Thoughts on the overall trajectory of the program?

13,268 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiesrulegigem
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just to make sure I'm keeping up, Hop still thinks Kennedy should be fired, right?
Double Diamond
Jamie Dixon was making the NCAA tournament every year at Pitt in what was the toughest league in basketball. Started slipping at the end. Doesn't change the fact he is a top 15 current coach. And anyone would take him over Kennedy.
Method Man
haha you're opinion should be discounted as homerish and unintelligent.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

More stable with 10 guys on scholarship? 5 of which haven't played any significant minutes at the division 1 level? Turge was roasted by texags for "leaving the cupboard bare" and having so few guys on scholarship. Yet, all Turge did was make the NCAA tournament EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. How stable can ya get?

What does Turgeon making the NCAA's four years have to do with leaving the cupboard bare? And to clarify, I've never said he left the cupboard bare. I said he left the program with 5-6 good, solid players, but two of those six got hurt and missed a significant portion of the next season....and he didn't leave the program with much depth at all . He left AFTER the spring signing period with only 10 scholarship players.

What was more likely for 2012, for Turgeon to make the tournament or for Turgeon to go 4-14 in league play?

Given the injuries....4-14. That's not to say I think they would've gone 4-14. Turgeon would have had his same system in place and he would've been coaching the team in October practices, so the lack of change and actually being at practice would have made the team more efficient. I do not think that team without Roberson or a healthy Middleton makes the NCAA's under Turgeon. That would've been a 7-11 type of team.
_lefraud_
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Just to make sure I'm keeping up, Hop still thinks Kennedy should be fired, right?
I think he is in the quintessential PUMP wait and see mode. 2018 recruiting is "better" than it was a week ago, and let's see how it plays out after the Spring signing period. But if he doesn't put together something special for 2019, AND misses the tournament in 2019, then he needs to be fired.

So many damn parameters: if this, or if that, well let's see, and well if this happens, etc...
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I think the program could use new leadership. I think this current staff has not been recruiting at a level to sustain long-term talent needed to compete near the top of the SEC.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Double Diamond said:

My apologies, three star recruit. Again good pick up but hardly a program shifting moment.

Who also redshirted at Baylor...

Two years ago....the guy lit it up at Trinity Valley and the people who rank JUCO prospects say he's the best in the country. It is strange that you cherry pick data from two years ago and skip over data that is less than two months old.

Double Diamond
The upper level SEC schools are all upping recruiting many upping the coach they have. You have to keep up with the heavy hitters.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I think he is in the quintessential PUMP wait and see mode. 2018 recruiting is "better" than it was a week ago, and let's see how it plays out after the Spring signing period. But if he doesn't put together something special for 2019, AND misses the tournament in 2019, then he needs to be fired.

So many damn parameters: if this, or if that, well let's see, and well if this happens, etc...

I will advise you to stop making things up about my position and my thoughts in this "fantasy" discussion you are having with yourself. If I have a position, I will articulate it.
Double Diamond
For the record I agree with Hop. It's a fair and correct position.
TXAggie2011
AG
Double Diamond said:

For the record I agree with Hop. It's a fair and correct position.
Do you agree on the outcome or the reasons? They have a bad record next year but they recruit lights out, Kennedy should keep his job?
TXAggie2011
AG
You were just telling GE he worries too much about "means" (recruiting) but that's OK if the outcome is fire Kennedy?
Double Diamond
I think the program needs new leadership blood what ever you want to call it. Recruiting isn't good enough, and coaching isn't good enough.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond said:

My apologies, three star recruit. Again good pick up but hardly a program shifting moment.
How many stars did Acie Law have? How many did Jerald Brown have?
Double Diamond
Yea how many did Middleton or Walkup or Elston Turner. Of course low ranked players can play. Many turn out to be great. Doesn't change the fact who knows about Mitchell.
Method Man
The star rating system is flawed but higher starred players are generally better. Bball is super flawed though.
DukeMu
Trajectory: Not Sustainable

Trocha finally got his glue guy role and now he's gone

Hogg added length and spacing - gone

RW - fierce rim protector - gone

Gilder, Davis - ???

Concerns about recruiting remain.

We're relying on a JUCO and transfer to make the NCAAT...and A&M doesn't even have guarantees Davis and Gilder will return.

It would be better to bring in new HC talent, but it's not going to happen. The window for doing so is virtually closed now, anyway. If A&M makes the NCAAT next year, then Kennedy hangs on another year. With each successful year, the rebuild becomes more and more difficult.

I just don't think Kennedy can maintain recruiting without Stansbury. And the Michigan game was not a good look for the brand.

The smart thing to do would be to hire Buzz or Beard yesterday. It is what it is.
DukeMu
Double Diamond said:

Yea how many did Middleton or Walkup or Elston Turner. Of course low ranked players can play. Many turn out to be great. Doesn't change the fact who knows about Mitchell.
JUCOs are generally JUCOs for a reason. HS b'ball players are looked over in detail today via metrics, multimedia hype.

Football players develop late, so occasionally, you can find a stud in JUCO. It's super rare today in b'ball. In the 1980s, and if your name was UNLV it was a different story.

TBF Mitchell was recruited as a 3-star player for Baylor - it didn't work out. He could be a solid contributor. The transition is always tough. Could be a Caldwell bust or Wilson re-injury
sincereag
Losing Trocha and Hogg isn't devastating to the program IMO. I like the fact that we're loading up on athletic guards who can can score and rebound. We can go smaller than in past and good guard play is more critical than a dominating frontcourt IMO. And losing to Michigan like we did is offset by our blowout of NC. Besides, many good teams got blown out in the tourney....just happens sometimes. I like getting JUCOs and transfers to go along with hopefully getting Davis and Gilder back to setup for another NCAA run next year.
Topher17
AG
Unless Jacey and Nebo are exceptionally good, we are going to be incredibly thin in the post. Like scary thin
greg.w.h
AG
Topher17 said:

Unless Jacey and Nebo are exceptionally good, we are going to be incredibly thin in the post. Like scary thin

So once the S&C staff bulk them up it won't be as scary??
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

Double Diamond said:

Two years ago....the guy lit it up at Trinity Valley and the people who rank JUCO prospects say he's the best in the country. It is strange that you cherry pick data from two years ago and skip over data that is less than two months old.

He is rated #2 JUCO on 247 composite. It is certainly possible that he gives us something significant. You can't just assume JUCO pickups are mediocre or suck. Arkansas for example just had an NCAA team led by two starting perimeter players (Barford and Bacon) who were both highly ranked JUCO guard recruits similar to Mitchell.

Obviously, 'who knows', but If he turns out like Barford and Bacon at Arky then he'll have been a pretty good get. Would be curious if any poster here has any good personal knowledge/insight on specifically this guy's game.

Aston04
AG
Topher17 said:

We know that's not the case with Jacey- at least for next season.

But we really need one big man on the court at the same time, if we play more smaller lineups.
greg.w.h
AG
There is nothing to recommend continuing BK's tenure other than two trips to the S16 in two years out of seven years at Texas A&M. The buyout was unnecessary but has become the latest excuse to retain.

The recruiting has been poor other than the fab fish of whom one left immediately and there is at least a chance all are gone before next year. Lucky strikes with various transfers talent along the way was meaningful and with better talent BK is definitely a more effective coach but still seems to get outcoached frequently.

His one outstanding gameper the OPwas hardly against a classic UNC team. Our win against Dean Smith in 1980 was by far a more impressive win and the team was not blown out in the S16 round that year until the second overtime and fouls caught up.

I think we should replace him right now. Pay him. If that means getting a flyer coach and giving him a three-year contract and possibly firing during the season if he's bad, then hire Scott Cross.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Topher17 said:

Logan said on the radio that Nebo 'if not as athletic as Robert Williams, is close to being as athletic'. Said he was just not as long as Robert was and really is a straight 5 player, not somebody you'd consider as much playing at PF like Williams. The guy did lead his conference in shot blocking before transferring to A&M.

If Davis comes back, I personally think we'll probably be fine with a rotation of Davis/Nebo/Jasey. Certainly at least in terms of manning the 5-spot. So much hinges on Davis coming back.

And if the skill sets force the staff to only use lineups with one big and 4 perimeter oriented guys, that may not be a bad thing the way basketball has been evolving.
bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

that may not be a bad thing the way basketball has been evolving.
And with how bad we are at floor spacing anyway.
_lefraud_
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

Double Diamond said:

He is rated #2 JUCO on 247 composite. It is certainly possible that he gives us something significant. You can't just assume JUCO pickups are mediocre or suck. Arkansas for example just had an NCAA team led by two starting perimeter players (Barford and Bacon) who were both highly ranked JUCO guard recruits similar to Mitchell.

Obviously, 'who knows', but If he turns out like Barford and Bacon at Arky then he'll have been a pretty good get. Would be curious if any poster here has any good personal knowledge/insight on specifically this guy's game.

Barford and Bacon were both non-qualifiers. I made the comment about him redshirting because it's not typical for a guy to do so. Same reason no one thinks Walker will contribute next year (if ever). But hopefully Mitchell found something about his game at the JUCO ranks that will help him contribute this go around.

Mitchell seems to be a volume shooter, so my only real concern is how he and Starks will manage sharing the basketball.
Gap
AG

Quote:

There is nothing to recommend continuing BK's tenure other than two trips to the S16 in two years out of seven years at Texas A&M.
And that is more trips to the Sweet 16 than any other coach in our history. Like him or not, he has made 2 trips to the Sweet 16 in the last 3 years and he will be here next year.
expresswrittenconsent
Gap said:

Like him or not, he has made 2 trips to the Sweet 16 in the last 3 years and he will be here next year.

Nobody is debating that. This thread is about fan opinion of the current state of the program.
Pumpkinhead
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

Double Diamond said:

Barford and Bacon were both non-qualifiers. I made the comment about him redshirting because it's not typical for a guy to do so. Same reason no one thinks Walker will contribute next year (if ever). But hopefully Mitchell found something about his game at the JUCO ranks that will help him contribute this go around.

Mitchell seems to be a volume shooter, so my only real concern is how he and Starks will manage sharing the basketball.
An article from one Baylor guy when Mitchell transferred, opining on his potential and theorizing his possible reasons for transferring.

https://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-basketball/2017/9/8/16264602/why-did-you-have-to-go-chuck

Quote:

Last season, Mitchell had already begun to earn playing time as a reserve. He averaged nearly 9 minutes a game, scoring just short of 3 points on an average of 2.5 shots. In Baylor's dismal loss at West Virginia, Mitchell was the only Bear who seemed capable of shaking off the funk. He showed nice progress throughout the season. All indications pointed to an increased role for him as he matured and slowed down his game just a bit. The occasional recklessness (reminiscent of a young Taurean Prince) was forgivable, and he projects to be an exciting player.

To boot, minutes had just opened up at Mitchell's position next season after the transfer of Freeman. Looking at the depth chart, King McClure is the only other shooting guard not just ahead of Mitchell, but on the roster at all. The roster situation after Freeman's departure almost necessitated an increase in Mitchell's role. Pair the roster situation with Drew's tendency to increase player responsibility year over year, and Mitchell was almost a lock to play 20+ minutes per game.

On its face, it doesn't look like positional competition would be a reason for Mitchell to transfer to a JUCO school. There is a more complicated way to think about it, though.

Quote:

If Mitchell had stuck around, however, and demonstrated improvement in his decision-making, he could have alleviated some of that strain and made the rotations a bit simpler for Drew. Even at 15-17 minutes a game, Mitchell could have given each of Lecomte, McClure, and Lindsey a breather by playing off guard and by spot filling at point guard. For a sophomore by eligibility, 15-17 minutes a game isn't too shabby.

Still, it seems as though that might not have been enough for Mitchell. As a dominant scorer and ball handler in high school, he may feel as though he should have the ball in his hands more with the green light to #DoStuff. Transferring to a junior college will certainly give him the opportunity to put up a lot of shots. Ironically, a season at the JUCO level could turn Mitchell into exactly the type of guard Drew loves to target as a transfer. It's not hard to imagine Mitchell developing a profile comparable to the likes of Pierre Jackson, Kenny Cherry, and Lester Medford. The latter, in particular, could be a decent comparison for what Mitchell might look like after playing against a lower level of competition.

sincereag
Good work PH!
bobinator
AG
Now we're quoting a Baylor fan site article written by someone named "Pocket Change" that has 400 followers on twitter?
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Quote:

There is nothing to recommend continuing BK's tenure other than two trips to the S16 in two years out of seven years at Texas A&M.
And that is more trips to the Sweet 16 than any other coach in our history. Like him or not, he has made 2 trips to the Sweet 16 in the last 3 years and he will be here next year.

So whether or not we SHOULD retain him we are GOING to. Did I miss some other point you're making in your fallacious appeal to the authority of the AD's/TMF's decisionmaking?
Double Diamond
So two wins equal more than seven seasons worth of data.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Now we're quoting a Baylor fan site article written by someone named "Pocket Change" that has 400 followers on twitter?

Says the guy on a free Texas A&M basketball board....it's a data point and we don't have much data here. That's what you do on discussion boards. You discuss what's out there on the Internet. I'm glad somebody linked it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.