Thad Matta fired

5,781 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

Health is a concern with Huggins also according to a lot of the media types. He might not be a great hire if you're looking for a long term solution. Though I'd think in mid-summer you're just looking for any solution.
Yeah hiring Huggins at this point seems risky. Agree that this is a unique situation though due to timing, and you definitely don't turn down a guy like Huggins to hire an unproven mid-major guy.
Hop
Staff
AG
You don't wait until June to fire your coach.
_lefraud_
AG
Well yea, but this reads like maybe they had a conversation or meeting, and maybe it just didn't go well, or things came to light. Maybe the AD questioned the recruiting, or something of that nature. Maybe the AD and/or Matta spouted something out of their ass and the other took offense. Remember these guys have egos.

It just doesn't seem very plausible that Matta woke up one morning, especially this late, and decided to give it up. I'm guessing something happened, what that something is, who knows, but it just doesn't add up.

Ohio St is a decent job, but im not sure it's even top 5 in the conference.
wacarnolds
AG
_l said:

I think it's easily top 5. I'd go...

1. Indiana
2. Ohio State/Michigan State
3. Michigan State/Ohio State
4. Maryland/Illinois
5. Illinois/Maryland
Wicked Good Ag
No Michigan ??
wacarnolds
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

No Michigan ??
Good program, but I think Ed Martin getting busted took the edge off them. Wisconsin and Michigan would be next on my list after that top 5.
MosesRAB-93
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

Back surgeries! Not that effective but we will keep paying for them.
After you have heard enough back-surgery-gone-wrong stories like Steve Kerr and Thad Matta, personally I wouldn't let anybody take a knife to my back unless I already was in a state where I was unable to walk and had nothing to lose.

Usually at that point it's a choice between risk or lifelong opiate addiction.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

It just doesn't seem very plausible that Matta woke up one morning, especially this late, and decided to give it up. I'm guessing something happened, what that something is, who knows, but it just doesn't add up.

why isn't it plausible?
_lefraud_
AG
- Matta stated that he might want to coach again one day
- If it were health issues, I think either Matta/tOSU would be extremely public about it OR he would have waited until maybe Sept/Oct and named an interim head coach

It just sounds as if Matta and the AD had an informal meeting/discussion, and the AD walked away from said discussion thinking an immediate change was necessary.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
_lefraud_ said:

- If it were health issues, I think either Matta/tOSU would be extremely public about it OR he would have waited until maybe Sept/Oct and named an interim head coach

It just sounds as if Matta and the AD had an informal meeting/discussion, and the AD walked away from said discussion thinking an immediate change was necessary.
My own hypothetical guess is that Matta was one of the 'good guys' in the coaching business with a lot of success on his resume, but he had been dealing with some really tough health issues, partly contributing to a decline in the program the last few years. Despite the health problems, like most coaches he was probably very reluctant to step away from the game. Due to that and the AD probably liking him, nobody wanted to make the tough decision and so things dragged out much longer than normal. But eventually after one particular meeting with Matta, things finally reached a decision point.
bobinator
AG
An EIGHT year deal for Holtman per Jeff Goodman. Holy crap.
bobinator
AG
wacarnolds said:

_l said:

1. Indiana
4. Maryland/Illinois
5. Illinois/Maryland

It's hard because it depends on what we mean by "top five." Like, easiest to win at? Most prestigious? Most resources?

I'd say Indiana, Michigan State, and Maryland are definitely better jobs than Ohio State. And I'd think right now Michigan is also. If anything, everyone has come full circle and seems to love the Fab Five now, so I'm not sure Michigan get popped for something that happened almost 30 years ago makes much of a difference. Ohio State had its own recruiting scandal in the early 2000's and had to vacate a Final Four.

Like, if all of the Big 10 coaches got raptured away, and they were all hunting coaches, I'd think Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland and Michigan would end up with a better coach than Ohio State.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

wacarnolds said:

_l said:

1. Indiana
4. Maryland/Illinois
5. Illinois/Maryland

It's hard because it depends on what we mean by "top five." Like, easiest to win at? Most prestigious? Most resources?

I'd say Indiana, Michigan State, and Maryland are definitely better jobs than Ohio State. And I'd think right now Michigan is also. If anything, everyone has come full circle and seems to love the Fab Five now, so I'm not sure Michigan get popped for something that happened almost 30 years ago makes much of a difference. Ohio State had its own recruiting scandal in the early 2000's and had to vacate a Final Four.

Like, if all of the Big 10 coaches got raptured away, and they were all hunting coaches, I'd think Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland and Michigan would end up with a better coach than Ohio State.
Why would Michigan be above Ohio State?
bobinator
AG
Just feels like a better job right now. They aren't historically better than Ohio State, but they feel like the better program right now to me.
LawHall88
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

_lefraud_ said:

My own hypothetical guess is that Matta was one of the 'good guys' in the coaching business with a lot of success on his resume, but he had been dealing with some really tough health issues, partly contributing to a decline in the program the last few years. Despite the health problems, like most coaches he was probably very reluctant to step away from the game. Due to that and the AD probably liking him, nobody wanted to make the tough decision and so things dragged out much longer than normal. But eventually after one particular meeting with Matta, things finally reached a decision point.
There were specific references to recruiting issues during the press conference, I wonder if Matta was curtailing his own recruiting trips because of his health.
BQ_90
AG
bobinator said:

An EIGHT year deal for Holtman per Jeff Goodman. Holy crap.
That's why you never want to be hiring a coach in June
_lefraud_
AG
Yea maybe the AD was informed of Matta's summer recruiting schedule (or lack of) and decided to meet with Matta himself.

AD: how's recruiting and everything going?

Matta: pretty well

AD: is your summer jammed packed? Where all are you headed?

Matta: well actually, I'm not planning on going much of anywhere because of my health

AD: interesting, do you feel like you can still do your job?

Matta: of course, but my health is keeping me from being on the road

AD: maybe we should look at making a change

Matta: well if that's how you feel
dog
AG
Wisconsin not on your list?
wacarnolds
AG
dog said:

Wisconsin not on your list?

wacarnolds said:

Wisconsin and Michigan would be next on my list after that top 5.
jml2621
Hop said:

You don't wait until June to fire your coach.

Nm Holtmann official.
jml2621
wacarnolds said:

_l said:

1. Indiana
4. Maryland/Illinois
5. Illinois/Maryland

Illinois doesn't belong..

Michigan State
Indiana
Ohio State
Michigan
Maryland
Wisconsin
Iowa
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.