Thoughts on the overall trajectory of the program?

13,293 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiesrulegigem
Topher17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

disease Isn't why Kennedy won't be approached.
If Kennedy were 100% healthy and we fired him right now he would have D1 job offers almost immediately
D1 is something like 350 schools... Of course someone would take him, but I seriously doubt he would have any major D1 offers regardless of his health. His weaknesses are pretty apparent at this point. Any competent AD could watch film from a few of our games and see that they could probably do better for less money.
PatAg
AG
jja79 said:

How many schools have built power BB programs with an apathetic, non-supportive fan base?
I would say for most schools, the majority of the fan base shows up when winning/attractive basketball shows up. It's not a bad thing, it just is.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
2 star player? #1 JUCO player in the nation?
Philip J Fry
AG
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

I see an average coach that's hit a recruiting wall. As why this wall was hit I don't know. I'm dying for tough basketball to return. I want a team isn't allowed to be lazy. Does the correct stuff.

GE you don't care about these things. The means to an end is all you care about. Not the product during the journey. And you keep thinking Kennedy is better than he is.
I care about the win/loss column and if we have the players to compete for the next coach if the current coach fails. No NCAA tournament next year and no high level post recruit for '19 and it's time to change coaches
Explain the stability-related issues in the offseason between 2007 & 2008. Or 2008 & 2009. Or 2009 & 2010. And how they relate to the stability of the program right now.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

More stable with 10 guys on scholarship? 5 of which haven't played any significant minutes at the division 1 level? Turge was roasted by texags for "leaving the cupboard bare" and having so few guys on scholarship. Yet, all Turge did was make the NCAA tournament EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. How stable can ya get?

What does Turgeon making the NCAA's four years have to do with leaving the cupboard bare? And to clarify, I've never said he left the cupboard bare. I said he left the program with 5-6 good, solid players, but two of those six got hurt and missed a significant portion of the next season....and he didn't leave the program with much depth at all . He left AFTER the spring signing period with only 10 scholarship players.
TXAggie2011
AG
#2, #,3, #4, #,6, #7, and #8 players in minutes played from Turgeon's 2010-2011 NCAA team were on Kennedy's 2011-2012 team.

And that doesn't include Elston Turner. Nor the recruits.

We can argue about the injuries***, but the guy left plenty for the next coach to have early success and get his feet underneath him. That the history now has that 2011-2012 roster down to "5 or 6" good players, it just keeps getting more and more revisionist.

***They're overplayed, too.
TXAggie2011
AG
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

I see an average coach that's hit a recruiting wall. As why this wall was hit I don't know. I'm dying for tough basketball to return. I want a team isn't allowed to be lazy. Does the correct stuff.

GE you don't care about these things. The means to an end is all you care about. Not the product during the journey. And you keep thinking Kennedy is better than he is.
I care about the win/loss column and if we have the players to compete for the next coach if the current coach fails. No NCAA tournament next year and no high level post recruit for '19 and it's time to change coaches
If you truly care about the win/loss column, I'm not sure how you can really say we've been stable at any point under Billy Kennedy. Nor why, if we miss the NCAA tournament next year, that wouldn't be enough on its own to fire Kennedy.
Gap
AG
Why is anyone revisiting the 2010-11 season when we have made the Sweet 16 for 2 of the last 3 years as of today? That is the first time it has ever happened in Texas A&M's basketball history.

It is great that Khris Middleton returned the next year (however, he was injured all year). And we can debate the effectiveness of the guys with the names associated with your minutes played numbers but what does it matter how effective Dash Harris, David Loubeau, and Naji Hibbert were. And whether Turgeon recruits Keith Davis and Jared Johns and Daniel Alexander panned out. 2010-11 was 7 years ago.
_lefraud_
AG
Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

More stable with 10 guys on scholarship? 5 of which haven't played any significant minutes at the division 1 level? Turge was roasted by texags for "leaving the cupboard bare" and having so few guys on scholarship. Yet, all Turge did was make the NCAA tournament EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. How stable can ya get?

What does Turgeon making the NCAA's four years have to do with leaving the cupboard bare? And to clarify, I've never said he left the cupboard bare. I said he left the program with 5-6 good, solid players, but two of those six got hurt and missed a significant portion of the next season....and he didn't leave the program with much depth at all . He left AFTER the spring signing period with only 10 scholarship players.

What was more likely for 2012, for Turgeon to make the tournament or for Turgeon to go 4-14 in league play?
_lefraud_
AG
Gap said:

Why is anyone revisiting the 2010-11 season when we have made the Sweet 16 for 2 of the last 3 years as of today? That is the first time it has ever happened in Texas A&M's basketball history.

It is great that Khris Middleton returned the next year (however, he was injured all year). And we can debate the effectiveness of the guys with the names associated with your minutes played numbers but what does it matter how effective Dash Harris, David Loubeau, and Naji Hibbert were. And whether Turgeon recruits Keith Davis and Jared Johns and Daniel Alexander panned out. 2010-11 was 7 years ago.

You love to look at the history of A&M basketball, but then completely ignore the history of Billy Kennedy. You can't have it both ways. And we are looking at that year because YOU brought up the stability of the program during that time.

How do Nebo, Jasey, and Walker compare to Davis, Alexander and Johns?
GE
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

If you truly care about the win/loss column, I'm not sure how you can really say we've been stable at any point under Billy Kennedy. Nor why, if we miss the NCAA tournament next year, that wouldn't be enough on its own to fire Kennedy.
That wouldn't be enough on it's own because we will have lost a minimum of three starters off a sweet 16 team. The reasonable expectation would be to take a step back next season.

If a coach goes sweet 16, miss tournament, sweet 16, miss tournament, and the next year is looking like another peak season, you would fire that guy?
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

What was more likely for 2012, for Turgeon to make the tournament or for Turgeon to go 4-14 in league play?
What's more likely - I get hit by a train on the way to work or win the lottery?
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Gap said:

You love to look at the history of A&M basketball, but then completely ignore the history of Billy Kennedy. You can't have it both ways. And we are looking at that year because YOU brought up the stability of the program during that time.

How do Nebo, Jasey, and Walker compare to Davis, Alexander and Johns?
Give me three unknowns with potential over those three any day of the week.
Double Diamond
The three you cast away had just as much potential we just have more data now. You are banking just as much on unknowns. Nobody has any clear idea on Jasey and Walker. Both look pretty far away. Nebo is making a major leap.
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

_lefraud_ said:

What's more likely - I get hit by a train on the way to work or win the lottery?

Train is 1.9 billion to 1
Lottery is 175 million to 1

Do you cross train tracks? Do you buy lottery tickets?
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

TXAggie2011 said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

That wouldn't be enough on it's own because we will have lost a minimum of three starters off a sweet 16 team. The reasonable expectation would be to take a step back next season.

If a coach goes sweet 16, miss tournament, sweet 16, miss tournament, and the next year is looking like another peak season, you would fire that guy?

If that coach has a history of "meh' or under achieving results, yes, I absolutely fire that guy.
Double Diamond
My apologies, three star recruit. Again good pick up but hardly a program shifting moment.
Double Diamond
Again majority of the time or four games. Four games people!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Let's see what Gilder and Davis ultimately do, and let's see how 2019 recruiting goes. Those types of things seem much more important to watch over the next few months in terms of how good A&M basketball may be in the near term than anything that happened 6-7 years ago.

Personally, if we missed the NCAA tournament next season, I'd make a change if I had the power. But if he makes the NCAA next season, which would then be 3 NCAA tournaments out of 4 year period, and 2019 recruiting looks decent, then okay then. That seems very acceptable to me. The first 3-4 years of his tenure would be pretty much ancient history at that point. Dude makes 3 NCAA out of 4 seasons at a place like Texas A&M, he's absolutely showing consistently good job performance no matter how you try to view it.
TXAggie2011
AG
GE said:

TXAggie2011 said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

Yes, I would fire BK if we miss the tournament.

But the point is I'm not sure how you can call this stable, say you care about results, and then talk about how it's okay if we keep going from Sweet 16s to no tournament at all.
_lefraud_
AG
Double Diamond said:

My apologies, three star recruit. Again good pick up but hardly a program shifting moment.

Who also redshirted at Baylor...
bobinator
AG
I think everybody is really over-complicating this. Who cares what happened seven years ago?

If god himself came down to you, in secret so nobody had to know it was you that did it, and said you could hit a button and our coaching staff would be switched out for a random staff from another Big 12 or SEC (the teams we play and the teams we recruit against most) school, would you hit the button?

Obviously yes right? Because how many teams in the Big 12 or SEC do you think we currently have a better coach than? Like, at absolute most four or five right?

So, if you agree that, even optimistically, you'd trade our coaching staff (THAT'S GOING INTO ITS EIGHTH SEASON) for 80% of the staffs our biggest competition have, then what are we even arguing about here?
Wearamaskaggie
AG
I can almost assure you he will win us basketball games, he fills exactly what A&M lacks at the moment.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
You know what? Yeah **** him, we're stacked anyways, why even take his commitment. Jesus, some of you people are unbearable, I feel sorry for your perspectives husbands and boyfriends.
GE
AG
bobinator said:

I think everybody is really over-complicating this. Who cares what happened seven years ago?

If god himself came down to you, in secret so nobody had to know it was you that did it, and said you could hit a button and our coaching staff would be switched out for a random staff from another Big 12 or SEC (the teams we play and the teams we recruit against most) school, would you hit the button?

Obviously yes right? Because how many teams in the Big 12 or SEC do you think we currently have a better coach than? Like, at absolute most four or five right?

So, if you agree that, even optimistically, you'd trade our coaching staff (THAT'S GOING INTO ITS EIGHTH SEASON) for 80% of the staffs our biggest competition have, then what are we even arguing about here?
Would not trade BK and staff for: S.Drew, Pearl, Smart, Prohm, F. Martin, that little **** at LSU, Anderson, Howland, C. Martin, Davis, B. Drew.

Would definitely trade for White, Cal, Self, Barnes, Beard, Huggy, or Kruger.

Don't know enough about Dixon, Weber, or the OSU guy.

So no, would not hit the button. But that's just my opinion, much of which is based on who I just don't care for generally.
TXAggie2011
AG
Lets work our way through that list, or at least start with Scott Drew and see how it goes.

What is the argument for Billy Kennedy and staff over Scott Drew and staff?
_lefraud_
AG
Ajm1115 said:

You know what? Yeah **** him, we're stacked anyways, why even take his commitment. Jesus, some of you people are unbearable, I feel sorry for your perspectives husbands and boyfriends.
R-E-L-A-X man. Just making an observation, that a fringe prospect from 3 years ago redshirted at Baylor. I'm glad he chose A&M, but I've learned (especially under this coaching staff) to not put TOO much stock into any one player. Who on Earth thinks A&M is stacked next year with now 10 scholarship players?
_lefraud_
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Lets work our way through that list, or at least start with Scott Drew and see how it goes.

What is the argument for Billy Kennedy and staff over Scott Drew and staff?
Scott Drew - past 11 years has 7 NCAA bids and another 3 NIT. 4 S16s, 2 E8s, an NIT title and NIT runner-up

But since he coaches at Baylor, we don't like him.../texags.

What a joke.
GE
AG
I don't like his rat face
bobinator
AG
You're not sure if you'd trade Kennedy for Dixon? And you definitely wouldn't trade him for S. Drew? Come on man, I like you, but that's ridiculous.
Double Diamond
Scott Drew coaches circles around Kennedy both on court and resume. I can't stand Scott Drew as a person, but I'd take him every time over Kennedy as winning trumps personality.
Double Diamond
Jamie Dixon is a top 15 current coach. Billy Kennedy 50th?
Hop
Staff
AG
pantherag said:

Hop said:

pantherag said:

The current trajectory of the A&M basketball program is like having a hemorrhage. You are eventually going to bleed out and crater. Hopefully the end is soon so we can begin to build a Championship caliber basketball program.
If only you had that same mentality with Slocum and Franchione...

Oh and I did as their time was coming to an end, just like BK's time is coming to an end is clear. If only you weren't such a protectionist of your beloved.

Had you not been part of the machine, you would have known as many of us did that Franchione was a fraud the moment he and his band of minions stepped foot on campus. Any person that would hire and empower Mike McKenzie is incompetent.

My stance on Kennedy is very clear, and you clearly don't know my position by your comments.
_lefraud_
AG
Double Diamond said:

Jamie Dixon is a top 15 current coach. Billy Kennedy 50th?
Yea, Jamie Dixon took over an AWFUL program and won the NIT in his FIRST year. He then took that program to the NCAA tournament in year two as a 6 seed (in a much tougher league mind you).

But, but, but has Jamie Dixon made TWO sweet 16s in the last three years?!? I'll hang up and listen.

What a joke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.