College Basketball is no longer

3,649 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HoustonAg2106
2nd Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A sport in the true definition . When two teams play now it's not equal. Some are playing by the rules some aren't. Arizona paid for Ayton and they beat us. Go ahead and let teams pay for kids up front.if we want to pay Player x toco e to A&M do it up front.
EO718
Method Man
Are we pretending people haven't cheated since the dawn of time?
2nd Generation Ag
You just made my point. Let's bring it all above the table. If we want a player and want to pay him 100k let's do it above the table. Minor league basketball
EO718
Method Man
1. No one GAF About the minor leagues.
2. They'll still cheat.
Double Diamond
Always been this way. I doubt any school getting a top ten recruit is on the up and up. And I doubt a lot of the time a top 25/30 is not on the up and up. It's always this way. Football as well.
Double Diamond
My personal feeling is let kids use the free market. Get what you can get. Someone wants autographs etc.
Bellard
AG
Will this show politics and preferential treatment of NCAA? Towards Duke? nC? Texas?
Double Diamond
Hate to pull the curtain back but again recruits aren't free in football. Can't say in every situation what's going on. Remember this as you watch top recruiting classes come in. It means everyone.
TheMarksMen
AG
No more one and done rule it's whats created this
Double Diamond
Louisville basketball is pretty big. They got hit. So yes big schools do get hit. I just wonder if the NCAA will wipe out a bunch. And as long as you keep this black market open, no rule stops it.
Double Diamond
What Sampson got fired for Is no longer illegal. The NCAA came to realize they couldn't control text messages, so they made it legal. This is how you end the madness. Allow a kid to have agent as soon as they think they need one. People are allowed this as soon as they want in every other aspect.
BQ_90
AG
So schools are going to start buying kids in middle school? There is a reason why the shoe companies buy these kid at that age, they can afford it. Colleges can't maintain a kid on payroll for five years bfore he gets to campus
Double Diamond
Nobody is saying buy a kid. Let the kid use his likeness to make money. When you try to have amateurism in billion dollar business you have cheating. Why can't a super star recruit start the process have working with an agent?
2nd Generation Ag
Why do people freak out when we say let's make it above board. It's happening any way. Let's stop the hypocrisy. Or each team has a salary cap. Just like the NFL
EO718
Double Diamond
I'm with you. I'm tired of watching games get wiped out. Coaches ruined. I'm a sports fan first. Bring things out of the shadows.
Bellard
AG
End of college sports when start paying them.
DeangeloVickers
AG
This agency was paying players at Seton Hall

It's everywhere and going on at every major school...it's essentially the process

#1) a head coach making calls is REALLY dumb..that's what assistants are for
#2) For the NCAA, March Madness is its most profitable business, earning roughly $900 million in revenue, most of which comes from the broadcast rights paid by CBS (CBS), parent of CBSNews.com, and Time Warner (TWX). The media companies signed a 14-year, $10.8 billon deal in 2006.Mar 20, 2015
Buford T. Justice
AG
1. Eliminate the shoe and apparel contracts.
2. Eliminate tv rights deals. (All of them.)
3. Eliminate the opt-out option for "student-athletes."
A. Either go to college and play varsity sports, or
B. Go play professional sports, or
C. Go to juco

That will get everything on the table, and truly get everything back to how it was intended. But..., at that point, who would really be interested in watching?

"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Me, but I probably wouldn't have much company.
Wicked Good Ag
Is college basketball no longer a sport because we don't play defense??
I thought in another thread that was a criteria
Lance Uppercut
AG
Things are the way they are because people like it this way.

I don't think many people are left that think recruits aren't being paid in football and basketball. None of what's coming out is surprising to me.

But most people like the illusion of amateur athletics....athletes picking schools based on history, tradition, education etc.

So people will continue giving unsanctioned benefits to recruits, the NCAA will hand down the occasional slap on the wrist when someone steps too far over the line, and we'll probably continue on the same path college sports has been on for decades.
Double Diamond
It's ajready over. They are being paid.
Double Diamond
Yea that's not gonna happen. Too much money.
Toptierag2018
It's just the way it's been. Auburn bought a national title in football when they bought Cam Newton for $250k. You either live with it or join them.
Double Diamond
The NCAA refuses to address it. Keeps holding the firm line. Why? Because they want all the money. And dance around the elephant in the room. It would be nice if we could have a realistic conversation.
Double Diamond
If your pulling in top 20 or so football classes you have bought players. Top ten or so bought in basketball. Not every player. But many. Don't fool yourself it's happening. Even here.
Method Man
If you start giving a base "salary", the players will negotiate for more with lawyers, then they'll have agents and it'll be the pros or minors. I don't want to watch true minor league pro sports at A&M. I want to watch aggies and root for fellow Aggies.
Double Diamond
No you just let the market work. Sign autographs do adds for a local company. It's the Olympic model.
Houstonag
AG
Behavior like this, poor administration, selfish players, bad leadership by the NCAA, etc. make me want to just quit watching college sports. I already gave up on the pros.

I am still waiting for the NCAA to lower the hammer on North Carolina.
Ags2013
AG
Double Diamond said:

No you just let the market work. Sign autographs do adds for a local company. It's the Olympic model.

Bingo
Method Man
Double Diamond said:

I'm ok with that, bud you gotta know Bama will pay a kid $20000 for one autograph or something like that.
Double Diamond
Fine. They already are. It's the free market. Bama ain't getting top classes for free. I'd just rather see what's going on. And not worry about programs I like going down.
2nd Generation Ag
Method Man when Arizona takes the court today everyone knows they paid Ayton. Now is that fair to their opponent? That's not sports . Sports is competition between two opponents based on a set of rules that applies to both. If not it's just entertainment
EO718
Double Diamond
So because we know Arizona paid for Ayton that makes it worse than not knowing? I mean I'm not shocked that a top recruit as bought. This didn't change because now I know. And I doubt Ayton plays today. But will see.
basic8
mengland said:

You just made my point. Let's bring it all above the table. If we want a player and want to pay him 100k let's do it above the table. Minor league basketball
Minor League baseball is a real professional sport. Paying a player in college is not. Some don't want a difference. A form of minor league basketball is coming. Players won't want to play in front of 200 people and ride buses though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.