Vila - U19 World Championships

15,316 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ric Flair Woooo
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Spain is 2-0 with wins over Japan and Canada. Vila is having a good tourney averaging 14.5 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game. I watched part of the game against Japan. He was still struggling from the perimeter but he was passing well and getting a ton of rebounds....very efficient scoring around the basket.

He's a good ball player. I just think he lost his confidence adjusting to the American game early in the season and he never recovered mentally. Too bad because I do think he's a quality player.
Jack Bristow
AG
Thank you for the report Hop. Wish him well.
Method Man
mikesyracuse1
He played this way before arriving at A&M.

Mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
AG
Quote:

He was still struggling from the perimeter but he was passing well and getting a ton of rebounds....very efficient scoring around the basket.

I'm sure his slim frame and dealing with the physicality of D1 level hoops was part of the issue. Probably it is simply easier for him at the moment to rebound and finish close to the rim in U19 international competition just due to his good height and length, but he still needs to gain some weight and strength to make those kind of plays at the next level.
TangoMike
Pumpkinhead said:

Quote:

He was still struggling from the perimeter but he was passing well and getting a ton of rebounds....very efficient scoring around the basket.

I'm sure his slim frame and dealing with the physicality of D1 level hoops was part of the issue. Probably it is simply easier for him at the moment to rebound and finish close to the rim in U19 international competition just due to his good height and length, but he still needs to gain some weight and strength to make those kind of plays at the next level.
And fix his shot mechanics. His release point varied from eyeball level all the way up to 6" above his head. That's why he was not good here.
agtrevino07
AG
Any update in regards to where he is going to transfer?
bobinator
AG
Always looked like he had good skills, could have made up for not being ready for this level of hoops if he was a sharpshooter but his mechanics were off. He'll be a good ballplayer though.
Hop
Staff
AG
I think Vila's time with Darby has paid off for the World Championships. He's playing mostly as a post and not a perimeter player in this tourney. In the round of 16 against Iran today, he had 10 points and 15 rebounds. Most of his points were putbacks around the basket.
2nd Generation Ag
I don't know why he left but if we pushed him out that was dumb
GE
AG
mengland said:

He should have gotten every minute that the walkons got last season. If you look at his production per minute played versus theirs, it's not even close.
bobinator
AG
I'll disagree there.

While yes, Vila was better than Collins, the team was better when Collins was at the point and Hampton/Gilder/Hogg were at the 2/3 than it would have been with them at the 1 and 2 and Vila at the three. Sort of a sum-of-the-parts thing.

Unless maybe you're talking about some radical lineup adjustments like actually having Vila play point guard or something. Which, I dunno, sure, might as well have tried it I guess.
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

mengland said:

He should have gotten every minute that the walkons got last season. If you look at his production per minute played versus theirs, it's not even close.
A couple thoughts...

1. Vila didn't play the same position as the only walk-on that got any meaningful minutes (Chris Collins), so while I think Kennedy's rotations and DNP decisions were absurd, I think they are separate from the Vila flameout.

2. Vila wasn't really any more productive than Collins, except when it came to taking shots (although not better at making shots) and rebounds (duh he's a lot taller). What stats are you seeing that show his "production per minute played" was clearly superior to the walkons?
GE
AG
bobinator said:

I'll disagree there.

While yes, Vila was better than Collins, the team was better when Collins was at the point and Hampton/Gilder/Hogg were at the 2/3 than it would have been with them at the 1 and 2 and Vila at the three. Sort of a sum-of-the-parts thing.

Unless maybe you're talking about some radical lineup adjustments like actually having Vila play point guard or something. Which, I dunno, sure, might as well have tried it I guess.
Should have tried it. He didn't really turn the ball over and is a good passes with good court vision.
Aston04
AG
Last year, BK needed to try ANY and all possible combinations that might work that did not include Collins on the floor. It's one thing to put someone on the floor that is playing poorly, but has big upside. Collins does not fit that mold-- there was very little upside there. We were never going to be good enough to make the NCAAs with him on the floor a bunch. Yet we still just blindly rode it out with Collins on the floor way too much most of the season.
Hop
Staff
AG
Vila had a monster quarterfinal game against Argentina. He had 24 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists. He had a stretch of three straight scores at the end of the 3rd quarter that opened it up for Spain...including an ally-oop slam that seemed to ignite the Spaniards.

He's still struggling from the perimeter and FT line. had he made his free throws he could've scored 30. He did most of his damage breaking down his man and driving to the bucket and scoring on runners and layups.

He now leads Spain in most offensive categories and is playing far more minutes than anybody else.
Hop
Staff
AG
Strange that the English announcers still called him an Aggie and attending Texas A&M since the decision to transfer was made a couple of months ago. His FIBA profile still shows that he's at Texas A&M.
monarch
S
Last year is past; don't worry about it.
Hop
Staff
AG
monarch said:

Last year is past; don't worry about it.

Where have you been all this time? If I had you to tell me what to do, my life would have been so much better. May I follow Alex Caruso with the Lakers' D team?
Aston04
AG
What's interesting is despite these stats, I really don't think he would have helped us much unless he figured out perimeter shooting enough to be at least respected out there. Not sure if defense is much tougher in D1 basketball compared to that league or what.. definitely more physical.
jml2621

Our best lineup if DJ was healthy would have been:

PG - Gilder
ComboG - Hampton (shot 3FG well at the end of the year)
SF - Hogg (Gilder controls ball)
PF - RW
C - Davis

That's an NCAA team.

Hop
Staff
AG
In the semifinal against Italy, Vila finished with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Spain had an 11 point lead with les than 3 minutes left but lost. Down 1 with 10 seconds left, Spain got the ball to Vila who drove the lane and had a good look at the game winner but it went in and out.
jja79
AG
Can I get a Kyler Murray update please? Vila left. Good luck to him.

Any info on any Aggie sports?
GE
AG
I'm interested in the Vila updates
LawHall88
AG
agtrevino07
AG
http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Eric-Vila-will-transfer-to-Fresno-State-105772332

He is going to a less demanding league physically might be a better fit for him.
DallasAggie87
AG
he has good ball skills and can pass. He just isn't a pure shooter.
Jeff Patel
AG
GE said:

mengland said:

Totally agree !
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

Vila on the move again. We could use another big...

TMartin
Vila leaves and D J Hogg stays.....about right for BK.
Pumpkinhead
AG
TMartin said:

As frustrating as Hogg was, Vila has yet to show enough to be considered anywhere close to as good as Hogg in a D1 basketball game. So if you are suggesting we'd have been better off with Vila on the roster than Hogg last season...well...

Hop
Staff
AG
LawHall88 said:

LawHall88 said:

Don't laugh just yet...
Method Man
TMartin said:

I don't get the point here
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

LawHall88 said:

LawHall88 said:

Don't laugh just yet...
Between us and UTEP?
expresswrittenconsent
mcdany03 will cream
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.