1-17 here we come

8,982 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EXCELL
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

While we'd definitely much prefer a perennial top ten team with a big-name and good character type of head coach, fans like me will be satisfied with seeing a coach who can keep his players... giving their best every game, hustling, playing as a team and being competitive against all teams that are not vastly superior talent wise. Right now we have that...
Dude. This is nowhere close to accurate. Zero-effort, no-shows are a staple of Kennedy's time at A&M. Remember climbing to #5 last year and then losing by 22 @Bama and 17 at home to Florida in back-to-back games? Remember losing to Kentucky by about 50 and missing the NIT the year before that? (That with a front court of Robert Williams and Tyler Davis!!) Remember North Texas beating the absolute **** out of us in Reed? And of course, I'm sure you can remember the no-show last night in which the announcers were making fun of our team's effort.

The idea that "Kennedy is a coach who gets his players to bring it every night, even when out-talented!" is one that is absolutely obliterated by 7.5 years of data. Kennedy teams, even the tournament ones, are good for 4 to 7 "we don't want to be here" games every single season. That is on top of the fact that he's literally one of the worst offensive coaches in the NCAA.
Method Man
Correct, DTJ.
mncag
If we lose 5 more in row Kennedy will retire or be fired mid season
Ags #1
AG
Don't see a case where he is fired midseason
Wicked Good Ag
That was the most uninspired effort at home since Moss State when people actually started walking out in disgust. And that was just last year
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
144-106 = .576 given 8-9 "cupcakes" per year that means sub .500 vs anyone else
61-69 in conference
4-7 in conference tourney (2 wins in one season meaning 1 and done 4 times, only to the semis once)

winning record in conference play TWICE.

106 losses and counting in 8 seasons = 14+ per year

approaching in career losses - Barone (120) and Watkins (112). One more season than Barone had. Two more than Watkins.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I didn't think 1-17. this was my prediction after Arky loss:

We have a CHANCE against, Vandy, Georgia, @Florida. Maybe win 2 of 3.
No chance against Tenn, @Arky, Auburn, @MSU or @OleMiss.
Maybe hope for splits with Mizzou, LSU, Bama, SC.
Should beat KSU at home.

We got a game against Bama on the road so maybe that split is now a sweep - but i doubt it.

Still looking at 6 wins at best, 5 in conference. But they could also tank. We'll see.

If we don't beat Mizzou at home, lose big at Florida, or also lose at home to KSU we are done.
Need to win 2 of these next 3 at least.

BQ_90
AG
EXCELL said:

I'm thinking strike 3 for StrikeOne.
it's the same script from the same people who defended Sumlin right up until the end.

"its the fans fault"
"who else can we hire that can do better"
"you guys wouldn't be happy if we won a title"

Same ****, different sport.
DukeMu
Admission should be free or a token $2 for the remainder of the season.

If the AD doesn't care anyway...
Captain Pablo
AG
BQ_90 said:

EXCELL said:

I'm thinking strike 3 for StrikeOne.
it's the same script from the same people who defended Sumlin right up until the end.

"its the fans fault"
"who else can we hire that can do better"
"you guess wouldn't be happy if we won a title"

Same ****, different sport.

Yep... those Sumlin clingers wrote the stupidest stuff I've ever read

Don't forget "hold recruiting class intact"
BQ_90
AG
DukeMu said:

Admission should be free or a token $2 for the remainder of the season.

If the AD doesn't care anyway...
You mean the same AD that fooked over their season ticket holders on the BC game.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Strike One said:

It's obvious that most of the posters on this forum will not be happy until somehow A&M can arrange to field a team that stays in the Top 5-10 all season long every season. Until then, it's all gloom and doom explained primarily, if not totally, by having a totally inept head coach (according to the majority). A few of us who have been die hard Aggie fans for 40 plus years have a different perspective. While we'd definitely much prefer a perennial top ten team with a big-name and good character type of head coach, fans like me will be satisfied with seeing a coach who can keep his players (including those with less talent than a lot of other teams have) giving their best every game, hustling, playing as a team and being competitive against all teams that are not vastly superior talent wise. Right now we have that with a coach who also seems to possess an excellent character even though he has not displayed excellent coaching on the floor and even though this year we do not have even average talent on the floor when you factor in our depleted team and overall inexperience.
If all Ags had an attitude like this, we'd still have Mike f'ing Sherman as our head coach and be in the Big 12.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Strike One said:

It's obvious that most of the posters on this forum will not be happy until somehow A&M can arrange to field a team that stays in the Top 5-10 all season long every season. Until then, it's all gloom and doom explained primarily, if not totally, by having a totally inept head coach (according to the majority). A few of us who have been die hard Aggie fans for 40 plus years have a different perspective. While we'd definitely much prefer a perennial top ten team with a big-name and good character type of head coach, fans like me will be satisfied with seeing a coach who can keep his players (including those with less talent than a lot of other teams have) giving their best every game, hustling, playing as a team and being competitive against all teams that are not vastly superior talent wise. Right now we have that with a coach who also seems to possess an excellent character even though he has not displayed excellent coaching on the floor and even though this year we do not have even average talent on the floor when you factor in our depleted team and overall inexperience.

you know how many seasons we have finished in the top 10......ONCE....ONE TIME in the entire history of the polls. 2006-07. Hell we've only finished in the final top 25 poll 7 more times for a total of 8.

we rank 75th on the AP all-time poll
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

and 75th in this ranking too
https://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-greatest-college-basketball-programs-time-statistically-ranked/2/

So sorry but that's asinine. Saying we have to be top 5-10 all season every season. FFS most of us would be thrilled if we were top 10 EVER AGAIN at the end of a season..... or maybe even a part of a season.

RomanAg11
AG
Snake
AG
Strike One said:

Strike 1, 2 AND 3....all in one post. SMH. I don't think I've ever seen so much fail in one post.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Should beat KSU at home.

We got a game against Bama on the road so maybe that split is now a sweep - but i doubt it.

Still looking at 6 wins at best, 5 in conference. But they could also tank. We'll see.

If we don't beat Mizzou at home, lose big at Florida, or also lose at home to KSU we are done.

Well thats one down..... that offset any positive off of beating Bama on the road.

now we almost have to win the next 2 or this is over and heading south rapidly.

mncag
Sticking with 4 and 14
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Should beat KSU at home.

Lost first 2 games when we needed to win 2 of 3.
And now KSU... they got hot beating 3 ranked teams (@ISU, @OU and TT) in their last 4 games.

After that......home game against Vandy might be best bet.

This thing is careening off the road now for sure.
JJxvi
AG
Our fans generally would be very happy with being decent, and then having one really good year where we were occasionally in the top 5 or 10 (not every week). Hell that year was last year. Except instead of that we got the typical turmoil of transfers, suspended players, under performance, which was thankfully partially salvaged by actually showing up for a big game in the tournament. We've had one pretty good year (3 years ago) and one decent year that was still below expectations (last year) out of 8. The rest has just been below expectations basically every time. The best thing I can say about this year, is that for once I already knew we were going to be this ****ty before it started.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Maybe hope for splits with Mizzou/@Mizzou, LSU/@LSU, Bama/@Bama, SC/@SC.
Should beat KSU at home.

Now 7-11 (1-6)

Narrowing down now:

2-4 wins possible at home vs Vandy and UGA and Bama and maybe a split with SC/@SC
I think almost all of these are unwinnable - Tenn, @Arky, @MSU @OleMiss @Mizzou @LSU

best case is 4 wins in conference I think now. But I doubt we win all of those.

9-23 (3-15)

Artimus Gordon
Bama & KSU's losses to A&M are really stacking up to be bad ones for their postseason resumes. We have become a pox on the rest of the SEC teams schedule!
greg.w.h
AG
For what it's worth...there's lots of bad company in the bottom of the conference...
DukeMu
halfastros81 said:

Maybe.... Ags didn't play badly at UK. They seem to be getting marginally better if not consistent.

Oddly, BK teams sometimes get up for KY, other good programs.

Unfortunately, his teams play down to or below inferior competition.
DukeMu
Artimus Gordon said:

Bama & KSU's losses to A&M are really stacking up to be bad ones for their postseason resumes. We have become a pox on the rest of the SEC teams schedule!

Gonna hurt them in NCAA seedings, invitation (Bama)
_lefraud_
AG
Intact
texag84
AG
Embarrassing! Rip the band aid off. Spend the $$$ and let's get a "Jimbo" hire
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Strike One said:

I think most of us just want to see A&M field a consistently competitive team. Kennedy struck gold with NBA talent in both 2015-2016 and 2017-2018. The 2017-2018 team was arguably the most talented men's basketball team a&m has ever put on the court and they finished the year as a disappointing 7 seed in the tourney. His results have been underwhelming. You say you want a team that gives their best every game, hustling, playing as a team and being competitive against all teams that are not vastly superior superior talent wise.This years team has been called out by Auburn, Missouri and LSU for their lack of effort. Auburn's Bryce Brown flat out said "you have a ranked opponent coming into your arena. They probably could have played a little harder" after the Auburn game at Reed Arena. Kennedy is an outstanding human being by all accounts but I think the demands of coaching and running a Power 5 college basketball program are too much for him.
Old Main
AG
1-17 is still possible, but my best guess is 3-15.
Cedar09
1-8 is horrible, and one win was a blank shot three as time was expiring. Something needs to be done!!
Captain Pablo
AG
texag84 said:

Embarrassing! Rip the band aid off. Spend the $$$ and let's get a "Jimbo" hire
Write a check!
Ag Me On
With a few breaks, I really think this team is capable of getting all the way to 2-16!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I've been pretty accurate - but the (hopeful at best) splits are becoming less probable as we have lost the home side of 2 of them but stole the road game at Bama.

Maybe hope for splits with Mizzou/@Mizzou, LSU/@LSU, Bama/@Bama, SC/@SC.
Should beat KSU at home.

Still Vandy and Georgia are terrible and we have them at home. I'm now thinking 3-15.
EXCELL
Quote:

If Kennedy and staff can show the team that fewer turnovers
If you have to do that, your players are at the junior high level with the game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.