Coach Kennedy is the most successful

8,772 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by t - cam
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No problem with Kennedy's X' and O's. Ok.
PatAg
AG
Double Diamond said:

No problem with Kennedy's X' and O's. Ok.
No one can have a problem with your x's and o's if you dont have them in the first place.

Thinking Emoji
EXCELL
I think Kennedy is more Y's and J's than X's and O's

Alphabetically challenged
J. Walter Weatherman
You're the one trying to say a guy that's gone 2 for 7 at even making the tournament is somehow better than a guy that averaged 24 wins a season (more than all of Kennedy's seasons but 1). Turge had his faults but he would coach circles around Kennedy.
Double Diamond
Turgeon got the Maryland job. And had lots of other offers
BBDP
AG

His plays and sets have impressed me more than MTs did. When things seem to fail, it's often obvious the player (often Starks) did not follow through. Again, I'm not breaking down film on the games but there have been a lot of things that you could tell he drew up and tweaked and it worked. His inbounds plays are a great example. They worked all year.
BBDP
AG
Now lack of follow through by a player is on the coach ... especially at the end of a season.

Discipline, energy and motivation is where I think he lacks.
Double Diamond
The plays and sets? I've never seen an offense as convoluted most of the time as Kennedy's.
BBDP
AG
NM
Topher17
AG
BBDP said:

His plays and sets have impressed me more than MTs did. When things seem to fail, it's often obvious the player (often Starks) did not follow through. Again, I'm not breaking down film on the games but there have been a lot of things that you could tell he drew up and tweaked and it worked. His inbounds plays are a great example. They worked all year.

I find it incredibly hard to believe you watch 90% of our games after this take. Our offensive "sets" are pretty poor most of the time and that is when we even run something discernible.
Double Diamond
Wonderful sets run against Missouri had Tyler Davis standing up above the three point line instead of killing the undersized Tigers in the post.
wacarnolds
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

You're the one trying to say a guy that's gone 2 for 7 at even making the tournament is somehow better than a guy that averaged 24 wins a season (more than all of Kennedy's seasons but 1). Turge had his faults but he would coach circles around Kennedy.

Show me the post where I said Kennedy is a better coach than Turgeon
JMJLAW
AG
Exactly. But we have some real basketball geniuses on here who would swear that the warning signs on bad coaching weren't there in past seasons or even at the very beginning of the season (yeah even during our fluke win streak- attributable largely to opposing teams missing wide open threes). In fact, he has suddenly done an amazing job.
PatAg
AG
BBDP said:

The inbounds under the opponents baskets were all great this year. BUT, where were they any of the previous 6 years? Why would that suddenly be something BK is able to draw up?
PatAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

Method Man said:

Did you make the tourney?
How far did you go?
Honestly, I'm also influenced by how many times it looks like you got worked by a team you should be competitive with and vice versa AND how engaged your team is.

Kennedy has 2 sweet 16s, the most impressive NCAAT win in school history, one of the greatest wins in NCAAT history, and our only conference title since whenever.

Any formula you use that doesn't put him at #2 is crap

EXCELL
Any formula you use that puts him at #2 is crap

FIFY
alamoaggie 64
Used to be that only the conference tournament winner made the tournament. If he had coached during that period, he would be our least successful coach in history.
Method Man
Was looking for that. ...but not too hard
GE
AG
alamoaggie 64 said:

Used to be that only the conference tournament winner made the tournament. If he had coached during that period, he would be our least successful coach in history.
Name the other coaches here who won the conference tournament? Or are you sayin if he coached during that period and they didn't?
BanderaAg956
2 huge sweet 16 blowouts in March, pretty impressive!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Double Diamond
Prisoners of a few games. Blind to the majority. Why are the seasons all so amazingly rough under Kennedy? Like constant turmoil.
Hop
Staff
AG
Aggie87 said:

This year he took a Final Four caliber team to the Sweet 16 and got their asses kicked. After a miracle beatdown of UNC.

Two year ago he took a team to the Sweet 16 and got their asses kicked, after a miracle comeback against Northern Iowa.

Both times it was more players somehow clicking and/or not giving up, rather than any quality coaching. Then coaching got our asses kicked each time.

I clearly don't agree w the OP, but to call the win over UNC as a "miracle beat down" is pretty ridiculous in its own right. A&M controlled every aspect of that game and imposed its will on UNC.
Hop
Staff
AG
alamoaggie 64 said:

Why even go there? You can't compare 1969 to 2018 in terms of anything related to college basketball. In that era, the NIT was just as prestigious a tournament.
Hop
Staff
AG
Your arguments against the OP drip w irony. Had this 2018 team finished 14-4 in the SEC and lost in the opening round as a No. 4 seed, y'all would be calling Kennedy a choker and can't perform on the big stage when it counts....that how you perform in the NCAA is all people remember.

What this thread proves is that both sides of the Kennedy debate will take whatever information is available and will spin it to their position both pro-Kennedy and anti-Kennedy....very similar to what political debate has devolved into in this country.

And even more ironic, there will be a poster who didn't read this close enough and will call me a Kennedy pumper.
GrayMatter
AG
We're all Kennedy pumpers if we don't want him fired.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
bdp514am
An alternate assessment would be that in his last two positions he took over a program at Murray St that had been to the NCAA tourney 3 times in the previous 5 years. During his tenure he guided them there only once. At A&M he took over a program with 6 straight NCAA appearances and didn't return them to the tourney until Kennedy's 5th year.
Method Man
Is it ok to wish our team just played to their potential?
Class of 65
AG
4ZORRO said:

Coach in the History of A&M. In the last 3 years has carried us to the Sweet 16 two times. Has never been done before in the history of A&M. Gig 'em.
Why don't you go look up Shelby Metcalf's Record? Kennedy does not come close.
Hop
Staff
AG
EAD 65 said:

4ZORRO said:

Coach in the History of A&M. In the last 3 years has carried us to the Sweet 16 two times. Has never been done before in the history of A&M. Gig 'em.
Why don't you go look up Shelby Metcalf's Record? Kennedy does not come close.
Be careful what you ask....then again, it was a different era from the 1960's through the 1980's. In 26 years, he had a 2-3 year run in the late 1970's-1980 that was special (and put on probation in that time span), and a lot of NIT teams and 17-18 win seasons. I love Shelby and think he was a great man and a good coach under the circumstances, but you need to dig into the numbers before you say Kennedy or any A&M coach not named Watkins doesn't come close.

In 26.5 years, he went to 4 NCAA Tournaments and won two games. He went to 4 NIT's. 8 of 26 seasons he went to the postseason.
Method Man
Our history is garbage.
bdp514am
Well let's not forget how incredibly difficult making the NCAA tourney was during much of Shelby's career. For 11 of those seasons only 1 school per conference qualified. The tourney didn't expand to 32 teams until 1975. Heck, USC went 24-2 in 1971 and didn't play in the post season because both of those losses were to conference rival UCLA.
_lefraud_
AG
irony?
J. Walter Weatherman
Exactly, much easier to make the tournament now and Kennedy has only done it 28% of the time vs. Shelby's 15%.

Literally the only way Kennedy even comes close to Turgeon is if you somehow ignore his first 4 crappy years.
Steeple
Look, he's a bottom four coach in the SEC on a good day.
Hop
Staff
AG
bdp514am said:

Well let's not forget how incredibly difficult making the NCAA tourney was during much of Shelby's career. For 11 of those seasons only 1 school per conference qualified. The tourney didn't expand to 32 teams until 1975. Heck, USC went 24-2 in 1971 and didn't play in the post season because both of those losses were to conference rival UCLA.

If you would like to use post-1975 data, thst's fine. He went to two NCAA's in 15 years including 1987 when A&M was the 8th seed ( in an 8 team tournament) in a really bad league and win the conference tournament despite a losing record in conference play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.