Rotation was unclear but is obvious now.

5,575 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GE
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assuming Caldwell is better than Starks and Wilson, which by all accounts is obvious, here is what the rotation should be.

PG: Caldwell, Starks, Wilson (spot time when someone is struggling)
SG: Gilder, Starks
SF: Hogg, Flagg
PF: Williams, Trocha
C: Davis, Trocha, Jasey (spot time when someone is in foul trouble)

I redshirt Chandler if he's ok with it and I can trust Hogg to stay available throughout the season.
mallen
AG
I think there will be times when we see three of Caldwell, Gilder, Starks, Wilson and Chandler on the floor at the same time. We will play small some , depending on opponent.
Aston04
AG
I'm not sold that Caldwell is way better than Starks. Starks looks damn good out there today (yes I know game 1, etc)... I'd love to see a lineup at times of Caldwell, Starks and Gilder if Caldwell really is that much better. That's some very good guard play. We got plenty of 4/5 bigs to control the paint.
Wizard
What about Collins
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

I'm not sold that Caldwell is way better than Starks. Starks looks damn good out there today (yes I know game 1, etc)... I'd love to see a lineup at times of Caldwell, Starks and Gilder if Caldwell really is that much better. That's some very good guard play. We got plenty of 4/5 bigs to control the paint.
All the insider word thus far is that Caldwell is clearly the best lead guard on the team. And if that is true, and you like Starks, then get your popcorn ready for some Caldwell.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Wizard said:

What about Collins
Collins played great tonight, and he is a really good walk-on guard to have down at the end of the bench for emergencies or garbage time. But unfortunately when I saw him on the court tonight, it also reminded me about last season. I hope if we see much of him this year, it is only because we blew tons of people out of the building and there was lots of available garbage time.
jml2621
GE said:

Assuming Caldwell is better than Starks and Wilson, which by all accounts is obvious, here is what the rotation should be.

PG: Caldwell, Starks, Wilson (spot time when someone is struggling)
SG: Gilder, Starks
SF: Hogg, Flagg
PF: Williams, Trocha
C: Davis, Trocha, Jasey (spot time when someone is in foul trouble)

I redshirt Chandler if he's ok with it and I can trust Hogg to stay available throughout the season.

That's the way I see it. Starks is first off the bench. wilson will probably see a little more than spot time. Chandler subs at the 2 sometimes.

GUARD DEPTH is the operative phrase.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Aston04 said:

All the insider word thus far is that Caldwell is clearly the best lead guard on the team. And if that is true, and you like Starks, then get your popcorn ready for some Caldwell.

An embarrassment of guard riches.

The young bucks will be tested big time against WV's press.

I was really, really impressed with Starks' handle and decision making. Those 2 Euro step buckets got me excited - the folks near me thought I was nuts exclaiming the virtues of a ridiculous Euro-step delivered, when Starks was driving to the bucket. Starks can seriously create space on hist shot. He comes off screens well, and puts his body in a position to catch and shoot, dribble or pass. Incredibly Efficient. When he gets bumped, he still finishes the bucket. He's a legit Triple Threat.

Flagg's was very good for a wing off the dribble. Wilson and Chandler. I should mention all EXCELLED on D. STEAL % defense/offense is going to swing our way. They strip guys, get in the passing lane, hustle like hell. I know it's Tarleton State, but some of the most hustle on D I've since since Gillispie.
CapCityAg89
AG
I think Trocha starts over Hogg. And I think Chandler plays at the 2. I'd rather go by minutes:

Davis
Gilder
Williams
T-M
Caldwell
Hogg
Starks
Wilson
Chandler
Collins
Jacey
aggiesrulegigem
(Off topic but) I' like the aggies future chandler starks and Flagg all promising and I'm still high on walker this redshirt year will do wonders
GE
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

I think Trocha starts over Hogg. And I think Chandler plays at the 2. I'd rather go by minutes:

Davis
Gilder
Williams
T-M
Caldwell
Hogg
Starks
Wilson
Chandler
Collins
Jacey
The Trocha/Hogg question is entirely dependent on whether you would prefer Jasey log minutes or DJ log minutes. Williams, Davis, and Trocha can handle all the work in the post if they play 26 minutes each at those positions. You eat into that ability for them to play the whole game down low when Tonny starts playing the three.
Aston04
AG
We have way too much depth to play TM at the 3. Let Hogg, Flagg, or a guard take those minutes. Tony will still play a bunch in a mainly 3 way rotation at 4/5.
greg.w.h
AG
I have a theory: BK has an offense when his backcourt all can handle the ball in traffic. And it's twice as good with someone who can drive the basket. But there were a LOT of relatively unchallenged, unfinished shots last night and that was just Tarleton State. Which implies the bench is going to have to up its game.

I look forward to RW and Gilder getting back. I hope Hogg accidentally drinks some aggression water on the way back.

As to Aston's comment: TTM has to be amazing with the three point shot to earn time on the floor with RW and Davis and we know if they are smaller he is at a disadvantage guarding. So i would guess time at the three is limited.

StanGundy
TTM will likely play very few, if any, minutes at the 3. Not only is he not very effective there other than an occasional 3ptr, but that also gives Flagg less floor time. With the way this young group can get up and apply defensive pressue, I can see us playing smaller rather than larger most of the time. Flagg is already a better and more active rebounder than Hogg and TTM.

I would be willing to bet we'll see a Caldwell, Starks, Gilder, Flagg, Williams lineup on occasion flying around the floor and causing serious matchup issues as the season unfolds.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Wizard said:

What about Collins
Collins played great tonight, and he is a really good walk-on guard to have down at the end of the bench for emergencies or garbage time. But unfortunately when I saw him on the court tonight, it also reminded me about last season. I hope if we see much of him this year, it is only because we blew tons of people out of the building and there was lots of available garbage time.
Beat up on walk-ons ? Cheap !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
CactusThomas
AG
For the most part I tend to agree with OP on rotations.

One thing I'm sure of - it felt damn good to be back at Reed.
jml2621
aggiesrulegigem said:

(Off topic but) I' like the aggies future chandler starks and Flagg all promising and I'm still high on walker this redshirt year will do wonders

He's not that good. Seems like a good kid.
jml2621
Aston04 said:

We have way too much depth to play TM at the 3. Let Hogg, Flagg, or a guard take those minutes. Tony will still play a bunch in a mainly 3 way rotation at 4/5.

Trocha looks the same. He needs to back the 4 and 5.
jml2621

After the myriad of suspensions:

Caldwell/Starks/Wilson
Gilder/Starks/Chandler
Hogg/Flagg/Chandler
Williams/Trocha/Jasey
Davis/Trocha/Williams

off the bench:

Starks
Trocha
Flagg
Wilson
Chandler
Jasey
StanGundy
I pretty much agree with JML except that we'll see Hogg rotate at the 4 rather than Jasey. Jasey is a 5 all the way. Can't score or stretch floor. This will also open up more minutes for Flagg at the 3.
greg.w.h
AG
jml2621 said:

aggiesrulegigem said:

Walker had back to back swats early in a single Tarleton trip. I started paying more attention. He's not seasoned and athleticism is moderate. But I think he has an upside if coached. Not saying he will be awesome but could be bench role player.
jml2621
greg.w.h said:

jml2621 said:

aggiesrulegigem said:

Walker had back to back swats early in a single Tarleton trip. I started paying more attention. He's not seasoned and athleticism is moderate. But I think he has an upside if coached. Not saying he will be awesome but could be bench role player.

jml2621
StanGundy said:

I pretty much agree with JML except that we'll see Hogg rotate at the 4 rather than Jasey. Jasey is a 5 all the way. Can't score or stretch floor. This will also open up more minutes for Flagg at the 3.

Given our limited depth behind the 3 bigs, I could see this. Flagg, too. He can rebound.
TjgtAg08
AG
I'm surprised at the suggestion of redshirting Chandler, I LOVED what I saw of him in the exhibition. I don't think Starks is tall enough to play the 2 for very often, so Chandler could get some minutes there.
Pumpkinhead
AG
austinaggie2008 said:

I'm surprised at the suggestion of redshirting Chandler, I LOVED what I saw of him in the exhibition. I don't think Starks is tall enough to play the 2 for very often, so Chandler could get some minutes there.
Redshirting a guy as talented as Chandler who can contribute immediately would basically be telling him to transfer out of the program.
Hop
Staff
AG
Aston04 said:

Two different players...Caldwell is a distributor. Starks is a scorer.

Starks better learn to play smarter on defense. He had several big mistakes on defense.
Hop
Staff
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Davis
Gilder
Williams
T-M
Caldwell
Hogg
Starks
Wilson
Chandler
Collins
Jacey
TRocha over Hogg isn't even the right question. It's Flagg over Hogg because Flagg plays great defense and hits the boards with intensity. He is quick enough to guard on the perimeter, and big enough to take a wing or small forward. There is value in that type of flexibility on defense.
Jumbo Fister
AG
Really impressed with Chandler's athleticism. Once he starts knocking down shots he will be invaluable. Definitely should not redshirt him

John walker and jasey are the most raw but walker is probably the only one we should redshirt, if necessary
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

austinaggie2008 said:

Redshirting a guy as talented as Chandler who can contribute immediately would basically be telling him to transfer out of the program.
Yeah, this isn't football. It's rare to redshirt fish just because they may not be ready.

Remember, when BK tried that idiotic strategy on Soph ARob? Cost us an NCAA bid last year.
jml2621
Hop said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Davis
Gilder
Williams
T-M
Caldwell
Hogg
Starks
Wilson
Chandler
Collins
Jacey
TRocha over Hogg isn't even the right question. It's Flagg over Hogg because Flagg plays great defense and hits the boards with intensity. He is quick enough to guard on the perimeter, and big enough to take a wing or small forward. There is value in that type of flexibility on defense.
Hogg is going to share some minutes with Hogg when we need defense and rebounding.

Right now Flagg is not a threat: shooting, dribble drive, passing. All thous skills are marginal/frosh level right now. Flagg has a good handle and is can run on the semi-break. Look forward to seeing him develop.

jml2621
Hop said:

Aston04 said:

Two different players...Caldwell is a distributor. Starks is a scorer.

Starks better learn to play smarter on defense. He had several big mistakes on defense.

Defensive awareness can be taught.

Starks protects the ball on offense, passes well. Comes off picks, makes fewer mental mistakes than Wilson, who had 4-5 major brain farts on offense.

A good bit of what Starks can do...can't be taught. He gets significant minutes, IMO as a combo guard backing the 1 and 2.
brad1313
jml2621 said:

Hop said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Davis
Gilder
Williams
T-M
Caldwell
Hogg
Starks
Wilson
Chandler
Collins
Jacey
Hogg is going to share some minutes with Hogg when we need defense and rebounding.

Right now Flagg is not a threat: shooting, dribble drive, passing. All thous skills are marginal/frosh level right now. Flagg has a good handle and is can run on the semi-break. Look forward to seeing him develop.

What?????

Hogg sharing minutes with Hogg, interesting strategy.
Flagg not a threat dribbling or passing, but Flagg has a good handle????
rosstradamas70
AG
brad1313 said:

jml2621 said:

Hop said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Davis
Gilder
Williams
T-M
Caldwell
Hogg
Starks
Wilson
Chandler
Collins
Jacey

What?????

Hogg sharing minutes with Hogg, interesting strategy.
Flagg not a threat dribbling or passing, but Flagg has a good handle????
maybe we are see some drunk posting?
ross skillman 70
PJYoung
AG
I was really impressed with Flagg's hops on Friday night. The dude gets up there.

And Jasey moved a lot better than I was led to believe as well.

Love the youngsters.
GE
AG
It's becoming a little murky. Can't help thinking Starks is one of our best five players. If the opponent isn't going big on the wing I would like to see Admon moved to the three and a lineup of Caldwell, Starks, Gilder, Williams, and Davis. Would be absolutely devastating offensively in terms of guard play
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.