SEC basketball on the upswing

4,714 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Hop
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Howland having issues with one of his 4-star rated 2017 recruits. This is a kid that we were trying to get in the mix for at one time.

Quote:

2017 Auburn (AL)/Mississippi State commit C Garrison Brooks has requested a release from his LOI. (HT @ GTuckerHoops)

Update: Howland and the MSU AD are playing hardball and won't release Brooks

Quote:

Garrison Brooks' request of a release from his letter of intent to Mississippi State was denied, and now the Auburn High forward has two options.

"Either go to prep school or (Mississippi) State," he said.

The 6-foot-9 Brooks, a four-star recruit, hasn't said much about the saga, but did confirm, as ESPN reported, that Mississippi State coach Ben Howland wants him to be a Bulldog.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/mississippi_state_garrison_bro.html
Hop
Staff
AG
Refusing a kid's transfer request can't be good for future recruiting. We'll see how this plays out, but rarely does strong-arming a kid work in getting him to stay.
TXAggie2011
AG
Not a transfer request. A request for release from a LOI.

Denials of those happen from time to time.

But Howland has released him from the LOI according to updated stories I am seeing.

The player appealed to the NCAA/NLI committee, which denied the appeal. Howland then released him. I'm not sure of Howland's motivations, but he certainly definitely made a point to the kid about signing a binding document.
mdanyc03
AG
Hop said:

Refusing a kid's transfer request can't be good for future recruiting. We'll see how this plays out, but rarely does strong-arming a kid work in getting him to stay.
Refusing a release from a NLI is actually a normal and common thing to do. He can transfer and sit out a year if he wants. Sounds like they actually did release him in this case. I wouldn't.
Hop
Staff
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Hop said:

Refusing a release from a NLI is actually a normal and common thing to do. He can transfer and sit out a year if he wants. Sounds like they actually did release him in this case. I wouldn't.

Yeah, my mind is going. A&M recruited this kid a while back and I assumed he was already in school.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.