Thad Matta fired

5,771 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19550448/thad-matta-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-13-seasons

Odd timing
GetThoseKeysMilo
Very odd timing. They don't do this unless there is something major going on within the program, like NCAA violations, or they already have a splash hire lined up.

Theoretically, maybe they were waiting on a certain NBA coach to be available...

Then again, after reading the article it sounds like the AD just suddenly felt like they needed to make a change. This is way late in the process and may set off some strange chains of events. Ohio State is a pretty desirable job.
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

Odd timing
Yeah no kidding. Major fail on their part to wait this long, especially now that Archie Miller bounced out of state to Indiana.
wacarnolds
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

Very odd timing. They don't do this unless there is something major going on within the program, like NCAA violations, or they already have a splash hire lined up.
Don't think it has anything to do with NCAA violations. Matta has some pretty serious health issues that would have to be taken into account at some point.
BurnetAggie99
He had major back surgery and it didn't go well. Lead to him still having back issues and he couldn't use his right leg
Pumpkinhead
AG
I'm guessing his health issues played a major role in this, including the odd timing. and that is what some current articles have been alluding to. Matta (like Steve Kerr head coach of the Warriors) apparently has been dealing with some significant back issues as mentioned. Was apparently a challenging physical ordeal for Matta to try to get through games.
Double Diamond
Not health. Or at least what they are saying. It's lack of recruiting movement. Crazy how Matta can't recruit anymore.
mallen
AG
Ohio State's 2015 recruiting class was ranked #5 nationally which included 4 top 100 recruits... Since then,

The 2016 class was ranked #41.
The 2017 class was ranked #71.

TMartin
So Ohio State terminated a coach over some health issues he was having ..............
Know Your Enemy
AG
TMartin said:

So Ohio State terminated a coach over some health issues he was having ..............

Because he wasn't recruiting anymore.
Method Man
Back surgeries! Not that effective but we will keep paying for them.
TMartin
"Back surgeries! Not that effective but we will keep paying for them"

Method Man is 100% correct.
jml2621
Method Man said:

Feels like a reverse BK.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Double Diamond said:

Not health. Or at least what they are saying. It's lack of recruiting movement. Crazy how Matta can't recruit anymore.
Quotes from Matta himself indicate that his declining health played a major factor.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/06/05/ohio-state-thad-matta-fired

Quote:

In his press conference in Columbus on Thursday, Matta said he'd still likely have his job if he had his health. He also mentioned "major negativity" from opponents in recruiting because of his health. "In 11 days, it will be 10 years," he said of the botched surgery. Adding sarcastically: "Not that I remember the date."
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

After you have heard enough back-surgery-gone-wrong stories like Steve Kerr and Thad Matta, personally I wouldn't let anybody take a knife to my back unless I already was in a state where I was unable to walk and had nothing to lose.
SilverTongueDevil
Pumpkinhead said:

Method Man said:

After you have heard enough back-surgery-gone-wrong stories like Steve Kerr and Thad Matta, personally I wouldn't let anybody take a knife to my back unless I already was in a state where I was unable to walk and had nothing to lose.
Agree, especially since these guys are rich and get the very best health care.
Bone6
Matta being a player's coach who recruited exceptionally well early at his time at Ohio State, I wonder if Callipari landing at Kentucky made the difference between him landing a few blue chippers during the second half of his time at Ohio State.
jml2621
Bone6 said:

Matta being a player's coach who recruited exceptionally well early at his time at Ohio State, I wonder if Callipari landing at Kentucky made the difference between him landing a few blue chippers during the second half of his time at Ohio State.

Back surgery is an excuse. Matta was fired - and it's about recruiting.

If BK were coach there, they would have dumped him in the Cuyahoga River 4 years ago.

czar_iv
AG
Quote:

If BK were coach there, they would have dumped him in the Cuyahoga River 4 years ago.
I doubt it. BK has mad church game and Columbus, Ohio has plenty of churches to keep him gainfully employed.
TXAggie2011
AG
Eh. I'm sure recruiting results played a role, but I doubt his health in and of itself didn't play some role.

There just hasn't been enough movement and activity in recruiting between now and April for me to think their view on that would have changed much.

There's been a handful of commitments but 90% of top recruits on the board since the end of the year are still uncommitted and with many schools still in the running, including Ohio State on some of those lists.
mikesyracuse1
Thad Matta is a great guy and was very successful everywhere he went, including Ohio State. I had the opportunity to work with him early in his career as a peer at another school. Traded a lot of game film with him when he was starting his career as an assistant coach. He is one of the good ones in the profession.

Mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Eh. I'm sure recruiting results played a role, but I doubt his health in and of itself didn't play some role.

There just hasn't been enough movement and activity in recruiting between now and April for me to think their view on that would have changed much.

There's been a handful of commitments but 9/10 top recruits on the board since the end of the year are still uncommitted and with many schools still in the running, including Ohio State on some of those lists.

Matta said that he is 'retiring' from coaching at a relatively young of age 49 to focus on his health, and from his own words said that health issues were a factor in how this played out. Given that we apparently are not going to see Matta back at coaching anywhere else for awhile (if ever) plus the odd timing of this decision, yes he was 'fired' but this looks like a guy who was having a very difficult time physically doing his job,
Method Man
Wow he's only 49?
WildcatAg
AG
Certainly a sad situation for Matta and while the timing could cause Ohio State difficulty they are fortunate that there is someone available who knows the conference, the recruiting area, and how to lead a program that is in a difficult situation.......

wacarnolds
AG
AgResearch
AG
wacarnolds said:

Too bad for them. He sucked at Iowa State and was only decent when at Creighton when his son carried the team on 3 pointers.
LawHall88
AG
AgResearch said:

wacarnolds said:

Too bad for them. He sucked at Iowa State and was only decent when at Creighton when his son carried the team on 3 pointers.
Particularly if it's true that Huggins wanted the job.
LawHall88
AG
So no McDermott, where does Ohio Sate go now? If Huggins really wants the job, then you have to hire him, unless Billy Donovan or Greg Marshall are interested.

wacarnolds
AG
LawHall88 said:

So no McDermott, where does Ohio Sate go now?

Perhaps Columbus will have a new Mayor soon?
LawHall88
AG
I thought Hoiberg already said he was staying with the Bulls.
wacarnolds
AG
LawHall88 said:

I thought Hoiberg already said he was staying with the Bulls.

I think you're right. But as they get turned down again and again, maybe they circle back with a better offer. Hard to see him leaving the NBA for a 2nd tier job, but I don't see his time in Chicago ending well.
wacarnolds
AG
Former player's thoughts....

bobinator
AG
Health is a concern with Huggins also according to a lot of the media types. He might not be a great hire if you're looking for a long term solution. Though I'd think in mid-summer you're just looking for any solution.
BurnetAggie99
Archie Miller would be someone I'd be calling if I was Ohio St
wacarnolds
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Archie Miller would be someone I'd be calling if I was Ohio St
he took a better job a few months ago. Don't know why he'd even pick up the phone.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.