Jasey

3,945 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wacarnolds
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BK is going to get Jasey involved more in the rotation. Kid isn't a scorer but he plays defense and rebounds well, and provides a presence in the paint.

Jasey is going to overtake nebo in the rotation in my estimation. We just play too many teams with length and we just aren't good enough shooting to play small ball yet.
Ags #1
AG
Maybe I missed something last night but didn't Nebo have 2 really good games so far?
Aston04
AG
Missed last night too.... Not sure so sure about that... Although Jasey does look a lot stronger this year.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Ags #1 said:

Maybe I missed something last night but didn't Nebo have 2 really good games so far?
He no showed last night...but he's probably not athletic enough nor tall enough against P5 teams.

He's a dunker, which isn't going happen much against P5 teams with how short he is for C/PF. Jasey is just a wide and tall body who is just as atheletic, but maybe less threat to score. Jasey will hold his own in the rebounding department, guys will just reach/jump over nebo.
bobinator
AG
Jasey is not "just as athletic" unless you've seen some practices or something. He is bigger, but he's nowhere near as athletic as Nebo is.
mallen
AG
Jasey had a decent game last night. I'm liking his game over game progress. Nebo is a better overall player at this point. Both guys will get a lot of minutes this year.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
mallen said:

Jasey had a decent game last night. I'm liking his game over game progress. Nebo is a better overall player at this point. Both guys will get a lot of minutes this year.
See I just don't think Nebo is better. Especially against, P5 teams. Against and SFA or UCI, etc Nebo style may be better suited, but against 6'9 / 6'10 / 6'11 guys he stands no chance. Jasey is a rebounding defending blocking big wide bodied 5 man. He has a role.

Nebo doesn't really have a role or place because his game is 5 man esque, but he's not very big. If he doesn't have space to dunk, he's not doing much. Unless, we're playing a very very small team, he's going to get swallowed up.

Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
bobinator said:

Jasey is not "just as athletic" unless you've seen some practices or something. He is bigger, but he's nowhere near as athletic as Nebo is.
Respectfully disagree.

Nebo is not very athletic....neither is Jasey. That's where I was going with the "just as athletic" comment. Both are somewhat physical and can dunk. Jasey appears to be much wider and 5 inches taller. Jasey is the much better rebounder and blocker. Neither can shoot very well. Neither dribble very well. Neither pass very well. Similar post games, although Jasey has to the ability to baby hook over top (which he did twice last night). I'd much rather go with the 5 man, rather than the undersized 4 man who's trying to play 5 but can't stretch the court... in hopes of improving our rebounding / blocks / interior defense.

Meko is "meh" as well. he's not a stretch 4 so I'm not really sure why we recruited him to play "small ball 4 out offense". It doesn't really work unless your guards and 4 man can stretch the court by making 3's. We'll see if BK can make it work if Gilder and Mitchell ever come back.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

Jasey appears to be much wider and 5 inches taller.
I think you need to get your eyes checked

wacarnolds
AG
and Meko wasn't recruited as a stretch 4. He's clearly a 5 man in this era of spread basketball
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
wacarnolds said:

Quote:

I'm going by what I watched last night...encourage you to pull up the 2nd half of the game on espn app. in gameplay, Jasey plays much taller and longer. Nebo looks much smaller live. Nebo looks like a SF trying to play Center.

wacarnolds
AG
and Jasey has the worst defensive rebounding percentage on the entire roster

this whole damn thread is a mess
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
wacarnolds said:

and Meko wasn't recruited as a stretch 4. He's clearly a 5 man in this era of spread basketball
what??? you can't be serious. Meko is tiny. he's all we've got, i get that...so he might be in that role, because he's the best we got and we haven't recuited much for this system. Meko is not a 5 man in any era of basketball. Spread or otherwise. Maybe in the high school game.
wacarnolds
AG

Quote:

I'm going by what I watched last night...encourage you to pull up the 2nd half of the game on espn app. in gameplay, Jasey plays much taller and longer. Nebo looks much smaller live. Nebo looks like a SF trying to play Center.

In 16 minutes, Nebo had 5 rebounds and 2 blocks.
In 11 minutes, Jasey had 1 rebound and 0 blocks
wacarnolds
AG
Motracicletraficificker said:

wacarnolds said:

what??? you can't be serious. Meko is tiny. he's all we've got, i get that...so he might be in that role, because he's the best we got and we haven't recuited much for this system. Meko is not a 5 man in any era of basketball. Spread or otherwise. Maybe in the high school game.
now i just feel like you're trolling with this sort of ignorance
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
maybe we can agree on this...Mahan sucks of something awful and we desparately need Mitchell or Gilder (or both) to completely keep Mahan off the court all together...agree / disagree?
wacarnolds
AG

maybe we can agree on this...Mahan sucks of something awful and we desparately need Mitchell or Gilder (or both) to completely keep Mahan off the court all together...agree / disagree?

I'm not ready to write him off completely, but I've said from the beginning that people were probably overestimating his ability to contribute right away based on a single (albeit impressive) number from his stat sheet. Maybe the game slows down for him and he finds his shot. Maybe it doesn't.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
I just think he's a liability on defense, so if the shot's not working he's of little value.

DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

I liked our 5 out look on some possessions. It's wasn't that effective, but a good look.
bobinator
AG
Definitely better than our 'Starks is our only offense but let's be sure that someone is standing in the lane so their defender can help on Starks' offense.
DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

I'm not ready to write him off completely, but I've said from the beginning that people were probably overestimating his ability to contribute right away based on a single (albeit impressive) number from his stat sheet. Maybe the game slows down for him and he finds his shot. Maybe it doesn't.

This is the thing about JC transfers in today's game. Sticking gold on a Jimmy Butler is damn near impossible. It's not the 1980s where you could pick up (ex. UNLV) real talent at the JC level.

With AAU, metrics, and social media age of HS recruiting - college coaches know everyone who will be good at the D-1 level.

Mitchell may be the best of the current crop, but I expect it will take him some time to adjust.

Mahan is just a body right now...so yes, replacing him with Mitchell in the starting lineup will improve the team.

DukeMu
bobinator said:

Definitely better than our 'Starks is our only offense but let's be sure that someone is standing in the lane so their defender can help on Starks' offense.

Flagg can actually take advantage of this.

Last year, it was comedically grotesque how Starks would attempt to split the trees that stayed inside because we had Davis and Williams.

The irony of the A&M, UNC game was that A&M was EXACTLY the kind of team Roy Williams crushes with - assuming Wilson at PG. Inside-out game. Good picks. Occasional dagger.

Weed and injuries forced Wilson to have to do too much at A&M - which is why he injured his knee.

wacarnolds
AG
DukeMu said:

wacarnolds said:

I liked our 5 out look on some possessions. It's wasn't that effective, but a good look.

It's fine in theory, but I don't think we have the ball movement or sufficient pace/intent with player movement or enough players with individual ball skills to execute it on a consistent basis. Getting Mitchell and Gilder back in the fold should help with a lot of that, but the guys out there right now just aren't doing it for me.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG

BK is going to get Jasey involved more in the rotation. Kid isn't a scorer but he plays defense and rebounds well, and provides a presence in the paint.

Jasey is going to overtake nebo in the rotation in my estimation. We just play too many teams with length and we just aren't good enough shooting to play small ball yet.
Self bump....for all the Jasey haters
wacarnolds
AG
Bumping a thread where you proclaim Mahan shouldn't see the court. Bold strategy
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
wacarnolds said:

Bumping a thread where you proclaim Mahan shouldn't see the court. Bold strategy
Before tonight mahan was beyond atrocious, especially defensively. He's playing good tonight which is great. Hope he stays consistent.

And...Jasey should be seeing more minutes.
DR.ZAP
AG
Is it just me, or is Jasey almost never out there with either Nebo or Mek? I get we are thin at the position, but a legit 4/5 combo would be nice every once in awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Method Man
wacarnolds said:

Quote:

I didn't know Gabe from the office had eligibility.
bobinator
AG
DR.ZAP said:

Is it just me, or is Jasey almost never out there with either Nebo or Mek? I get we are thin at the position, but a legit 4/5 combo would be nice every once in awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd say you're wrong, but not completely.

We don't really have the combination of skills to have a 'legit 4/5 combo.'

None of them can really create their own shot or shoot from distance (although Meko at least has that occasional step back/fadeaway he hits), they mostly rely on offensive boards, dump offs, lobs, etc.

Having two of them out there would make us even easier to defend than we already are.

Now, having said that, we can't shoot anyway, and you could probably make a case that having a couple big guys out there (especially Meko who could probably play at the top of a press and create some passing lane issues) to create turnovers could lead to fast break buckets or something.

Meko and Nebo are quick enough that I think they'd be pretty good at trapping if you went all in on being a chaos team, and if you did that then maybe you could work them out there together.
wacarnolds
AG
We're shooting 22% from 3 this year. Maybe having two big men on the floor to rebound all those misses could be a viable offensive strategy.
bobinator
AG
Hell last night some of our shots were so far off they might have worked as lobs if we'd have had someone rolling to the bucket.
Aggie1205
AG

I'm glad Mahan was on the court last night. Kept us in the game. Maybe we shouldn't make all judgements about a player in their first three games. I thought Mahan looked good defensively vs UCI.
DR.ZAP
AG
bobinator said:

DR.ZAP said:

I'd say you're wrong, but not completely.

We don't really have the combination of skills to have a 'legit 4/5 combo.'

None of them can really create their own shot or shoot from distance (although Meko at least has that occasional step back/fadeaway he hits), they mostly rely on offensive boards, dump offs, lobs, etc.

Having two of them out there would make us even easier to defend than we already are.

Now, having said that, we can't shoot anyway, and you could probably make a case that having a couple big guys out there (especially Meko who could probably play at the top of a press and create some passing lane issues) to create turnovers could lead to fast break buckets or something.

Meko and Nebo are quick enough that I think they'd be pretty good at trapping if you went all in on being a chaos team, and if you did that then maybe you could work them out there together.

I just think it would be nice to have that extra size at the top of the key (a la Tyler Davis) when teams inevitably go zone on us. Starks seems scared to get the ball to Flagg or anyone else in that position in our zone sets, so maybe some size would give him a little encouragement. OBVIOUSLY there's no TD and Williams combo in the paint, but they could get SOMETHING moving in our sleepy offense. Defensively, I think it would work well depending on the opposing lineup given Meko's athleticism.
bobinator
AG
Getting the ball into the paint against a zone is very difficult no matter how good you are, it's the entire point of the zone, but if you can't shoot, it's next to impossible. I'm not sure putting more big guys on the court is going to help any.

Now if we had a skilled big who was a great passer or could shoot from the midrange then that obviously changes things. I do my share of Kennedy hating on here, but when it comes to actual in-game x's and o's, we don't have a lot of options right now.

For any team that has athletes as good or better than ours, defending us is extremely easy right now because we can't shoot. John Wooden's ghost couldn't scheme us out of that glaring weakness on the offensive end.

Right now our only hope is to not really have to play offense. Create havoc, make the game chaotic, and hopefully our good transition plays outweigh the bad ones. That was the recipe that worked last night, and then as soon as we got the lead and tried to play halfcourt ball I don't think we made another basket.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.