Kennedy's Gotta Go

10,287 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PaRappa
AggieTFA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would be surprised if we fired Kennedy.

I'm not trying to defend him, but winning our school's first conference championship since the 80s probably brought him some more time.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
jml2621
Diet Cokehead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Kennedy is a good man and an asset to our university. However, he has been a disappointment as a basketball ball coach. He has recruited very well and gotten talent to A&M.

Let's hope that if he doesn't coach after this season that he remains close to or a part of the program!
I watched him closely last night. The physical symptoms of Parkinson's are really beginning to show. I wonder if the stress and rigor of coaching at this level is a detriment to his health?

The stress can't help. One of the things we do not know...most of the time Parkinson's is not accompanied by cognitive decline. But sometimes it is. It may be best for BK's health to be reassigned within the AD...

Why not just fired because he hasn't performed up to the standards of the job? A&M doesn't owe him a lifetime contract in some cushy AD role just because he got sick. He's been compensated more than fairly throughout his time here.

We're not firing Kennedy a year away from an SEC regular season crown...and with Parkinson's.

His buyout is too high with the Sumlin problem looming.

BK would accept reassignment, where we don't have to come up with a large bolus of capital. We pay out the duration of the contract, while on staff (ex. recruiting consultation). Cover medical beyond contract sunset date.

It's a win/win.

Pumpkinhead
AG
jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Kennedy is a good man and an asset to our university. However, he has been a disappointment as a basketball ball coach. He has recruited very well and gotten talent to A&M.

Let's hope that if he doesn't coach after this season that he remains close to or a part of the program!
I watched him closely last night. The physical symptoms of Parkinson's are really beginning to show. I wonder if the stress and rigor of coaching at this level is a detriment to his health?

The stress can't help. One of the things we do not know...most of the time Parkinson's is not accompanied by cognitive decline. But sometimes it is. It may be best for BK's health to be reassigned within the AD...

There was thread after thread on the TexAgs basketball board discussing Parkinsons and coaching stress and posters saying that Kennedy was showing symptoms.....5 years ago during the 2011-2012 season.
75AG
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

I Kennedy is a good man and an asset to our university. However, he has been a disappointment as a basketball ball coach. He has recruited very well and gotten talent to A&M.

There were threads and threads on Parkinsons and coaching stress and posters saying that Kennedy was showing symptoms.....6 years ago in the 2011-2012 season.
I couldn't care less about about threads from 5 years ago. His physical symptoms last night were quite visible. Whether or not it affects his coaching ability was not my point. I was expressing concern about living with Parkinson's with a very stressful job.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

There was thread after thread on the TexAgs basketball board discussing Parkinsons and coaching stress and posters saying that Kennedy was showing symptoms.....5 years ago during the 2011-2012 season.
That was 5 years ago.

Diseases like Parkinson's progress without a cure.. The point here is that Hop has noticed a change during the last 5 years. Thus the questions posed are

1. Has there been a discernible decline in health?

2. Is it affecting his coaching?

Reasonable questions 5 years ago and reasonable now.
jml2621
75AG said:

Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

I Kennedy is a good man and an asset to our university. However, he has been a disappointment as a basketball ball coach. He has recruited very well and gotten talent to A&M.

There were threads and threads on Parkinsons and coaching stress and posters saying that Kennedy was showing symptoms.....6 years ago in the 2011-2012 season.
I couldn't care less about about threads from 5 years ago. His physical symptoms last night were quite visible. Whether or not it affects his coaching ability was not my point. I was expressing concern about living with Parkinson's with a very stressful job.

All good and reasonable points.
Ag_EE_88
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

I don't know how he has been a disappointment. Who on here thought we'd ever have a basketball championship being in the same conference as Kentucky?
Method Man
Omg
Method Man
One tourney in six years is a terrible terrible awful disappointment.
Pumpkinhead
AG
75AG said:

Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

And I was saying literally these exact same kind of posts were happening 5 years ago. XL2Win used to logon 5 years ago and talk about how he coild see his hands shaking.

In the years since then, articles have been written talking about Kennedy is exercising every day, following a strict diet, sleeping 8 hours every night, etc. ironically because he does all that he may be in better overall health than many of the posters over 50 who post on TexAgs.
Pumpkinhead
AG
jml2621 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

That was 5 years ago.

Diseases like Parkinson's progress without a cure.. The point here is that Hop has noticed a change during the last 5 years. Thus the questions posed are

They are reasonable points, but I will also point out that there were a lot less discussion about Parkinsons last year.

Sports fan message boards like TexAgs are really hard on losing coaches, so it is hard to know how much of this stuff is people seeing what they want to see, deliberately or maybe not even realizing what they are doing (I.e., Kennedy health now finally noticeably declining so a coaching change can occur).

Yes, maybe somebody like Hop or Logan will perhaps speak up with more insight, but most of posts on this topic having typically been very speculative by nature.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I have been very vocal about the fact that I think Kennedy shouldn't be the coach anymore, and I think it is past time for him to be replaced. With that being said, it is obvious that his disease has progressed and he should be given a role in our program for as long as he is able. I stand by the fact that he's a good man and someone that I'm proud to have as a part of our athletic department. Just maybe not as a coach anymore.
sleepybeagle
AG
Agree with Chicken Ranch on above post. He's a good man and I wish him all the best!
NyAggie
AG
kennedy is a not a good D1 basketball coach.

A&M can keep him as long as they want and as long as he wants to be here, but to expect better results than what we have seen in his 6 years here is foolish at best.

the longer he stays, the smaller the crowds and the less interest there is in Aggie hoops by the fanbase.

Diet Cokehead
AG
Why should being a good man afford him the opportunity to stay around as long as he wants? A&M isn't a charity case. Just shows that we don't have the mentality to win. Mediocrity is accepted and even praised as long as you are a good person.
Rocco S
Diet Cokehead said:

Why should being a good man afford him the opportunity to stay around as long as he wants? A&M isn't a charity case. Just shows that we don't have the mentality to win. Mediocrity is accepted and even praised as long as you are a good person.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Maybe he could do a good job running basketball operations? Maybe he can keep the locker room clean and smelling nice?

IDK, just a thought.
PaRappa
He will have a place in the AD, and still get his full contract. Do not feel sorry for Kennedy.

The question is does he move on his own or do we eventually have to push him in that direction. I can say on good authority he was really considering making this his last year right before/early on in the season. No one really knows for sure now. We can keep our fingers crossed.
mhayden
A Texags staff member has recently stated there is no chance at this point that Kennedy is stepping down after the season.

Take that for what it's worth.
PaRappa
To be fair, texags will never break that sort of news. That is just not their bag.

Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

A Texags staff member has recently stated there is no chance at this point that Kennedy is stepping down after the season.

Take that for what it's worth.
If that is the case, then I will cross my fingers that it is because Robert Williams whispered in his ear that he is coming back and JJ Caldwell has looked Lonzo Ball-esque in practices.
bobinator
AG
PaRappa said:

To be fair, texags will never break that sort of news. That is just not their bag.
Actually I would expect them to break it if it actually happens. That's the kind of thing that everyone would hold the line on and wait to announce the right way, which is usually TexAgs' forte.
PaRappa

Quote:

Actually I would expect them to break it if it actually happens. That's the kind of thing that everyone would hold the line on and wait to announce the right way, which is usually TexAgs' forte.
That is what I meant. As you said, they will not announce it until it happens and they sure as hell won't speculate on it.

I am surprised that Hop even mentions that Kennedy has changed since he was first diagnosed.
Method Man
He will be back.
Yell Practice
Yes, he will be back, IMO.
mikesyracuse1
PaRappa said:

He will have a place in the AD, and still get his full contract. Do not feel sorry for Kennedy.

The question is does he move on his own or do we eventually have to push him in that direction. I can say on good authority he was really considering making this his last year right before/early on in the season. No one really knows for sure now. We can keep our fingers crossed.

This was the plan long before this year.

Mikesyracuse1
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

Because we are different from every other University. You just can't understand that from the outside looking in
BQ_90
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Because we are different from every other University. You just can't understand that from the outside looking in
I sure the **** can't understand from the inside looking inside.
Rocco S
BQ_90 said:

Diet Cokehead said:

jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

jml2621 said:

75AG said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

That was 5 years ago.

They are reasonable points, but I will also point out that there were a lot less discussion about Parkinsons last year.

Sports fan message boards like TexAgs are really hard on losing coaches, so it is hard to know how much of this stuff is people seeing what they want to see, deliberately or maybe not even realizing what they are doing (I.e., Kennedy health now finally noticeably declining so a coaching change can occur).

Yes, maybe somebody like Hop or Logan will perhaps speak up with more insight, but most of posts on this topic having typically been very speculative by nature.

Why would there be? We did not have Insiders saying there had been a visible change, unlike now. Since Hop is courtside every game, and you're 5000 miles away...guess where I'm going to side?

jml2621
Rocco S said:

BQ_90 said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Aggieland = Through the Looking Glass?
fightinag
A n M

Accepting n Mediocre
PaRappa

Quote:

Why would there be? We did not have Insiders saying there had been a visible change, unlike now. Since Hop is courtside every game, and you're 5000 miles away...guess where I'm going to side?

This.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.