Robert Williams nugget

5,804 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GE
Wearamaskaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a friend who's close to some basketball managers on the team, and from all account Robert's been saying he's staying for an another year. Now of course, we'll see if that tune changes when the GM's come calling and get into his ear. I'm sure it'll be a good fight to keep him, but hopefully he sticks with it!
Method Man
Oak Forest Ag
AG
We can only hope..........
94 Killer
AG
It's a lot of money to turn down. I heard a retired NBA player talking about Robert saying how much it would suck being a lottery pick with all that money playing on an NBADL team. I plan on him leaving so I won't be disappointed when he does it. Assume the worst; hope for the best.
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texasamaggies/2017/02/25/texas-am-students-plead-one-done-hopeful-robert-williams-stay-one-year

I agree with this article at the end that we will probably be a pre-season Top-15-ish team in the AP poll for next season if Williams comes back. A junior Tyler Davis and sophomore Robert Williams expected to be an NBA lottery pick will get a ton of pub as one of the best big man combos in the country.

And, from what I've read and watched in terms of Caldwell, if Williams comes back then get ready for some sweet looking Caldwell to Williams lob plays. Caldwell is an elite passer with great court vision.

But as a previous poster has said, I've tried to not have much expectation of Williams coming back. And there is still a lot of time for him to review a decision. But if he does, will be pretty exciting thinking about next year's potential.
damoo80
There were a couple of tweets from him that made me think he is really considering staying. Savion Flagg posted about the maroon madness dunk contest for next year, and RW responded by saying he has a couple still in his bag.

Then he also retweeted a picture of a sign that said Williams/Caldwell in reference to next year.

I am sure he is telling people he is coming back and intends to return, but after the season is over will be the true test to see what he decides.
Pumpkinhead
AG
damoo80 said:

There were a couple of tweets from him that made me think he is really considering staying. Savion Flagg posted about the maroon madness dunk contest for next year, and RW responded by saying he has a couple still in his bag.

Then he also retweeted a picture of a sign that said Williams/Caldwell in reference to next year.

I am sure he is telling people he is coming back and intends to return, but after the season is over will be the true test to see what he decides.
At minimum, if this smoke is legit and given his tweets, it shows that Williams is probably at least having a good time in Aggieland and is generally happy with College Station, his college teammates and coaches, and who he might be playing with next season in college. Some kids just flat out have no interest being in college, including having to deal with going to classes, and thus are looking to get out as fast possible.

I agree though that still a long way to go before the 'true test' occurs. We've seen lots of cases where players seem torn between coming back and going pro, and ultimately choose to go pro. It is a lot of money to turn down.
redsox34
AG
Can we get him insurance like in football?
Pumpkinhead
AG
redsox34 said:

this is the kind of article (last year when projected lottery pick Ivan Rabb returned to school) that we will have to cross our fingers will be published in late April about Robert Williams.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/25/ivan-rabb-california-golden-bears-returning

I would assume if Williams came back that an insurance policy would be taken out to protect himself against career ending injury.
The Collective
AG
Please. Please. Please.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
That's a good example, but it also brings up another point. Rabb fell 11 stops in a recent mock draft, he lost money with his decision, I want the best for our guys, so it that means leaving early to secure a big contract than so be it. The only benefit that might come from being drafted later is that he lands with a good team with a good coach in order to further his development, rather than he goes to a dumpster fire of a franchise.
CypressAg09
AG
Ajm1114 said:

That's a good example, but it also brings up another point. Rabb fell 11 stops in a recent mock draft, he lost money with his decision, I want the best for our guys, so it that means leaving early to secure a big contract than so be it. The only benefit that might come from being drafted later is that he lands with a good team with a good coach in order to further his development, rather than he goes to a dumpster fire of a franchise.
I don't see that happening with Williams. I think he is still projected in the draft mostly off athleticism and potential, and one more year in college isn't going to hurt those.
agfan1030
CypressAg09 said:

I don't see that happening with Williams. I think he is still projected in the draft mostly off athleticism and potential, and one more year in college isn't going to hurt those.
Was my first thought, too.
TangoMike
CypressAg09 said:

Ajm1114 said:

Right now he's being projected based on potential. After one college season, there is nothing to indicate that potential might never materialize. If he does not improve next season (footwork, shooting, defense outside of blocks), or even worse regresses, then the book will be out that he's a great athlete without much skill potential. That will significantly hurt his draft stock, even if the class next year is projected to be weaker.

There's a ton of risk in turning down a draft position. Davonte Fitzgerald went from "athlete with real potential" to nothing with one freak untouched injury.

See also: Tyreke Evans, Stromile Swift, Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph, Glenn Robinson III, Jordan McRae, the Harrison twins, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, Willie Warren, Taj Gibson, Chase Budinger,
Yell Practice
50-50 ??
mallen
AG
If I'm not mistaken I believe that Texas A&M is allowed to cover premiums for an insurance policy should Williams get injured.
TangoMike
mallen said:

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Texas A&M is allowed to cover premiums for an insurance policy should Williams get injured.
There is no way that's accurate. That would be the most obvious backdoor payment in NCAA history
mazzag
AG
nm
Know Your Enemy
AG
THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS SO I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IT.
mikesyracuse1
Not going to happen unless momma decides he's staying.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
The thing about judging guys that come back is that you never know for sure where they really would have been drafted had they gone. Just because they're projected as a top pick, doesn't mean they actually would have been once the scouts got to see them up close.

There's definitely guys that have been hurt by coming back, but that's just something to keep in mind.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Not going to happen unless momma decides he's staying.

Mikesyracuse1

Mike, any insight on where momma's preference may be leaning as of late Feb?
Mikeyshooter
AG
And how deep is the draft next year? This draft is widely considered one of the deepest drafts in years which obviously hurts Rabb.
SW AG80
AG
I have a friend who teaches at A&M and had RW in class last fall. She said that RW loves A&M, his teammates and college life. That all sounds promising.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Main thing that would make him go pro this year is he would be one year closer to his first contract after the rookie one ends. That in itself negates any potential better earnings by staying another year and hopefully improving his draft stock.
bingram1230
AG
I think part of the reason Rabb lost 11 spots is because this draft is stronger than last years. Next year should be weaker so that might help Robert at least maintain his current spot. His performance of course also matters.
Pumpkinhead
AG
SW AG80 said:

I have a friend who teaches at A&M and had RW in class last fall. She said that RW loves A&M, his teammates and college life. That all sounds promising.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, posts like this one and the OP, and RW's tweets to guys like Caldwell and Flagg, seem to be some indicators that there is nothing about College Station that is driving him away. He seems to be a happy college athlete who likes his school, teammates, coaches, etc.

But at the end of the day, the money is still more likely than not to pull him away.
TangoMike
Pumpkinhead said:

SW AG80 said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, posts like this one and the OP, and RW's tweets to guys like Caldwell and Flagg, seem to be some indicators that there is nothing about College Station that is driving him away. He seems to be a happy college athlete who likes his school, teammates, coaches, etc.

But at the end of the day, the money is still more likely than not to pull him away.

The exact same things are posted on every fan board every year about every potential draft pick. It's confirmation bias, fundamental attribution error, and projecting one's own desires onto the athlete in question
mallen
AG
Tribe2013 said:

mallen said:

There is no way that's accurate. That would be the most obvious backdoor payment in NCAA history
Apparently, schools are allowed to use student assistance funds to pay premiums for student athletes who delay entering the draft:

Quote:

In 2014, the NCAA created a waiver that allows players to borrow against their future earnings to pay loss-of-value insurance premiums. (Previously, they could only borrow against future earnings to pay for total disability insurance.) Shortly before that, some schools began dipping into their NCAA-approved Student Assistance Funds to pay the premiums. Texas A&M paid the premium for offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi in 2014 after associate athletic director Justin Moore and assistant compliance director Brad Barnes thoroughly researched the policies and checked with the NCAA to ensure they were allowed to use the Student Assistance Funds.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/18/why-loss-value-insurance-policies-becoming-more-common
mhayden
Insurance is a no-brainer, but as has been mentioned before if he's projected Top 15 then this decision would not be financial. If he stays it's because he really likes it here and/or likes his teammates.

If he's projected Top 15 then what data there is shows that he is not likely to help his draft position by staying another year.
TangoMike
Well apparently I was wrong, but that is mind-blowing
Tobias Funke
AG
"Bull**** like tonight is why I can't wait to stay in College Station"

-RW tweet that you guys probably didn't see late last night
txag72
AG
For real? And what happened last night? Or some kind of Manziel troll?
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

redsox34 said:

this is the kind of article (last year when projected lottery pick Ivan Rabb returned to school) that we will have to cross our fingers will be published in late April about Robert Williams.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/25/ivan-rabb-california-golden-bears-returning

I would assume if Williams came back that an insurance policy would be taken out to protect himself against career ending injury.
Correct.

Keeping my fingers crossed. If RW comes back next year's team is a matchup nightmare.

txag72
AG
Be prepared to get season tickets early if it happened.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.