Here are some comments from the Michigan coach

8,875 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Wearamaskaggie
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Junkhead said:

Binge worthy on pizza roll night in CS....love this movie
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
aginlakeway said:

mengland said:

Look aginlakeway you threaten to turn me in because you didn't like what I had to say. you told me to leave you alone. Now you come crawling back looking for money. Can't have it both ways Be a freakin man. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you go hide under a rock until you get good news.

Wow dude. Lol. I asked you to stop sending me harassing PMs about whether or not I wanted to go double or nothing on our bet whether this team would make the NCAA tournament. You asked me via PM if I still wanted "my man Kennedy" to be our coach. I asked you to stop PMing me because you were harassing me.

When have I ever hid under a rock? I'm not the one who posted over and over again about his much Kennedy and our basketball team sucks. And then you disappear. I have been a consistent texags poster for a decade. I never hide under a rock.

Our bet was that the loser would send 100 bucks to the TMF, not to each other. I could care less about taking your money. And I am not crawling back to you for money. I am not the one owed money. You owe the TMF money. So man up and pay them and let me know when our bet is settled.

Done with you. I expect you to man up and pay the TMF shortly.
SchizoAg
AG
How lolpoor do you have to be, such that your honor and self respect are worth less than $100 to you?
test sig
PJYoung
AG
I can't tell you how SHOCKED I am that mengland isn't paying a bet that he lost.

SHOCKING I tell you!

What a chode.

And yes, I've had him on ignore as well. For a long time.
PunchyFarmer
AG
Sounds like they are planning to Jack up a bunch of 3s.
TXAggie2011
AG
PunchyFarmer said:

Sounds like they are planning to Jack up a bunch of 3s.

They've done it all year and aren't going to change now. Nearly every guy they will put on the floor can step behind the line and hit a 3.
wacarnolds
AG
Thoughts on rebounding
Quote:

Michigan hasn't played with two post players on the floor at the same time with one brief exception. And it doesn't sound like Beilein's too worried about making a switch now.

"They will out-rebound us," Beilein said plainly during his radio show earlier this week. "I think Michigan State just out-rebounded Syracuse (big and still lost). You know how I feel about rebounds. I do not, the only thing I care about with rebounds is I don't want them to get offensive rebounds.

"That's all it is."

This has been Beilein's philosophy throughout his tenure at Michigan. The Wolverines don't crash the offensive glass on their own with multiple players, preferring to get back on defense to limit transition opportunities and set their own defense.
Quote:

"It's not about who had the most (overall) rebounds, it's about who has the most possessions," Beilein adds. "You need possessions to score."

Quote:

By leaving Wagner on the floor with a stretch four like Livers or Duncan Robinson, Michigan's offense is then able to space bigger teams out and force them to guard five players who can pass, drive and shoot.

Beilein would much rather have that in his pocket over the ability to win the rebounding margin.

"If you limit them to one possession, one shot every time, you'll limit them," Beilein said. "I see a difference in the game right now and I don't (know if people understand). They (want) you to send four to the (offensive) boards. People don't do that too much anymore, the NBA doesn't do it much. Everyone's realized defensive transition is more important than offensive rebounding."

"Some still think (the other way). I'm not saying what's right or wrong. But to have good transition defense to get yourself set. If the expense is maybe six on offensive rebounding but you gave up 10 points in transition because you didn't have defensive balance, you lose that analytical game."

Beilein said he still hears the outcries from fans with regard to offensive rebounding. But he's not ready to flinch on this.

"I know what you're all yelling when you see us send one guy at the boards and it's 'why don't you send three,' that's the way I used to coach," Beilein said. "Three go at the boards and some guys just can't rebound. So you waste them. They're just running all the time and not getting rebounds. So now, Duncan Robinson's tired, he can't make a shot because he's trying something he can't do.
"It's OK. Just don't give them second shots."
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/03/21/michigan-texas-am-breakdown/445658002/
wacarnolds
AG
Thoughts on Kennedy

TXAggie2011
AG
Beilein is one of those true student-of-the-game types. Nothing his team is going to do for which he hasn't pulled an all-nighter philosophizing about.
Jbob88
We could actually win a National Championship this year or next year with a coach of Michigan coach's caliber.
gougler08
AG
wacarnolds said:

Thoughts on rebounding
Quote:

Michigan hasn't played with two post players on the floor at the same time with one brief exception. And it doesn't sound like Beilein's too worried about making a switch now.

"They will out-rebound us," Beilein said plainly during his radio show earlier this week. "I think Michigan State just out-rebounded Syracuse (big and still lost). You know how I feel about rebounds. I do not, the only thing I care about with rebounds is I don't want them to get offensive rebounds.

"That's all it is."

This has been Beilein's philosophy throughout his tenure at Michigan. The Wolverines don't crash the offensive glass on their own with multiple players, preferring to get back on defense to limit transition opportunities and set their own defense.
Quote:

"It's not about who had the most (overall) rebounds, it's about who has the most possessions," Beilein adds. "You need possessions to score."

Quote:

By leaving Wagner on the floor with a stretch four like Livers or Duncan Robinson, Michigan's offense is then able to space bigger teams out and force them to guard five players who can pass, drive and shoot.

Beilein would much rather have that in his pocket over the ability to win the rebounding margin.

"If you limit them to one possession, one shot every time, you'll limit them," Beilein said. "I see a difference in the game right now and I don't (know if people understand). They (want) you to send four to the (offensive) boards. People don't do that too much anymore, the NBA doesn't do it much. Everyone's realized defensive transition is more important than offensive rebounding."

"Some still think (the other way). I'm not saying what's right or wrong. But to have good transition defense to get yourself set. If the expense is maybe six on offensive rebounding but you gave up 10 points in transition because you didn't have defensive balance, you lose that analytical game."

Beilein said he still hears the outcries from fans with regard to offensive rebounding. But he's not ready to flinch on this.

"I know what you're all yelling when you see us send one guy at the boards and it's 'why don't you send three,' that's the way I used to coach," Beilein said. "Three go at the boards and some guys just can't rebound. So you waste them. They're just running all the time and not getting rebounds. So now, Duncan Robinson's tired, he can't make a shot because he's trying something he can't do.
"It's OK. Just don't give them second shots."
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/03/21/michigan-texas-am-breakdown/445658002/

It's interesting that he mentions limiting offensive rebounds, but doesn't really say how that works if he is going with a small stretch 4. We should be able to crash the glass pretty well I'd think, but then can our 4/5 actually guard them out on the perimeter. Should be very interesting to watch
Aston04
AG
Limiting offensive glass goes back to fundamentals he teaches of boxing out, etc. Also, make the other team pay that does crash the glass through transition.
PatAg
AG
I think whats impressive about our offensive rebounding, is we do it without crashing the glass. It's usually just tyler or williams, sometimes both of them. At least, that's my impression.
TyHolden
AG
Lob ball. Slam it down your throat.

Very simple. Stop it.

Like bama football...
hfhmilkman
Hi as a Michigan fan this is my opinion on how to beat Michigan. It is nothing the A&M coaching staff does not know already. The preseason prediction for this team was it would be a stretch to make the tournament. The reason is this Michigan team does not have the stable of great shooters compared to teams of the past. What was not expected was for this team to play such great defense. This is despite not having great individual defenders at the 4 and 5 position. I call Duncan Robinson the starter because he gets the most minutes. For some reason Michigan is a surprisingly good defensive rebounding team. They have gone up against MSU and Purdue and done okay. They also put a premium on transition D. A lot of this is also based on what they do when they are forced into a bad shot. They make sure that when they miss it does not turn into an easy 2. Combined with not turning the ball over they try to out possess you. So they are going to try to money ball you to death.

The key is to be smart and do not waste possessions with silly shots and TO's. This plays into Michigan's money ball play. The next thing to do is turn the game into ISO. UM does not have a go to guy. A few times people have stepped up. But there is no big usage like Gray of Houston that will just carry the team and can fabricate a shot out of nowhere over and over.

This is not a great shooting team. Despite getting good looks against Montana and Houston UM just did not shoot well from deep. I would test it again and if you can't shoot you can't shoot. Only Duncan Robinson should not be tempted. If he is open he will nail the shot. Everyone else is streaky. If they are hot then respect it.

UM is a terrible FT shooting team. The reason is that the two best slashers Simpson and Mathews are sub 60% FT shooters and often get mental blocks. If they drive to the basket, hack them as 2 missed FT's equal a TO.

Lastly the closest thing UM has to a go to guy Wagner is mercurial. If bad things happen to him in the first 2 minutes, he will have a bad half. Beilein takes him out after one foul because he is guaranteed to get 2. If he hits an early trey he can get excited and going.

In summary if UM shoots the trey like they did against Houston and A&M shoots the trey verse NC it is no contest. UM just is really limited in the half court offense if their iffy shooters are not getting any drops. They have hung through some ridiculous scoring droughts by playing great team defense. But it seems like A&M is playing their best ball now. UM will get good trey looks because that is how the offense is built. They attack the basic when the other team overplays. But in order for that to happen the trey has to honored and the team has to sell out. If A&M bigs are not forced into a switch or do not have to hedge high over the screen, they can protect the paint and what happened against Houston will happen again. Except A&M has a few more options instead of Gray hero ball.
Texas 1836
AG
mengland said:

Look aginlakeway you threaten to turn me in because you didn't like what I had to say. you told me to leave you alone. Now you come crawling back looking for money. Can't have it both ways Be a freakin man. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you go hide under a rock until you get good news.
Moose, Rocco ... help the deadbeat find his checkbook!

BattlinB
AG
Wow what a great summary of Michigan hfhmilkman , Thanks!
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Thank you for your assessment, it is truly appreciated over here!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.