1-17 here we come

8,980 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EXCELL
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags #1
AG
Lol. This win is just going to show up as a bad loss for bama come selection Sunday
Tobias Funke
AG
Hahaha
halfastros81
AG
Maybe.... Ags didn't play badly at UK. They seem to be getting marginally better if not consistent.
MMantle
AG
Why do you post this junk, what purpose does it have, are you an Aggie?

If so, in name only.

Pathetic.

RR
AgsNguyen
AG
Original poster can you please change title to "5-13" here we come. Will that make you happy mantle?
EXCELL
Quote:

are you an Aggie?

If so, in name only.
Now THAT is pathetic.

EXCELL
Quote:

Ags didn't play badly at UK.
And LubeCats didn't play well.
So what's your point? Are we counting "moral" victories now?
halfastros81
AG
The point is they seem to be improving marginally. I think they could accidentally win 4 or 5 conference games rather than just one
Captain Pablo
AG
MMantle said:

Why do you post this junk, what purpose does it have, are you an Aggie?

If so, in name only.

Pathetic.

RR
LOL

something something Francis
BQ_90
AG
nm
MMantle
AG
So, does that mean that 1-17 will make you happy?

RR
Captain Pablo
AG
MMantle said:

So, does that mean that 1-17 will make you happy?

RR
Who me?
MMantle
AG
I think AgsNguyen was the one who made the comment about changing the record from 1-17 to 5-13, and asked if that would make me happy.

RR
AgsNguyen
AG
What would make me happy is for Bk to turn into coach k and win every game. But short of that happening I want whatever record will get us a coaching change. I am happy to sacrifice one year to have a chance at avoiding a complete collapse of talent in this program. It's much better for a quick death to the Bk staff then to wither on the vine for another two seasons.
Richierich2323
The Starks interview at the end of the game said a lot as far as how the team is doing right now. The team still believes in Coach Kennedy and as long as they do we will win some games. It's gotta be a complete dumpster fire to go 0-18.

Before we lost Gilder, I thought we would start slow and end up getting our mojo in SEC play and getting to or above .500. I can still see that happening if we can keep the turnovers low, play defense, and do what we can to get the ball into the hands of our hottest players.
coloradoag69
AG
I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but it seems as if the OP and others are looking to enjoy a 1 - 17 or 5 - 13 SEC record. If that's so, I'm with MMantle. I want our teams to win as much as they can. This team plays hard. I think we all recognize they don't have UK's talent, but they still played them close on the road until the last 3 minutes.

I don't get true Ags wanting the team to lose. I can understand if you don't like BK, but why take that out on our players? If at the end of season, you don't like the results, pony up your big bucks, go to the AD, and suggest a better coach. (One that will actually come and stay here.)

I'm going to root hard for this team until the season's over.
GE
AG
AgsNguyen said:

nm
Wicked Good Ag
One question is who will be the big body player behind Nebo next year. I was thinking this season was going to be a rebuild year with pieces that could be very interchangeable. The four out one in model relies on three point shooting and an inside threat. We have that inside threat this year but not the three point shooting. Can do the same next season but who will be behind Nebo in case of foul trouble because Walker still needs another 25 pounds right now to handle the low post for long minutes
GE
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

One question is who will be the big body player behind Nebo next year. I was thinking this season was going to be a rebuild year with pieces that could be very interchangeable. The four out one in model relies on three point shooting and an inside threat. We have that inside threat this year but not the three point shooting. Can do the same next season but who will be behind Nebo in case of foul trouble because Walker still needs another 25 pounds right now to handle the low post for long minutes
We will have to get a grad transfer or JUCO. There is no other option unless we miraculously sign an uncommitted guy from high school or an overseas guy from high school. I guess if Walker puts on another 20-30 pounds we could try him out down there for short periods if Nebo can go most of the game, but it's not a good situation.

The only other option would be a surprise whereby Tyreek Smith comes in much bigger than he is listed and is able to contribute immediately as a freshman.
Wicked Good Ag
If Kennedy and staff can show the team that fewer turnovers and realizing that when someone is hot you feed them the ball and you can find way to win and they buy into that mindset while improving parimeter defense I am curious as to the progression this team will make over the next two months. I am not saying we will have a great record but what I want is to see continual improvement. I like the pieces this team has and will be getting next year as well. When bad Starks is out there can we make adjustments to feed the ball to the players that are making plays. When good Starks is out there we can play with anyone in conference (I didn't necessarily say win)
AgsNguyen
AG
coloradoag69 said:

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but it seems as if the OP and others are looking to enjoy a 1 - 17 or 5 - 13 SEC record. If that's so, I'm with MMantle. I want our teams to win as much as they can. This team plays hard. I think we all recognize they don't have UK's talent, but they still played them close on the road until the last 3 minutes.

I don't get true Ags wanting the team to lose. I can understand if you don't like BK, but why take that out on our players? If at the end of season, you don't like the results, pony up your big bucks, go to the AD, and suggest a better coach. (One that will actually come and stay here.)

Let me put it to you this way. In 3 or 4 years from now there will be an Aggie basketball team. Why should I ask those future kids to be coached by Bk? If Bk is still here in 3-4 years then those teams talent wise will be so much more screwed then this years team.

What I sit here and root for is for Bk to not be just good enough to keep his job. Not winning anything of value combined with keeping current staff is the worst of both worlds . If you are going to win go ahead but if you are going to suck then I really want you to suck.
GE
AG
AgsNguyen said:

coloradoag69 said:

Let me put it to you this way. In 3 or 4 years from now there will be an Aggie basketball team. Why should I ask those future kids to be coached by Bk? If Bk is still here in 3-4 years then those teams talent wise will be so much more screwed then this years team.

What I sit here and root for is for Bk to not be just good enough to keep his job. Not winning anything of value combined with keeping current staff is the worst of both worlds . If you are going to win go ahead but if you are going to suck then I really want you to suck.
What's your basis for the bolded statement?
AgsNguyen
AG
The history of recruiting since Bk has been here. Stripping out the miracle recruiting class of gilder Thomas Tyler and dj. We've hit it out of the park with some transfers and I just don't realistically see that repeating itself (house ,Jones).

Look at how many open spots are on this roster. Look at how much time and effort they put into Caldwell...a guy who had red flags all over him. Do you really think Bk is on top on recruiting? Yes they seem to have done decent the last signing period but that isn't near enough.
GE
AG
AgsNguyen said:

The history of recruiting since Bk has been here. Stripping out the miracle recruiting class of gilder Thomas Tyler and dj. We've hit it out of the park with some transfers and I just don't realistically see that repeating itself (house ,Jones).

Look at how many open spots are on this roster. Look at how much time and effort they put into Caldwell...a guy who had red flags all over him. Do you really think Bk is on top on recruiting? Yes they seem to have done decent the last signing period but that isn't near enough.
'15 class was excellent, '17 class was good, '19 class is good. Just need to land a couple in the even years.

I agree with you that the program has probably peaked under Kennedy and it isn't highly likely we have one of the top teams in the country again at least for the foreseeable future. I don't agree however that this year's team is likely to be more talented than the future ones in say 2020 or 2021. 2020 could be a peak year if we can add another quality post or two.
phatty26
we say 1-17 because we know we can do so much better than this guy. We hate to say that but bk needs to be gone. He had two decent years but even then it was boring basketball.

This is what he does he wins a few loses more it sucks, all the while real coaches make far less than this thief. Its scary to think this guy could be here more years doing this crap. Why do we settle for crap like this.
GE
AG
phatty26 said:

we say 1-17 because we know we can do so much better than this guy. We hate to say that but bk needs to be gone. He had two decent years but even then it was boring basketball.

This is what he does he wins a few loses more it sucks, all the while real coaches make far less than this thief. Its scary to think this guy could be here more years doing this crap. Why do we settle for crap like this.
Explain this part. Boring compared to what?
Aston04
AG
^For me I consider every season of BK boring (or frustrating) basketball is because I don't think he maxes out production from his teams (underachieve generally imo). That makes it a lot less fun for me to watch Ex) losing like we did to Michigan was extremely frustrating. We were completely outclassed on the sideline. Frustrating... especially coming off the UNC game where we showed flashes of hope of being very competitive at that next level.

That said, while realistically I know more losses=better chance of letting go BK (which is probably best long term for the program)... I can't come to grips with rooting for losses. Want the kids to win. Want A&M to win. So there's that.

MMantle
AG
Understand your thoughts about the Michigan game, it was a bad match-up game for us, but wasn't that more than offset by the great win the previous game?

I understand where AgsNguyen is coming from, I feel your frustration, I respect your big picture approach, but I'm like a number of others, can't watch an Aggie game, in any sport, and even think about the possibility of Ags losing.

As ColoradoAg69 said, I like watching these guys play, I like pulling for them, yes, they're basketball-skills-deprived in some areas, but they bust their butts out there, and are getting better every game.

RR
mhayden
GE said:

AgsNguyen said:

'15 class was excellent, '17 class was good, '19 class is good. Just need to land a couple in the even years.

I agree with you that the program has probably peaked under Kennedy and it isn't highly likely we have one of the top teams in the country again at least for the foreseeable future. I don't agree however that this year's team is likely to be more talented than the future ones in say 2020 or 2021. 2020 could be a peak year if we can add another quality post or two.

Are we talking one of the top teams in the country based on preseason rankings?

In 7 years under Kennedy we've finished ranked once -- #15.
TopoTacos
AG
I swear sometimes it feels like this board believes that recruiting is the only factor in winning games...

It all comes back to coaching. Which we don't have.
mhayden
You can win both ways, and there's a ceiling both ways.

Ref: Mark Turgeon
Ref: Early Scott Drew

If Kennedy was landing consistent Top 15 classes, a lot of his coaching deficiencies could/would get ignored.
GE
AG
free_mhayden said:

GE said:

AgsNguyen said:

Maybe I'm delusional but the A&M team that showed up against UNC and Kentucky (at home) last year was one of the top few teams nationally. That is, if we had a good game and the opponent had a good game we would beat just about anyone.
mhayden
GE said:

free_mhayden said:

GE said:

AgsNguyen said:

Maybe I'm delusional but the A&M team that showed up against UNC and Kentucky (at home) last year was one of the top few teams nationally. That is, if we had a good game and the opponent had a good game we would beat just about anyone.

Being a top team in the country and playing like a top team in the country are two different things. What makes great teams great is that they bring it consistently.

There's a fifty teams each year that could play the "well if this didn't happen or that didn't happen then we would have been..." game. Hell, that's what our fanbase chose to do with most of the non-NCAA tourney years -- always some "if" or "but", not grasping that tons of teams have those "ifs" or "buts" each year.

At season's end, the associated press viewed us as the 15th best team in the nation
Strike One
It's obvious that most of the posters on this forum will not be happy until somehow A&M can arrange to field a team that stays in the Top 5-10 all season long every season. Until then, it's all gloom and doom explained primarily, if not totally, by having a totally inept head coach (according to the majority). A few of us who have been die hard Aggie fans for 40 plus years have a different perspective. While we'd definitely much prefer a perennial top ten team with a big-name and good character type of head coach, fans like me will be satisfied with seeing a coach who can keep his players (including those with less talent than a lot of other teams have) giving their best every game, hustling, playing as a team and being competitive against all teams that are not vastly superior talent wise. Right now we have that with a coach who also seems to possess an excellent character even though he has not displayed excellent coaching on the floor and even though this year we do not have even average talent on the floor when you factor in our depleted team and overall inexperience.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.