Scott Woodward

6,060 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TMF
expresswrittenconsent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

I think you're reading into my comparison wrong. I definitely wasn't saying we should have given Kennedy the extension, in fact, quite the opposite. I mean that, for any school, you have to make the determination of what the future of your program is before you get into the tournament. Otherwise a couple of games can cloud several years of data.

The thing about the Kennedy extension is that a lot of us thought it was insane the day it happened. And things were even going well then.

That was a fun trip down memory lane.
wacarnolds
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

bobinator said:

I think you're reading into my comparison wrong. I definitely wasn't saying we should have given Kennedy the extension, in fact, quite the opposite. I mean that, for any school, you have to make the determination of what the future of your program is before you get into the tournament. Otherwise a couple of games can cloud several years of data.

The thing about the Kennedy extension is that a lot of us thought it was insane the day it happened. And things were even going well then.

Here's the thread where Kennedy's ridiculous buyout was first revealed.

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/2821274/1

GE needs a win saturday or he'll have a new occupation in the next 8 weeks
bobinator
AG
wacarnolds said:

Haha, great find
mhayden
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Good grief, I even forgot about his own buyout... Not only is he getting paid far more than his resume says he deserves, and not only does it cost A&M far too much to buyout a coach that no one else wants/wanted... But the cherry on the sundae is that Kennedy can buyout of his contract for $1-$1.5m -- meaning that IF he somehow did become in demand that any school that really wanted him could ultimately just buy him out.

This really is deserving of more questions from the media. That contract is a farce from every conceivable angle. We pay through the nose, we have zero protection, and we can't rid ourselves of it easy. Absolutely ridiculous.
BQ_90
AG
txag72 said:

Usually, its bad practice to come into a new job and immediately try to make major changes in the culture. I give Woodward a pass on signing off on a contract that early in his rein. Plus I just think we're far enpugh into being a university with 50000 students vs. 12000 when I enrolled.
I'm sorry, I can't give Woodward a pass on the contract. He was hired to be the AD, anybody could see that contract was horrible and completely unnecessary on our part.

It's not like he had to either fire BK or give this specific contract extension. An extension and raise could have been done but with far better terms for A&M.

edit: FTR-I think Woodward can be criticized for this contract and that not mean he should be fired. Some have tended to lump them together. I don't think Woodward should be fired.
basic8
free_mhayden said:

wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Good grief, I even forgot about his own buyout... Not only is he getting paid far more than his resume says he deserves, and not only does it cost A&M far too much to buyout a coach that no one else wants/wanted... But the cherry on the sundae is that Kennedy can buyout of his contract for $1-$1.5m -- meaning that IF he somehow did become in demand that any school that really wanted him could ultimately just buy him out.

This really is deserving of more questions from the media. That contract is a farce from every conceivable angle. We pay through the nose, we have zero protection, and we can't rid ourselves of it easy. Absolutely ridiculous.
Is this a great country or what?!
bobinator
AG
BQ_90 said:

edit: FTR-I think Woodward can be criticized for this contract and that not mean he should be fired. Some have tended to lump them together. I don't think Woodward should be fired.
Sorry, does not compute. This is TexAgs brother, zero or one.
BQ_90
AG
very true
DogCompany74
AG
I still contend that the only way this contract gets done is with assurances to Woodward that the buyouts would be covered by BMA(s) who wanted nothing more than poor Billy taken care of and that they didn't care to look at his history or anticipated future.

I wonder what these generous people think now that it is clear that he witheld his diagnosis prior to signing his first contract.

It's clear that Stansbury was probably promised the head job after the 2015/16 season but once the players who Stansbury helped recruit proved to be program changers, BK pulls a Mack Brown and decides to stay put.

We are trapped with him for at least two more years short of total collapse
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Double Diamond
I'm shocked this isn't a bigger deal that Kennedy didn't disclose his illness.
DogCompany74
AG
I agree. I understand that he is under no legal obligation to disclose pre-existing health issues prior to employment but it is at the very least questionable ethics for a man that claims to uphold the highest of character.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Double Diamond
I can assure you it's put the higherups in a bind. I bet it's been discussed. At some point Kennedy has to do the right thing and retire.
bruno319
AG
Double Diamond said:

I can assure you it's put the higherups in a bind. I bet it's been discussed. At some point Kennedy has to do the right thing and retire.

Given the size of coaching contracts these days, and more particularly the size of buyouts/money essentially being guaranteed, I think that coaches should be required to take full physicals for confirmation of long-term fitness and ability to operate in a high-stress profession and meet the obligation of their contracts. For multi-million dollar deals, that doesn't seem unreasonable.
TMF
AG
I have a problem with what seems like continuous round of suspensions, runoffs, transfers, etc. one or two years or here or there, but seems like every single year. I think we have a problem within the program and it starts at the top.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.