will probably be dancing.

Shaka's team has 5 Q1 wins but a couple questionable losses to say the least (Radford? really?) if they can pull the upset against Kansas they are probably safe, otherwise I'm penciling them in to the NIT.
_lefraud_
AG
Radford lost in their conference championship game yesterday, so while it's a head scratching loss for the longhorns, that loss won't be what keeps them out of the tourney.
Tango_Mike
_lefraud_ said:

Radford lost in their conference championship game yesterday, so while it's a head scratching loss for the longhorns, that loss won't be what keeps them out of the tourney.
Radford's NET ranking is 143. They could have lost in the FIBA world championships yesterday and it would still be a killer loss
mhayden
Speaking of NET ranking - how is former #1 Ohio State faring on it's tourney prospects?
Tango_Mike
free_mhayden said:

Speaking of NET ranking - how is former #1 Ohio State faring on it's tourney prospects?
I'm not sure, when the committee is handed the NET rankings - which they have said will be the computer metric of record - will they get November results as well?

Also, how are the potholes in Melbourne, Australia? They are equally relevant
mhayden
That wasn't a knock directed at you, just at how badly the NET system (and first release) need refining.

Ohio State was #1. They are fighting to stay on the bubble.

Loyola Marymount was #10 nationally. They are 8-8 in the WCC.
Tango_Mike
free_mhayden said:

That wasn't a knock directed at you, just at how badly the NET system (and first release) need refining.

Ohio State was #1. They are fighting to stay on the bubble.

Loyola Marymount was #10 nationally. They are 8-8 in the WCC.
The way they broke down the quadrants (and perhaps the quadrants, at all) is dumb. I'm not sure how a win against Liberty is weighed the same as a win against Duke, but it's what they have this year. At least it will be more transparent that saying "we don't use the RPI" and then using everything but the word RPI
JJxvi
AG
Maybe Shaka could leave when the Virginia Tech job opens up
bobinator
AG
it isn't really "weighed the same" it's just listed in the same "quadrant."

Basically they wanted to make the team sheets easier to read so they moved all the crap games to the right two columns.
M.D.
AustinAg2012 said:

Lunardi currently has the whorns as an 11-seed. Losers of 4 of last 5 games, 16-15 overall record, and 8-10 in a weak conference. Hilarious if they make it in.

Sounds like you know a ton about basketball and aren't biased or bitter at all
Pumpkinhead
AG
The dark side for a school when they give out one of those big, long-term fully guaranteed contracts in order to reel in a 'splash' hire.

I don't think this will happen, but imagine if Jimbo produces mediocre 7-5 seasons the next three years. By then, Aggie football fans will have jumped ship and want the guy's head. But A&M would still be on the hook for $45 million to cut loose.

Even after the 2019-2020 season, after one more year if they then fired him...the horns would still be on the hook for $10.5 million dollar buyout.
expresswrittenconsent
The extension they gave Shaka after year 1 didnt help.
EXCELL
Quote:

A&M's AD also works at tu ???
BigHitterDaLama
M.D. said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Lunardi currently has the whorns as an 11-seed. Losers of 4 of last 5 games, 16-15 overall record, and 8-10 in a weak conference. Hilarious if they make it in.

That weak will send at least 7 schools into the tourney, with 2 Elite 8s and a final four from last year. Yeah, totally weak.
Mike Elko
AG
M.D. said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Okay, three "worthwhile" teams out of 10. Definitely a down year for the conference... Weak in my book. To each their own.
Mike Elko
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

M.D. said:

AustinAg2012 said:

That weak will send at least 7 schools into the tourney, with 2 Elite 8s and a final four from last year. Yeah, totally weak.
Pffft. Cool.
AggieDad74
BigHitterDaLama said:

M.D. said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Hells bells! Look at tu's con and non-con record! Have you seen them play in the past couple of weeks?

They don't deserve a berth in either the NCAA or the NIT, IMHO!
gig them
AG
AggieDad74 said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

M.D. said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Hells bells! Look at tu's con and non-con record! Have you seen them play in the past couple of weeks?

They don't deserve a berth in either the NCAA or the NIT, IMHO!

I know this is off topic, but I'm not sure I've seen imho in all caps with an exclamation point before.
Frank Grimes
AG
free_mhayden said:

Frank Grimes said:

_lefraud_ said:

Would Wake Forest snag him at this point?

Wake fans I know think they already have him.

Do they have any insight on how they are going to pay Manning's fully guaranteed contract?

I get that there's little barrier to entry to put up "I think this coach will be fired" articles, but it seems like a lot of these writers take this very basic viewpoint of "well the coach is not doing well so I think he'll be fired" without realizing that the financials very much drive things in college basketball. Duke and Kentucky can afford to write a check to buyout a mediocre coach because their athletic programs bring in enough revenue from basketball to make it worth it.

But this world where Texas and Wake Forest are writing 8-figure checks to get rid of basketball coaches (and then turning around and writing 8 figure contracts for new ones) is not based in any kind of reality.

So unless Danny Manning or Shaka Smart decide to walk away from tens of millions to go coach at a lesser program then they will both likely be holding the same job next season.
I don't know about the money side of it, but Wake just got a new AD and fans think he is there to pull the plug on Manning.
GrayMatter
AG
Why is this post on here? This isn't the Big12 boards anymore.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
mhayden
Frank Grimes said:

free_mhayden said:

Frank Grimes said:

_lefraud_ said:

Would Wake Forest snag him at this point?

Wake fans I know think they already have him.

Do they have any insight on how they are going to pay Manning's fully guaranteed contract?

I get that there's little barrier to entry to put up "I think this coach will be fired" articles, but it seems like a lot of these writers take this very basic viewpoint of "well the coach is not doing well so I think he'll be fired" without realizing that the financials very much drive things in college basketball. Duke and Kentucky can afford to write a check to buyout a mediocre coach because their athletic programs bring in enough revenue from basketball to make it worth it.

But this world where Texas and Wake Forest are writing 8-figure checks to get rid of basketball coaches (and then turning around and writing 8 figure contracts for new ones) is not based in any kind of reality.

So unless Danny Manning or Shaka Smart decide to walk away from tens of millions to go coach at a lesser program then they will both likely be holding the same job next season.
I don't know about the money side of it, but Wake just got a new AD and fans think he is there to pull the plug on Manning.

Wake is private so Manning's contract details are as well -- but the info that has been leaked seems to imply his contract is guaranteed and buyout would be $10m+... Even if Wake could swallow that, they wouldn't have the funds to then turn around and hire a $3m+/year coach like Shaka.
BQ_90
AG
GrayMatter said:

Why is this post on here? This isn't the Big12 boards anymore.
Because his board is more than just Aggie MBB.

Beard will definitely be a name thrown around for anyone looking for a coach.

and if the sips fire Shaka then we could be both looking for the same coaches.
Method Man
Maybe because we will be looking for a coach at the same time as our historic in state rival and we may have to fight them for our choice?
Traveler
AG
EXCELL said:

Quote:

Exactly. Whoever gave Sumlin that extension ought to be on his/her hands and knees thanking whoever negotiated Shaka's - now you're only the 2nd worse negotiator around ....
mhayden
You mean 3rd behind Kennedy's extension. Sumlin at least had a Top 5 finish (and a Top 20 finish) before we gifted him the extension.
BQ_90
AG
honestly the contracts at hiring normally isn't the problem, its the stupid extension that get us pinned in a corner.
GrayMatter
AG
Method Man said:

Maybe because we will be looking for a coach at the same time as our historic in state rival and we may have to fight them for our choice?
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
wareagle044
Was Shaka involved in the admissions scandal ?
BQ_90
AG
wareagle044 said:

Was Shaka involved in the admissions scandal ?
My guess is the sips will bribe the tennis coach to implicate Shaka in the scam so they can fire him
DukeMu
EXCELL said:

Quote:

Mike Elko
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

M.D. said:

AustinAg2012 said:

CapCityAg89
AG
mhayden
If they hire Shaka Smart (or any coach that is going to command a 8 figure contract), then I'll eat crow.

I just don't think schools like Wake or Texas are going to both buyout a large contract AND pen a new large contract.
CapCityAg89
AG
No need to eat crow. I think the development is pretty shocking if the Manning numbers are correct.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.