Vila - U19 World Championships

15,259 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ric Flair Woooo
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

The buyout isn't very high at the end of next season IIRC, I think after next year it's basically down to just one year's salary. Whether that's too high for us to make a change in basketball is probably a valid question, but it really isn't very high if I'm remembering the contract numbers right.
$3.5MM until the middle of May, then drops to $2.5MM
Gap
AG
And as usual every basketball thread must devolve into something about getting rid of the coach. The coach who while not perfect has taken us to 2 Sweet 16's in the last 3 years.

The obsession is along the lines of Trump Derangement Syndrome that many on the left have regarding impeaching President Trump. I guess we should name this illness and obsession Billy Kennedy Derangement Syndrome or BKDS.
expresswrittenconsent
This is actually a thread that was discussing the contract details of the head coach, and it was specifically mentioned that an extension/new deal may be due after next season for mr 2 sweet 16s. I wouldn't expect a trump apologist who brings politics into every discussion (even one about Aggie basketball) to understand the nuance, though.
Gap
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

This is actually a thread that was discussing the contract details of the head coach
I guess the thread title being about Eric Vila is just meant to throw off the masses.
expresswrittenconsent
The masses see 100+ post thread and understand the discussion has probably veered directions. You seem to be the only upset snowflake. I'm sincerely sorry that this thread has offended you. Do you accept my apology?
Gap
AG
Does the snowflake thing even apply here to a discussion about hijacking an Eric Vila thread? Too unoriginal to come up with a better attempted insult?
bobinator
AG
"copo de nieve" is snowflake in Spanish if that's any better?
Hop
Staff
AG
So.......

has anybody seen Vila walking around the campus lately? I haven't heard anything, so I suspect it was a brief flirtation. They looked at the rules and saw it wasn't feasible and all parties have moved on.
94chem
He enrolled, but then he transferred again.
GE
AG
Hop said:

So.......

has anybody seen Vila walking around the campus lately? I haven't heard anything, so I suspect it was a brief flirtation. They looked at the rules and saw it wasn't feasible and all parties have moved on.
I was looking at his Twitter thing and clicked on something that took me to another Twitter thing and someone was saying he was coming back to the NCAA. I don't read Spanish so not sure if that's what was said but that's all I got.
wacarnolds
AG
Vila's progression going in wrong direction. Seems like a good kid so I hope he balls out

Hop
Staff
AG
wacarnolds said:

Vila's progression going in wrong direction. Seems like a good kid so I hope he balls out

I wouldn't say wrong direction. He has to go JUCO to play next season and then can transfer back to D-1.
expresswrittenconsent
Still sort of seems like a backwards move when he could have just as easily not gone juco and just been eligible at Fresno now. And I get that he is from Europe and likely doesn't care about a degree, but if he had been working towards a degree, with 1 yr here, and 2 yrs at Fresno (1 redshirt) he could be looking at graduating in may with 2 to play 2 at a high major rather than transferring for a 3rd time in may and having still 2 yrs of eligibility left.
Hop
Staff
AG

Still sort of seems like a backwards move when he could have just as easily not gone juco and just been eligible at Fresno now. And I get that he is from Europe and likely doesn't care about a degree, but if he had been working towards a degree, with 1 yr here, and 2 yrs at Fresno (1 redshirt) he could be looking at graduating in may with 2 to play 2 at a high major rather than transferring for a 3rd time in may and having still 2 yrs of eligibility left.
You or I don't know the specifics at Fresno that led to his departure, so to express what you think is best for him is a moot point. We do know there was a coaching change and that several veterans publicly expressed their displeasure at the situation. Something happened during this change that rubbed Vila the wrong way and he felt he needed to leave. He looked into coming back to A&M, and that didn't work out. He didn't play last year, and if he transferred to a D-1 school, he'd not only sit out a second year, but he'd lose that year of eligibility...so it makes sense to go JUCO and play right away, and then immediately jump to D-1.
expresswrittenconsent
You admit neither of us know anything but then you immediately follow that up by telling me my uninformed opinion on the subject (which was a response to your uninformed opinion about wac's uninformed opinion) is moot. Do you not see the irony there?
My opinion that he is moving backwards is 100% as valid as your take that he had no choice at all but to leave FSU and go JC.
Wicked Good Ag
Does anyone think occasionally the Hop has a sock that is eco.zapp.makes.crisp air?
Hop
Staff
AG

You admit neither of us know anything but then you immediately follow that up by telling me my uninformed opinion on the subject (which was a response to your uninformed opinion about wac's uninformed opinion) is moot. Do you not see the irony there?
My opinion that he is moving backwards is 100% as valid as your take that he had no choice at all but to leave FSU and go JC.

You don't see the logic of him going to JUCO, and I provided a very clear reason why he would go to JUCO. In fact, it's the only logical choice for somebody in his situation. It makes no sense to transfer to another D-1 school to sit and lose a year.

Maybe he has dreamed of playing at a Florida JUCO, or maybe it's the only JUCO he could find, so I don't know the personal reason why he picked East Florida State College or whatever it's called. But it is clear that he realized the logical route to move his basketball career forward is to play somewhere at a JUCO as opposed to sitting a second straight season which would set him back. He plays well at JUCO, and D-1's are coming after him. If he tries to find a D-1 to transfer to now with no recent playing experience and two consecutive transfers, his D-1 market value is almost nil.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

You don't see the logic of him going to JUCO, and I provided a very clear reason why he would go to JUCO. In fact, it's the only logical choice for somebody in his situation. It makes no sense to transfer to another D-1 school to sit and lose a year

You do this thing a lot where you build an argument around things that were never said, things that are factually incorrect, etc.
I never said I don't understand or see the logic in why he would go to a juco, I said it could be argued that juco was another step backward.
I also never said it would make sense for him to transfer to another d1 and sit another year. I said he could have played this coming year at fresno, graduated in may and had 2 to play 2 as a grad xfer anywhere he wanted without sitting out at all.
Ric Flair Woooo
AG
Vila was in Houston eating brunch at buffalo grill last Sunday. FYI

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.