Shaka

16,643 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapCityAg89
NCTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No Wake fans really buy that Manning would actually be owed $18M if fired. That would mean that he was signed to a $3M per year, 8 year contract in 2017, which would just be completely asinine given all he had done at that point was make a first four (with the most efficient offensive player in the country...). We think it's probably more like $12-14M, which would also be asinine (if fully guaranteed), but not as completely because that would imply an annual salary of ~$2-$2.3M, a reasonable raise off of his original $1.7-1.8M deal.

If not due immediately then I could buy paying Shaka ~$2.5-2.8M (he will have to take a pay-cut in his next deal, that's just what happens when you're forced out, see Josh Pastner) while still paying Manning $2.25M per year. Our AD should be in much shape financially than when we originally signed Manning. Football is good (by our standards), we aren't also buying out a football coach, and the latest ACC deal pays significantly more.

I think Shaka would also be my second realistic choice behind Nate Oats. He hasn't lived up to expectations at Texas but he hasn't been a disaster either while having a lot of bad luck. And I don't think that job is as easy as it was during Barnes' peak, not with the Big 12 being so deep, and the state of Texas having lots of legit programs now. He did take VCU to a new level, that neither Wade or Rhoades have really been able to maintain and is obviously very familiar with that region, between his time at VCU, Clemson, and even Florida.

Anyway, hopefully Wake opens, but I don't think we will be competing for the same coach (although VT could be if Buzz is hired away, although Wake is a better job in most ways, aside from that little detail of dollars) so best of luck to you guys.
mhayden
CapCityAg89 said:

No need to eat crow. I think the development is pretty shocking if the Manning numbers are correct.

Wake is private so the Manning #'s are private. I was going by what the rumors were. Shaka's obviously we know.
Elephant Ghost
I always thought it would be fun if Shaka coached at Connecticut. He'd be the 'Shaka Conn' of the AAC.
CapCityAg89
AG
Looks like Shaka dollars not there ...

NCTX
CapCityAg89 said:

Looks like Shaka dollars not there ...

Those guys don't know *****
CapCityAg89
AG
You may be right - this is my first "coaching carousel season" following them. We'll see.
wacarnolds
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

CoachingChange needs better sources

CapCityAg89
AG
Funny. Yep. The guys that post on that handle are like a bunch of teen girls with gossip.
CapCityAg89
AG
Some love from them yesterday though ...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.