***** 2018 Coaching Carousel *****

5,805 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mdanyc03 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Right, so maybe schools should add in the contract:

If in any given season, a coach fails to win at least %25 of its conference games, than that could "cause" for termination and a lower buyout of the remaining contract (if any) will be in the amount of $1 million dollars.

That would be going 4-14 or worse. Seems pretty reasonable, and still not scare off any other potential coaches.
I don't know that it would "scare off" coaches, but if somebody else offered a comparable contract without that clause then any coach would with a choice would take the contract without that clause. So to offset you would have to offer more per year. It is all fungible.

People like guaranteed contracts. In a competitive market you have to offer people what they like.

Yea. We had this conversation during the end of Sumlin's tenure too. The cash in the market from the network comtracts is such that SOMEBODY is going to pay. And if it's your rival, you will pay too.

Richard Sherman, the best cornerback of the last 5+ years just signed an incentive laden contract and got ROASTED for it. Why? Guaranteed contracts are out there and are better. Incentive contracts will not be out there any time soon.
Bunk Moreland
mikesyracuse1
Matta just declined the Georgia job offer

Mikesyracuse1
LawHall88
AG
CapCityAg89
AG
UConn or Pitt.
mikesyracuse1
Tubby has been fired at Memphis. Making way for an AAU all star team and Penny Hardaway

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Tubby has been fired at Memphis. Making way for an AAU all star team and Penny Hardaway

Mikesyracuse1

I mean, isn't every good college team an AAU All Star Team?
mikesyracuse1
bobinator said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1

I mean, isn't every good college team an AAU All Star Team?

No doubt about that!. If he's smart he will hire s good X/O guy and a college administrator to be on his staff.
WildcatAg
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
I don't know that he was ever a good fit to begin with there but it is a shame that he was let go after just two years.
superunknown
AG
If you're Georgia do you even float the idea that you coulf bring Tubby back?
mikesyracuse1
Tom Crean met with the Pittsburgh AD last night. There's going to be a lot of changes in the next two weeks.

Mikesyracuse1
superunknown
AG
Woj bomb, college style

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
I wonder what the story is here.

hoya-ag
AG
The Scott Cross firing is shocking unless there is something unknown that has happened.
Thunder Ag
Where's BK on that website???
mikesyracuse1
Lots of big changes coming today. Looks like Mack to Louisville and Capel to Pittsburgh.

If Thad Matta actually wants to coach again, going back to Xavier would be a good move.

Mikesyracuse1
Iowaggie
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Lots of big changes coming today. Looks like Mack to Louisville and Capel to Pittsburgh.

If Thad Matta actually wants to coach again, going back to Xavier would be a good move.

Mikesyracuse1

You knew it was just a Matta of time that he would be back on the sidelines.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Gotta love this Enfield guy...all that FBI fallout this year swirling around his USC program...so now instead of dropping bags, he figured out better to just go this route to stay out of trouble.

Bunk Moreland
we can't really throw stones from our glass house on that topic.
Jumbo Fister
AG
Enfield is the perfect example of how not to make a coaching hire
wacarnolds
AG
Desk said:

Yeah, everyone should definitely be avoiding young coaches who play an exciting brand of basketball
mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead said:

Gotta love this Enfield guy...all that FBI fallout this year swirling around his USC program...so now instead of dropping bags, he figured out better to just go this route to stay out of trouble.

This practice has been going on for years and every year.

Mikesyracuse1
Jumbo Fister
AG
wacarnolds said:

Desk said:

Yeah, everyone should definitely be avoiding young coaches who play an exciting brand of basketball

Based off literally one cinderella run? One month out of two years of being a head coach? Not enough experience to jump to a program like USC. I think we tend to overinflate the value of a single elimination tournament.

that FGCU run was exciting as hell though.
Bunk Moreland
He hasn't been a complete waste...especially considering they were coming off the major sanctions from Bland/Mayo/Floyd, 2 straight tanked years due to them, then Enfield comes in

11-21
12-20
21-13 NCAA Rd1
26-10 NCAA Rd2
24-12 NIT / snub?

So far hasn't been the grand slam, but not a fall on your face hire either.
wacarnolds
AG
Desk said:

wacarnolds said:

Desk said:

Based off literally one cinderella run? One month out of two years of being a head coach? Not enough experience to jump to a program like USC. I think we tend to overinflate the value of a single elimination tournament.

he had prior experience as an assistant in college and the NBA. and he has been ok at USC, although this year was a disappointment.

but maybe i'm missing something
Jumbo Fister
AG
yeah I agree, he's obviously not garbage, but I just don't like hiring coaches primarily based off of one hot month where literally anything can happen. Just way too risky. Mike White, for example, never made the tourney at LA Tech but was pretty unanimously considered a great hire. Sure, it generates excitement, but way too many factors involved, especially with the jump to an extremely scrutinized program.

Even if he ends up being a long term solution at SC, i was speaking more generally for other programs
Double Diamond
Lol you can't always get guys with amazing resumes. Sometimes you've got to take a chance. My guess USC will cut bait of this keeps going like that. Won't be any lifetime contracts handed out.
_lefraud_
AG
He was hired because of his wife. If he could land her, than he should have no problems landing blue chips.

Usc isn't exactly a top tier job anyhow.
LawHall88
AG
Desk said:

wacarnolds said:

Desk said:

Stan Heath and John Groce are two examples that leap to mind, turning one big mid-major tourney run into Power 5 jobs (Arkansas and Illinois), where they underachieved.

Some might argue Shaka Smart could fall in to that category, but he sustained VCU as an NCAA tourney team 4 years past the Final 4 run before moving to Texas, so at least there is a track record there.
Double Diamond
Andy was pretty well thought off. Respected shooting guy.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Mikesyracuse1
Oh, I know. I just found an extra hint of irony that he replaced an assistant coach (Tony Bland) who got arrested for funneling money to player families and taking bribes from sports agent with this type of assistant coach hire.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Mikesyracuse1
Oh, I know. I just found an extra hint of irony that he replaced an assistant coach (Tony Bland) who got arrested for funneling money to player families and taking bribes from sports agent with this type of assistant coach hire.

NCAA Athletics: Where You Pay Everyone But the Actual Labor Force
Bunk Moreland
I agree about hiring and said as much on a different thread last week. I'd look for consistency year over year before a hot run.
mikesyracuse1
Travis Steele is the new head coach at Xavier.

Mikesyracuse1
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.