Does Woodward get a "Jimbo Fisher" of basketball?

6,952 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAggie2011
basic8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
theloneranger said:

So what do yall think about bringing Kyle Keller back? He was at A&M and has done a good job in his short tenure at SFA. He obviously understands what A&M is about and has Texas ties. Not to mention he comes from the Bill Self and Eddie Sutton coaching tree.
What is "understanding what A&M is about"? Often wondered that in basketball coach possibilities. Does that limit the pool or strengthen it?
BQ_90
AG
bobinator said:

I'd be good without ever hearing the phrase "money whip" ever again.
So,what about using cash snap
agent209
AG
Dan Hurley on a seven year $21 million dollar contract. Have to pay to play.

Izzo and Donovan are pipe dreams. Little Pitino wouldn't be terrible and neither would Eric Konkol. I want Hurley's passion and pedigree at A&M.
bobinator
AG
Little Pitino? Please...
basic8
bobinator said:

I'd be good without ever hearing the phrase "money whip" ever again.
No sht, absolutely.
Aggiewife64
I have wanted coach Blair to coach the boys for three years now
EXCELL
Aggiewife64 said:

Blair to coach the boys
Sexist rhetoric ...
Double Diamond
Dan Hurley has already said he wants a final four type job. ASU did get his brother. So who knows. But you think Turgeon complained. Hire Dan Hurley.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Double Diamond said:

Dan Hurley has already said he wants a final four type job. ASU did get his brother. So who knows. But you think Turgeon complained. Hire Dan Hurley.

Well, the pumpers all told us this A&M team had Final Four talent....
Method Man
Right. Should prob hire Shaeffer to be sure.
Sandman23
AG
Aggiewife64 said:

No thank you.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
Double Diamond
A&M needs a hard nosed coach who demandeds and gets maximum effort. Who can land a bigger recruit, but doesn't have to have them. The fan base clearly gets into tough defense and effort.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggiewife64 said:

Not sure if serious, but if so that is a terrible idea. We would be the laughing stock of college basketball
Aston04
AG
basic8 said:

theloneranger said:

So what do yall think about bringing Kyle Keller back? He was at A&M and has done a good job in his short tenure at SFA. He obviously understands what A&M is about and has Texas ties. Not to mention he comes from the Bill Self and Eddie Sutton coaching tree.
What is "understanding what A&M is about"? Often wondered that in basketball coach possibilities. Does that limit the pool or strengthen it?
If you watch the original BK press conference---- BB actually cites BK's previous time (one year) at A&M as an assistant as a (notable) positive.

What he did not mention is that team (1990-1991) went 8-21 and 2-14 in the SWC.

So dumb. So dumb. Some (including 3 ADs now) fell hook line and sinker for the spin job put on this hire for so long.
JJxvi
AG
So you're telling me that Billy Kennedy's introductory press conference was "Fake News!" that spun everything only in a positive light for him and Texas A&M and did not mention anything which might be considered negative?

Fascinating. I wonder how many other press conferences misinform us for PR purposes?
Aston04
AG
JJxvi said:

So you're telling me that Billy Kennedy's introductory press conference was "Fake News!" that spun everything only in a positive light for him and Texas A&M and did not mention anything which might be considered negative?

Fascinating. I wonder how many other press conferences misinform us for PR purposes?
My point is it appears BB didn't do properly his research on this hire (realized it was rushed). Otherwise, if I was AD and I hired this guy, I would not even reference the time someone coached at my school previously (when it was just for a year and they sucked horribly). I understand a press conference is a positive spin--- but BK's time here before can only be looked as a negative by someone halfway informed

I can just see BB getting excited about BK's "getting A&M" with the sales pitch from BK about him being before and what not. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
JJxvi
AG
Aston04 said:

JJxvi said:

My point is it appears BB didn't do properly his research on this hire (realized it was rushed). Otherwise, if I was AD and I hired this guy, I would not even reference the time someone coached at my school previously (when it was just for a year and they sucked horribly). I understand a press conference is a positive spin--- but BK's time here before can only be looked as a negative by someone halfway informed

I can just see BB getting excited about BK's "getting A&M" with the sales pitch from BK about him being before and what not. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
You have to look at it in context of the time. There is always a specific purpose. The reason the fact that he had been here before was in there was to specifically contrast him with Turgeon (and to a lesser extent with Gillispie). It framed him in a manner more like a Mike Sherman, someone who had been here before and wanted to be back here because he loved it, unlike the mercenary Turgeon and Gillispie, etc. In no way was someone meant to take any kind of implication that he was back because he did such an excellent job when he was a 25 year old assistant coach here, or whatever he was.
basic8
I think it's an AD's responsibility to hire head coaches who others want, and who will be pursued later, and his/her job to know how to keep them if successful with the first two.

It's just part of the deal to know your good hires will be pursued. "Getting" a school is not enough; nor is being there a year or 2. It's just fluff. Hiring someone hoping they won't keep you on your toes by possibly considering other options if successful is hoping for mediocrity.
Aston04
AG
And which goes with my larger point the hiring was completely misguided. Should have stuck with the strategy that worked the previous two times. Go get the best hired gun you can. Likely he will be more ambitious than staying here, if he is driven to be the best (which you want).

Then the AD's job is to try to keep the ambitious coach here, as warranted--- like say Wichita State has been able to do with Marshall (with plenty of mega donor and fan support at WSU helps of course). If he leaves, at least he probably had a good record and move on to the next up and comer.
JJxvi
AG
I agree. But that's par for the course for human decision making. Byrne hired two excellent coaches who left, its human nature to think that not only can you do it again, but also add in a subtle criteria that "the next coach should want to stay here too." It's basically trying to outdo yourself.

Reactionary decision making is also rampant in college athletic departments as a whole. You very often see a hired coach be the complete opposite of the fired coach he is replacing (whether that be old vs young, or offense vs defense, or recruiting vs scheme, or local focus vs national focus) because these kind of largely tradeoff and non-predictive factors are the kinds of things people love to think are important. Of course, the reality is that when you decide to hire an offensive scheme coach, because the defensive recruiting focused coach sucked and you had to fire him, you are doing more to eliminate potential good candidates that you arent even going to consider now, rather than actually narrowing on meaningful factors. But people do it all the time.

As for Byrne, the Kennedy hire was extremely difficult in other ways, and some of the others he was rumored to be looking did not resemble Kennedy at all, so its hard to say that it was THE factor. I think it was A factor that made Kennedy more palatable.
basic8
Once the small pool was narrowed, I think a factor was Cyp coming to the interview. There's always a fear of not having the "right" recruiting area ties.
Tom Hagen
AG
Rick Pitino is available.
jnocar
Home run hire

Kevin Reynolds, who enters his 10th year at The Rock in 2017-18, has compiled an impressive overall record of 167-100 (.643) in the previous nine seasons. Despite being at The Rock for a relatively short amount of time, Reynolds is already the second winningest coach in program history.
DogCompany74
AG
I remember a piece after Turgeon left claiming that his refusal to "play the Texas AAU game" led to his sagging recruiting . Was Cyp supposed to be the " liaison" to the Texas AAU world for Kennedy? What exactly did " playing the game " mean ? Was Cyp ineffective and removed because Stansbury could do better ?
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Aston04
AG
I think a scapegoat was needed to buy BK another year and they saw an opportunity to upgrade.
fightinag
We really really missed out on getting Avery Johnson !
EXCELL
HoustonAg2106 said:

Aggiewife64 said:

Not sure if serious, but if so that is a terrible idea. We would be the laughing stock of college basketball

It's a terrible idea. The games are so VERY different in so MANY ways.

But, we are already the laughing stock of college basketball. Nobody has squandered talent the way we have under BK, and particularly this season.
TXAggie2011
AG
That the games have some differences in approach doesn't mean Blair couldn't be good...but he's in his twilight years and he's not quite what he once.
BMX Bandit
Sean Miller may be looking for work soon. Sign him up!
Aston04
AG
Would be an obvious hell yes if he wasnt an idiot cheater too...
AgsinGA
AG
AG 2000' said:

EXCELL said:

Quote:

Yeah, break out the pitch forks.
Might as well get an early start 'cause BK ain't going anywhere.

Then donations and season ticket sales will collapse for next year and Woodward will have to answer for more red ink on the balance sheet around hoops.

But I disagree with the notion he's safe given we're heading for the finish we are.
Said by the poster without a 12th man notation. Brilliant!
AggieDad74
Tom Hagen said:

Rick Pitino is available.

...with prostitutes in tow!
EXCELL
Quote:

Said by the poster without a 12th man notation. Brilliant!

Yep. No doubt about it ... the 12th Man icon makes you smart, insightful, wise and knowledgeable.

Plus you have ZERO idea who has given what, when or how. Only the dumbest of the dumb try to use the TMF or AgTag icons as a measure for anything meaningful with regards to content

This is classic TexAgs.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
fightinag said:

We really really missed out on getting Avery Johnson !

What part of his 1st 3 years at Alabama makes you say that. He is recruiting well this year but it has not shown on the court yet. Without Sexton there were bad and they wont have him next year. How many years does he get to turn it around before he gets knocked off the Texags coaching god pedestal??
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

This.

The basketball program doesn't need a "Jimbo Fisher" hire, it needs a "Billy Gillispie" hire, and Keller seems to fit the bill. We wouldn't have to break the bank with the hire and we can give Keller a raise once he proves he deserves one based on results. Given his personal background and college basketball resume, I think he would be a great fit should the job open up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.