Not that there should've been any doubt

5,843 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TangoMike
jml2621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Method Man said:

I've had half a bottle of whiskey and I'd drive to BCS in reverse if we could replace BK with Frank.

.629 > .553
Method Man
JJxvi said:

There is no "issue." Nobody seriously thinks Kennedy is a better coach than Martin, it's a laughable position and you look like a basketball novice for even hinting that it might still be in question with that post.

I've watched bball since Phi Slamma Jamma. I'm not always right but don't mistake me
For a novice.
_lefraud_
AG
Method Man said:

JJxvi said:

There is no "issue." Nobody seriously thinks Kennedy is a better coach than Martin, it's a laughable position and you look like a basketball novice for even hinting that it might still be in question with that post.

I've watched bball since Phi Slamma Jamma. I'm not always right but don't mistake me
For a novice.

He's talking to Hop, not you. Have another drink.
SACR
SACR
AG

Hop contradicts himself.

If Martin is a poor recruiter, he must be an incredible coach, because he got a team to the Elite Eight while recruiting poorly.

Using Hop's argument, Frank Martin is an example of how coaching is more important than recruiting, because you can coach up talent to overachieve.
Method Man
_lefraud_ said:

Method Man said:

JJxvi said:

For a novice.

He's talking to Hop, not you. Have another drink.
i did
AggieDPT
AG
Coached USCe to the Final Four. If that doesn't make you a good coach I don't know what does.
BQ_90
AG
Alabaster Jones said:

Coached USCe to the Final Four. If that doesn't make you a good coach I don't know what does.
Doesn't have SEC title, can't be that good
nickstro66
AG
Hop said:

Two of his three best players are stud seniors and the other top player may go pro. Just as y'all have said this year, I'm not going to anoint a guy a great coach based on one good year. If his No. 55 ranked freshman class and the young players on the roster can sustain this year's success next season, then I'll say he's a very good coach. I'll be impressed.

I have not doubted Martin's ability to get his teams playing good defense, but his recruiting outside of the gimme he got with Dozier has historically been inconsistent. He hasn't proven he can stockpile talent year-after-year. He may prove me wrong. If he does, I'll take my medicine.
Kind of like what BK had last season when we only made the Sweet 16?
Double Diamond
Martin built KSU. Huggins was there for 12 months.
Hickory High
AG
Don't look now, but there's a southern football school in the Final Four despite being a trash program just three years ago, and it's all because they have a good coach.
La Bamba
AG
Did Hop seriously argue for Kennedy in a Kennedy-Martin argument?

Does Hop also think Lavar Ball could beat MJ one-on-one?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
He is winning because of one player, lets see how good they are once he leaves. #KennedySupporters
Double Diamond
You're very wrong. You watch how the guard and rebound the ball? It's nothing like the passive way Kennedy desires defense to be played. SC denies passes and dictates what they want you to do on offense.
PatriotAg02
AG
I've always liked Frank Martin. He's hard-nosed and preaches great defense. Reminds me of BG.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Double Diamond said:

You're very wrong. You watch how the guard and rebound the ball? It's nothing like the passive way Kennedy desires defense to be played. SC denies passes and dictates what they want you to do on offense.

Check you sarcasm meter.
Double Diamond
_lefraud_
AG
Hickory High said:

Don't look now, but there's a southern football school in the Final Four despite being a trash program just three years ago, and it's all because they have a good coach.

Voided because South Carolina doesn't border the Gulf of Mexico.

On a serious note, the best 5 on the court for SC includes two freshmen and a sophomore. They are MUCH than a senior laden team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Was rooting for South Carolina all the way today. Maybe one day A&M will get the right coach with right group of players at the right time and have a really special Final Four season.

They graduate Thornwell, Notice, mcKie, and possibly Dozier as well who will have an NBA draft decision to make. If they do lose four of their top 6 players then them taking a significant step back next season would not be surprising, but really arguing about that seems ridiculous because a Final Four run is more than worth a rebuilding job for awhile after.

Kind of jealous of Gsmecock fans...
PaRappa
La Bamba said:

Hop is basically a troll/contrarian on all threads related to or that could be related to Kennedy.

Either that or your average 1st grader has a much better understanding of basketball and college basketball in particular, than he does.
TangoMike
PaRappa said:

La Bamba said:

Sandhop is basically a troll/contrarian on all threads

Fixed
mazag08
AG
Method Man said:

I've had half a bottle of whiskey and I'd drive to BCS in reverse if we could replace BK with Frank.

Method.. this is rare.. but that should be POTD
Method Man
Thanks, mazag!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Do y'all see South Carolina getting past Gonzaga? I'm thinking probably not. The Zags have only lost one game all season and they play defense just has ruthless. And offensively they just don't seem to have any weaknesses. They can bludgeon you inside or shoot threes all game.
Deputy Travis Junior
Pumpkinhead said:

Do y'all see South Carolina getting past Gonzaga? I'm thinking probably not. The Zags have only lost one game all season and they play defense just has ruthless. And offensively they just don't seem to have any weaknesses. They can bludgeon you inside or shoot threes all game.
It could happen. The West Virginia defense gave Gonzaga a lot of problems (41% shooting, 16 TOs), so I imagine South Carolina will bother them too. USC is going to have to do a lot better on offense than WVU did, though, because I don't see Gonzaga getting crushed on the boards again (Gonzaga is generally a great rebounding team).

Gonzaga will probably be something like a 5-8 point favorite. They played a lot of great teams during non-con this year and beat all of them.
Method Man
Pumpkinhead said:

Tend to agree but didn't see USC getting past a lot of teams they got past. They have to get the giant in foul trouble.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

but really arguing about that seems ridiculous because a Final Four run is more than worth a rebuilding job for awhile after.

Yeah, I mean we can get back to arguing later, but right now still popping in during the Elite Eight to tell us about Frank Martin's recruiting just kind of seems really silly.
Double Diamond
All I know is Martins coaching and recruiting has led to a final 4. Somethings working.
Method Man
"You play to win the game."
Uncle Jimbo
mazzag said:

I've always thought frank was a good coach. He's been at South Carolina since 2012. Kennedy came here in 2011. His percentage is .565 and BK's is .581. Frank has an e8. Kennedy has a s16. Frank was given a **** sandwich and bk was given a coaches pick to win the b12. It's about sustainability. And FWIW, Scott drew is a dumb ass coach.

Scott Drew has improved dramatically at coaching and player development over the years. He also identified a defensive system that works for him and has stuck to it.

I was one loudest laughers at Drew's coaching ineptitude, but he's not the guy he was a decade ago and deserves a lot of credit for what he's built.

Ugh. I'm gonna go throw up now.
W
AG
one thing for sure about South Carolina and Frank Martin...they earned their trip to the Final Four. Had to beat the #2 seed, #3 seed, and #4 seed to get there.

has Baylor under Scott Drew ever beaten a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed in the NCAA tournament?
GrayMatter
AG
SELL

Did you see the game against USCe? Baylor had no discipline and Scott couldn't come up with any strategy to produce points. USCe was playing good defense but Baylor had the talent to overcome it if they really worked at it.

Scott is a good recruiter but that's about it.

Bryce might be a better coach than Scott.
TXAggie2011
AG
Scott Drew took over a program in crisis. It's now been 10 years since his first NCAA appearance at Baylor.

Over that decade, they've been to the tournament seven times, making the Elite Eight twice and the Sweet 16 two more times.

The results have been good. And when the results have been good long enough, calling someone a terrible coach just starts to ring hollow.

This is the same board that has renewed strong criticism of Bill Self's and Roy Williams' abilities in recent days, so it's not surprising criticism of Scott Drew persists, but it is just starting to seem kind of silly at this point.
JJxvi
AG
I think Drew is Roy Williams-lite, and thats not an insult.
CoachC16
AG
_lefraud_ said:

My favorite part is the argument that "yea, well Kennedy was coaching at small one bid dumpsters", as if Kennedy had a choice in the matter, and was coaching at those schools out of some sort of charity. No credit is due to Martin and other guys for getting "better" jobs than Kennedy.

That's what's so hard about Kennedy and comparing him to others. I've really tried to think of guys that have had similar paths as him, and they're just aren't any. Kudos for him for getting his "dream job", but he's proven, after 6 years now, that he's not a good coach, and that maybe THATS why he was at THREE different one bid schools.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.