***** 2018 Coaching Carousel *****

5,781 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not shocked at the first one to hit the wire

Ervin Burrell
AG
0-19 is pretty damned impressive. Outdid Watkins by two games.
CapCityAg89
AG
Guy did well at Vandy. I guess at least BCG won some games at UK. I wonder at the back story.
bobinator
AG
Andy Kennedy got got midseason...
Bunk Moreland
bobinator said:

Good point. After their loss last night, Kennedy is officially done
LawHall88
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Not shocked at the first one to hit the wire

So this is gonna be fun...

Pitt trying to create an excuse to get out of the $9.4 million buyout.

_lefraud_
AG
When are schools going to stop with these dumb ass contracts? Unless your a top 10 caliber coach, there's no reason for these schools to put themselves in this situation. How does Kevin Stallings demand that kind of buyout?!
JJxvi
AG
Stallings buyout is so high because he has 4 years left. Thats what happens when you hire away a $2M+ coach (what Stallings was making at Vandy) and have to fire him in year 2.
_lefraud_
AG
JJxvi said:

Stallings buyout is so high because he has 4 years left. Thats what happens when you hire away a $2M+ coach (what Stallings was making at Vandy) and have to fire him in year 2.

Right, I guess what I mean is, why can't "cause" in the contract include results on the floor? Like, if you just sick, like Pitt did, why can't that be "cause" for firings?

I know the fear is what kind of coach will you attract if a contract is written as such, but at the very least, couldn't you say in the contract will be significantly less if you have crappy results.

I'm just tired of seeing coaches with all this leverage, again, only about 10 or so coaches should really demand such lucrative coaches, that leave the schools with practically zero leverage.
LawHall88
AG
_lefraud_ said:

JJxvi said:

Right, I guess what I mean is, why can't "cause" in the contract include results on the floor? Like, if you just sick, like Pitt did, why can't that be "cause" for firings?

I know the fear is what kind of coach will you attract if a contract is written as such, but at the very least, couldn't you say in the contract will be significantly less if you have crappy results.

I'm just tired of seeing coaches with all this leverage, again, only about 10 or so coaches should really demand such lucrative coaches, that leave the schools with practically zero leverage.
"Cause" is whatever the contract defines it to be, but it always ends up to be conduct-related rather than performance-related. I suppose you could argue that if cause is both cheating and losing, there really isn't any incentive not to cheat.
_lefraud_
AG
Right, so maybe schools should add in the contract:

If in any given season, a coach fails to win at least %25 of its conference games, than that could "cause" for termination and a lower buyout of the remaining contract (if any) will be in the amount of $1 million dollars.

That would be going 4-14 or worse. Seems pretty reasonable, and still not scare off any other potential coaches.
LawHall88
AG
_lefraud_ said:

If in any given season, a coach fails to win at least %25 of its conference games, than that could "cause" for termination and a lower buyout of the remaining contract (if any) will be in the amount of $1 million dollars.

That would be going 4-14 or worse. Seems pretty reasonable, and still not scare off any other potential coaches.
That would be fine, but no school will do it because of "appearances."
John Pugliese
If you're interested in staying updated, lots of news on here and rumors in the coaching profession:

HoopDirt 2018 Coaching Changes Tracker

Great follow on twitter: @coachingchanges https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges although it can be a bit distasteful
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
LawHall88
AG
John Pugliese said:

If you're interested in staying updated, lots of news on here and rumors in the coaching profession:

HoopDirt 2018 Coaching Changes Tracker

Great follow on twitter: @coachingchanges https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges although it can be a bit distasteful
That;s a good site.

Interesting that Steve Forbes interviewed at UTEP. I thought he might aim higher.

https://hoopdirt.com/utep-search-update/
John Pugliese
first site most coaches check in the morning...
1. you're on it an mentioned for a new job
2. you're on it and mentioned because you're losing your job
can change the whole days outlook
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
EXCELL
For cause for off the cuff comments will never fly.
Pitt's going to end up losing in court or settling early for nearly the full buyout amount
_lefraud_
AG
It might be tough for him to aim higher from being attached to Pearl. CUSA is WAY better than his current conference, and UTEP is still potentially a really good job for a mid-major. Coaches go to P5 from UTEP, coaches don't go P5 from ETSU.
basic8
bobinator said:

24 D1 spots open as of today. Bob Marlin will be contacted by many that consider themselves better programs than La. Laffayette
John Pugliese
_lefraud_ said:

It might be tough for him to aim higher from being attached to Pearl. CUSA is WAY better than his current conference, and UTEP is still potentially a really good job for a mid-major. Coaches go to P5 from UTEP, coaches don't go P5 from ETSU.
That is a leap but it isn't unheard of, especially because he has HM experience at multiple places as an assistant and was also a high level juco head coach.

Brad Underwood from Stephen F (Southland) to Oklahoma State
Chris Beard from Arkansas Little Rock (Sun Belt) to UNLV/Texas Tech
Danny Hurley from Buffalo (MAC) to Arizona State
Brad Brownell from UNCW (CAA) to Clemson
Kevin Keats from UNCW (CAA) to NC State
Steve Pikiell from Stony Brook (America East) to Rutgers
Pat Chambers from Boston (Patriot League) to Penn State

He might love the UTEP opportunity or leverage the UTEP job for something bigger. Don't discount Joe Dooley in this situation, would also be a great fit at UTEP.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, I didn't say it was uncommon for a mid-major to go to a P5...
superunknown
AG
Kevin Ollie out at UConn
mikesyracuse1
Fox at Georgia is next.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
And there it is.
LawHall88
AG
I don't believe it for a second, but...

bobinator
AG
No. Way.
LawHall88
AG
How about this one? The coaching carousel is fun.

bobinator
AG
Sure.
LawHall88
AG
superunknown
AG
Good to see Thad Matta getting back into the game. Those couple years away seemed to help his back issues.

He knows what it's like to coach somewhere football is the clear #1. That's a good quality to have. If only i could think of a school where that quality would be useful. Besides Georgia, of course.
Con Spirito
Matta is a midwest guy through-and-through, coaching at Xavier and Butler before going to OSU. Hard to see Pittsburgh not being interested. Lord knows the Panthers need all the help they can get.
superunknown
AG
Think he's a great fit at Pitt. He's already talked to Ole Miss.
Bunk Moreland
Rothstein reporting Georgia has officially offered Matta. decision to be made in next 24 hours.
bobinator
AG
I can't believe Thad Matta is only 50, he's younger than Avery Johnson.
JJxvi
AG
Seems like Memphis is going to try it out with Penny Hardaway.
mdanyc03
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I don't know that it would "scare off" coaches, but if somebody else offered a comparable contract without that clause then any coach would with a choice would take the contract without that clause. So to offset you would have to offer more per year. It is all fungible.

People like guaranteed contracts. In a competitive market you have to offer people what they like.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.