TJ Starks

5,220 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hop
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mrs. Collins,
I know that your son has some better advanced stats than Starks, but it's also true that a player doesn't tend to make lots of mistakes when he plays in slow motion and nobody on the other team guards him. As long as Collins gets 2 ball screens to get the ball across the timeline, he generally won't commit too many mistakes. No TO, no assists, no rebounds, no points, safe passes around the perimeter, 28 second possessions, and the occasional missed open 3. Yep, a nice clean stat line that only a mother, a SABREmatician, and Billy Kennedy could love.
Wicked Good Ag
In terms of basketball what is the biggest difference between Wilson and Starks. It is on is a senior and one is a freshman. With the basketball maturity and IQ to go with it
OasisMan
AG
He is in line for a lot of PT next year
TjgtAg08
AG
If you are directing this at me, I'm not advocating for Collins to get any more minutes, but just merely pointing it out to show how bad Starks has been, statistically, so far.

Of the guys who actually play (aka not counting Mark French, whoever that is), Starks has taken THE MOST SHOTS OF ANYONE ON THE TEAM per 40 minutes. Conversely, of anyone on the team who has made a basket this year, his FG% is THE WORST ON THE TEAM.

When he is on the court, he contributes -6.1 points in overall +/- per 100 possessions. Of the players that have played in 10+ games, he is only player in the negative in that statistic.

Its crazy how some people say "Hogg is terrible b/c he is shooting 27% from 3 since being back" or "Trocha should never shoot 3s due to his bad percentage" or complain about Davis shooting FTs due to his bad percentage, but then champion for Starks despite almost a dozen statistical categories that show he is currently the worst on the team. It boggles my mind.

We aren't in the middle of a non-conference cupcake run where he can figure things out on the court. Hell, during that cupcake run he couldn't figure it out.

The only real, logical reason anyone can be championing Starks to get a lot more consistent minutes is because they don't want him to leave. I get it, but that mentality is essentially also rooting against this year's team.
DogCompany74
AG
Starks is notable for attacking the rim completely out of control. He has probably drawn more player control fouls than anyone on the team.

But at the end of the day, if your coach tells you to run the offense ( whatever it may be) and you intentionally ignore that and Jack up threes early in the clock then you can reasonably expect to sit.

I happen to believe that all of our players would progress under a new coach but as long as he is the coach, BK has to instill some sort of discipline as long as it is fairly administered.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
94chem
I think he should be COACHED instead of disciplined. It's amazing that these kids play only ome sport, non-stop, year-round, since birth, yet they arrive at college and don't know how to play that sport. Good coaches instill a passion for winning, and bring it to fruition by instilling an attention to detail. Bad coaches place the blame on the player and wash their hands. Sometimes you just have a kid who won't buy in...but we've seen way too much evidence by this point to place default blame on the players.
94chem
I'll restate it, and it's probably worth a new thread, but coaches today are dealing with a significant difference in these generations. It's that kids today just haven't learned to love winning. They have to be taught how hard it is to win, how much losing hurts. It sounds silly, I know, but it really has to be taught. In this world your talent alone can get you into the elite schools and even get you paid. Nobody cares about AAU standings. Guys have to be convinced that winning as a team is really hard but feels really good. Coach Cal has to do this every year, and he does an amazing job at it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
94chem said:

I think he should be COACHED instead of disciplined. It's amazing that these kids play only ome sport, non-stop, year-round, since birth, yet they arrive at college and don't know how to play that sport. Good coaches instill a passion for winning, and bring it to fruition by instilling an attention to detail. Bad coaches place the blame on the player and wash their hands. Sometimes you just have a kid who won't buy in...but we've seen way too much evidence by this point to place default blame on the players.
Bobby Knight used to have the quickest hook in basketball. I'm not a Kennedy supporter but benching a player for making repeated mistakes is nothing new.
94chem
With Bobby Knight, the player got the message. I agree with the quick hook. But players today need more. Perhaps anecdotal, but the last third of Knight's career didn't go as well...right about the time the Gen-xers started hitting the ranks.
PatAg
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Starks is notable for attacking the rim completely out of control. He has probably drawn more player control fouls than anyone on the team.

But at the end of the day, if your coach tells you to run the offense ( whatever it may be) and you intentionally ignore that and Jack up threes early in the clock then you can reasonably expect to sit.

I happen to believe that all of our players would progress under a new coach but as long as he is the coach, BK has to instill some sort of discipline as long as it is fairly administered.

Starks has had a few games where he has been driving under control, and either actually looking to pass when they collapse on his drive, or he finished under control.
Then after doing this a few times he reverts to just going all out with his head down and gets his attempt stuffed down his throat. Then the next play he'll take two dribbles and try to Jack a 3

Moral of the story, BK sucks as a coach
expresswrittenconsent
Junkhead said:

94chem said:

Bobby Knight used to have the quickest hook in basketball. I'm not a Kennedy supporter but benching a player for making repeated mistakes is nothing new.

It works both ways. Knight was a great coach but he didn't make it out of the first weekend over the last half of his career because he refused to adapt to the players. He also ran off Larry freakin Bird.
Hop
Staff
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Why should Starks get minutes? Oh I don't know, maybe because he's the best penetrating guard on the entire team and can score driving to the basket or kick out to guys for wide open looks. Do you see anybody else breaking down a defense?

No freshman is going to get in any sort of rhythm coming in one game and sitting out the entire next one. It's mostly all BK's fault for ruining him just like everything else.

edit: Wilson is good at driving to the lane and I'm certainly not saying Starks should be starting over him or anything but he should definitely get some PT.
The issue is when he penetrates, he does not kick it out and tries to shoot off-balance over two defenders on him that know he's shooting because he rarely passes.

But let's go back to the last time he played. It was more than simply shooting too much. He gets the ball at the point with 20-25 seconds on the shot clock with somebody guarding him. Everybody is expecting him to run the offense and aren't prepared for a quick, contested 3-point shot several feet behind the arc. The rebound is long and Tennessee has an immediate fast break and kick-out for an open 3-ball on a 3-on-2 break. That was a five-point swing because of the poor decision that goes beyond just an aggressive shooter....and the staff has been working with him on this for weeks and this same thing resulted in getting a seat on the pine earlier in the year. Yet, he blatantly did it again at the detriment of his team.

If anybody here advocates playing somebody who is ignoring his team's plays and the coach's instruction, then you don't understand basketball. Starks is talented and has the ability to be a difference maker for this team, but he must run what the coach wants you to run if he wants to play...that's basketball 101. Ironically, he was making progress in the UK and LSU games, but the Tennessee game was a regression and earned him bench time again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.