Robert Williams nugget

5,806 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GE
jml2621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
free_mhayden said:

Insurance is a no-brainer, but as has been mentioned before if he's projected Top 15 then this decision would not be financial. If he stays it's because he really likes it here and/or likes his teammates.

If he's projected Top 15 then what data there is shows that he is not likely to help his draft position by staying another year.

That's false. Next year's draft is weak. This may the the strongest HS class since 1979. Although the NBA drafts on potential, RW has some physical development to do that would enhance his stock.

He's a Top 3 pick next year, maybe #1.

RW has quiet leadership skills as well. I see him directing traffic more and more.

Given differences in rookie scale (big bump next year) and potential for endorsements during next year's NCAAT run, RW could come out with $10-20 million more...and that's before the 2nd contract.

The kid is going to be special. I really hope he can enjoy his life as a college student for 1 more year.
SW AG80
AG
The exact same things are posted on every fan board every year about every potential draft pick. It's confirmation bias, fundamental attribution error, and projecting one's own desires onto the athlete in question"

No. That is a summary of what he told his instructor. Additionally, he said he had an agreement with his dad that he would go to the NBA if he was selected in the top 15. Don't know when that conversation took place--this past summer or once his stock began to rise--but that was part of the conversation, also.
Aggie09Derek
AG
When's the last time someone came back for one extra year and got drafted top 1-3?
bobinator
AG
The last non-freshmen in the top three were in '13. Porter and Oladipo
Aggie09Derek
AG
So Porter who went #3, Victor was a junior.
bobinator
AG
He still came back, I'm not sure what difference it makes that he was a junior.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Probably wasn't oozing pro potential and a top 10-15 pick after his freshman year.
Method Man
Wish we didn't use the word "oozing" so much in sports.
Method Man
"Moistened with potential"
bobinator
AG
Saturated IMO
mhayden
txag72 said:

Be prepared to get season tickets early if it happened.

Fairly certain you'll be able to wait until the day before the season starts to get season tickets no matter what happens.
mhayden
jml2621 said:

free_mhayden said:

Insurance is a no-brainer, but as has been mentioned before if he's projected Top 15 then this decision would not be financial. If he stays it's because he really likes it here and/or likes his teammates.

If he's projected Top 15 then what data there is shows that he is not likely to help his draft position by staying another year.

That's false. Next year's draft is weak. This may the the strongest HS class since 1979. Although the NBA drafts on potential, RW has some physical development to do that would enhance his stock.

He's a Top 3 pick next year, maybe #1.

RW has quiet leadership skills as well. I see him directing traffic more and more.

Given differences in rookie scale (big bump next year) and potential for endorsements during next year's NCAAT run, RW could come out with $10-20 million more...and that's before the 2nd contract.

The kid is going to be special. I really hope he can enjoy his life as a college student for 1 more year.

While your pie in the sky optimism is nice, it's not realistic at all.

Again, the data is out there for anyone that wants to actually do the research instead of just posting hopes and pie-in-the-sky scenarios. If you're a lottery pick, chances are if you return to school your draft slot isn't going to go up.

Combine that with the delaying his first big free agency contract by one year and from a financial standpoint a lottery pick returning for another year is lessening his expected value.

If he comes back, it's because he wants to spend another year in Aggieland and likes his teammates -- not because it makes sense financially.

As others have pointed out, you see this with most potential high draft picks and it typically ends up the same -- friends, teachers, tweets, etc... all giving hope that the player might be coming back, but the player can't turn down that $$$ and for good reason -- it would be stupid to do so.
hoya-ag
AG
now it is all about getting to that second contract as fast as possible. if he stays, it won't be based on finances.
MallalieuAg
AG
Ajm1114 said:

I have a friend who's close to some basketball managers on the team, and from all account Robert's been saying he's staying for an another year. Now of course, we'll see if that tune changes when the GM's come calling and get into his ear. I'm sure it'll be a good fight to keep him, but hopefully he sticks with it!
He's gone.
Hop
Staff
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Not going to happen unless momma decides he's staying.

Mikesyracuse1
And momma wants him to stay...
mikesyracuse1
Hop said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
Hop
Staff
AG
hoya-ag said:

now it is all about getting to that second contract as fast as possible. if he stays, it won't be based on finances.
And that's what we've been saying. He still may eventually go pro, but as I've been saying his situation is a little different. Unlike most one-and-dones who know in advance they are only playing one year and have their agent and entire personnel team in place before stepping foot on a college court, Williams has none of that. Nobody had him pegged for a one-and-done. He looked to be a 3-4 year player from a very small, isolated town near Caddo Lake.

Robert had offers his last year in high school to transfer to a bigger school for his senior year either one of those elite private basketball factories or go to a big school in Houston where his dad lives. He chose to stay in Vivian and play at North Caddo HS because that's where his mom and friends were and he wanted to be loyal to his community.

Like I said, he may eventually go for financial reasons, but I'm telling you I've heard the same thing as the OP from friends who heard it straight from his mouth as recently as this past weekend. Maybe he is pulling people's legs or telling Aggie friends what they want to hear, or maybe he honestly feels that way now, but that may change when an NBA GM says he will draft him with the 10th pick.

We'll see what happens, but it's not a foregone conclusion that he's leaving....yet.

Serious Lee
i really dont get why people are so jaded over this. Is it because of DeAndre, who was hyped as a one-and-done- for 3 years prior to stepping foot at A&M? Some even compare him to myles garrett which is ludicrous. Its at best a 50-50 shot on what hes planning but i think hes coming back and im not known for optimism.
TangoMike
SW AG80 said:

The exact same things are posted on every fan board every year about every potential draft pick. It's confirmation bias, fundamental attribution error, and projecting one's own desires onto the athlete in question"

No. That is a summary of what he told his instructor. Additionally, he said he had an agreement with his dad that he would go to the NBA if he was selected in the top 15. Don't know when that conversation took place--this past summer or once his stock began to rise--but that was part of the conversation, also.

Yes, it is. You can defend your honor with what you heard 4th handed, but it's still the same thing posted every time.

The Zoo had a friend of a friend who knew a guy on the scout team who knew unequivocally that Garrett was staying.

And #1 jml? Gtfo with that.
Method Man
bobinator said:

Saturated IMO

Also hate the term "nugget".
_lefraud_
AG
Alright, you keep talking about the potential endorsements RW could receive from a tournament run. Do you actually have any examples of guys that have "benefited financially" from deep tournament runs? Not talking about improving draft stock (even that doesn't happen very often).

Fwiw, I know John Wall had huge endorsements lined up before being drafted, but I'm not sure many lottery picks receive endorsements like you describe, and I seriously doubt a player's performance in a 3 week tournament does much for it at all.
Yell Practice
Another Year
TangoMike
_lefraud_ said:

Alright, you keep talking about the potential endorsements RW could receive from a tournament run. Do you actually have any examples of guys that have "benefited financially" from deep tournament runs? Not talking about improving draft stock (even that doesn't happen very often).

Fwiw, I know John Wall had huge endorsements lined up before being drafted, but I'm not sure many lottery picks receive endorsements like you describe, and I seriously doubt a player's performance in a 3 week tournament does much for it at all.
I also can't think of any huge endorsements out there waiting. Some #1-type picks get immediate shoe deals, but it's not the norm.

Ben Simmons got $20 million, but he's been the next Lebron since middle school. Brandon Ingram is getting around $1.9 as the #2 pick. Acie Law got around $500k from Converse way back in 2007 as the #11 pick
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
If this maybe going to be a dad wants him to go, momma prefers he stay one more year kind of thing?
OldSaltAg
When Robert was being recruited didn't he say something about how he and his family value education? He can play one more year, earn more credits, enjoy the benefits of living in Aggieland, and come back in a couple years to finish his degree and get his ring.
Method Man
OldSaltAg said:

When Robert was being recruited didn't he say something about how he and his family value education? He can play one more year, earn more credits, enjoy the benefits of living in Aggieland, and come back in a couple years to finish his degree and get his ring.

That's cute.
PatAg
AG
I think we should just be assuming he will go pro. If he stays, then that will just be a nice surprise
SW AG80
AG
So you are calling the instructor who I have known for almost 40 years a liar? Pretty presumptuous of you.
94chem
Are we more likely to have Caldwell or Williams next season?
SWAGBOT
AG
94chem said:

Are we more likely to have Caldwell or Williams next season?
I haven't heard any talk of Caldwell leaving. If he did, I would be shocked. I think the only quality player that we are really at risk of losing is RW. I've also seen people on here talking about Trocha leaving, but I really don't see that happening.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Trocha is a decent shot to leave....can make decent money playing in Europe and he is fairly old. He's also been in CS for quite awhile.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

and he is fairly old. He's also been in CS for quite awhile.
I remember my dad finally having this conversation with me while I was at A&M.

"Son...it has been 5 1/2 years...don't you think it is time to grow up and get a job now?"
SW AG80
AG
Tribe2013 said:

SW AG80 said:

Yes, it is. You can defend your honor with what you heard 4th handed, but it's still the same thing posted every time.

The Zoo had a friend of a friend who knew a guy on the scout team who knew unequivocally that Garrett was staying.
And #1 jml? Gtfo with that.

Mark one up for the A&M instructor who has a good relationship with her students.

txag72
AG
Quote:

Quote:

txag72 said:
Be prepared to get season tickets early if it happened.

Fairly certain you'll be able to wait until the day before the season starts to get season tickets no matter what happens.
Want to bet??

And I'm sure tribe can come up with a dark lining to this silver cloud.
GE
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Trocha is a decent shot to leave....can make decent money playing in Europe and he is fairly old. He's also been in CS for quite awhile.
He's talked about next year in an interview and when Gabe asked Kennedy about it Kennedy hadn't heard that Trocha might leave and hadn't really even given any thought to the potentiality.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.