too painful to watch

4,681 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
sellthefarm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
t - cam said:

sellthefarm said:

t - cam said:

DoubleOEight said:

...lack of coaching these quality young men is just dereliction of duty from president of university on down!

Let me know what specifically you would have done differently with this personnel.

Hustle.
Value the ball.
Quit playing Collins except for a minute or two to give gilder a break.
Basically only pull one starter at a time unless they're in foul trouble. Some of the rotations have been laughable.
Work the officials. If it didn't work every other coach in America wouldn't do it.
Quit letting Tony jack up threes. He's shooting a terrible percentage.
Did I mention hustle. I swear we play at 80%.

Work the officials isn't a thing.
You honestly got Lack of hustle of of this game?
This game and every other game this year, until the closing minutes when we decide to give a damn. The SEC, as a league, plays half-hearted most the time, but we are the worst. We have better talent than most the SEC and at least half of the Big12, yet we are one of the worst teams out of those 24.

Why?
LACK OF EFFORT.

It's fairly easy to see. We play offense, then take about 5 seconds off, then play defense, then take about 5 seconds off, etc, etc.

We are sloppy with the ball, we dribble dribble dribble dribble, cause our offense is slow and lazy and no one can get open, cause they're lazy.

It's awful.
Rocco S
t - cam said:

sellthefarm said:

t - cam said:

DoubleOEight said:

...lack of coaching these quality young men is just dereliction of duty from president of university on down!

Let me know what specifically you would have done differently with this personnel.

Hustle.
Value the ball.
Basically only pull one starter at a time unless they're in foul trouble. Some of the rotations have been laughable.
Work the officials. If it didn't work every other coach in America wouldn't do it.

Ok, you're doing a bit, right? Trolling?

It's either that or you're in BK's circle of church friends that's protecting him.

If you don't know basketball that's fine but surely you can at least identify defensive intensity. If you watched any of our teams under BCG, you saw what that looked like. We aren't anywhere close to that. You can make whatever excuse you want for BK, except not being able to get max effort out of his players. Lack of a point guard, talent, whatever, this team doesn't give max effort for 40 minutes and there is no excuse for that.
Radiant
AG
Does it matter how well this team is coached if they can't hang on to the basketball? How many games does Coach K win with 20+ turnovers?
t - cam
AG
sellthefarm said:

t - cam said:

sellthefarm said:

t - cam said:

DoubleOEight said:

Hustle.
Value the ball.

This game and every other game this year, until the closing minutes when we decide to give a damn. The SEC, as a league, plays half-hearted most the time, but we are the worst. We have better talent than most the SEC and at least half of the Big12, yet we are one of the worst teams out of those 24.

Why?
LACK OF EFFORT.

It's fairly easy to see. We play offense, then take about 5 seconds off, then play defense, then take about 5 seconds off, etc, etc.

We are sloppy with the ball, we dribble dribble dribble dribble, cause our offense is slow and lazy and no one can get open, cause they're lazy.

It's awful.

We are sloppy yes but I can't say we don't try. Kennedy is not a great coach but he generally gets his guys ready to play. Just because the results aren't good doesn't mean lack of effort.
Rocco S
I couldn't disagree more. How did we look ready to play last night?
t - cam
AG
Rocco S said:

t - cam said:

sellthefarm said:

t - cam said:

DoubleOEight said:

Hustle.
Value the ball.

Ok, you're doing a bit, right? Trolling?

It's either that or you're in BK's circle of church friends that's protecting him.

If you don't know basketball that's fine but surely you can at least identify defensive intensity. If you watched any of our teams under BCG, you saw what that looked like. We aren't anywhere close to that. You can make whatever excuse you want for BK, except not being able to get max effort out of his players. Lack of a point guard, talent, whatever, this team doesn't give max effort for 40 minutes and there is no excuse for that.

Here comes the expert opinions.
t - cam
AG
Rocco S said:

I couldn't disagree more. How did we look ready to play last night?

Defensive intensity kept us in that game early when we couldn't buy a bucket.
Rocco S
I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Outside of a few blocked shots our defense is awful.
Rocco S
So if we don't agree with your opinions then we get sarcastically labeled an expert. That's about right given the excuses you're making for BK.
The Collective
AG
Unpredictably, the opposing team doubled down on our posts last night. Coaching continues to not be an issue though.
t - cam
AG
Rocco S said:

So if we don't agree with your opinions then we get sarcastically labeled an expert. That's about right given the excuses you're making for BK.
No, it's when you come on here say stupid crap like "Either you don't watch basketball or you go to church with Kennedy" that makes me assume you must be the basketball expert around here because clearly YOU are the one that doesn't like other people's opinions.
t - cam
AG
Rocco S said:

And for the record I'm getting rid of Kennedy tomorrow if given the choice but I don't like when people come on here and manufacture criticism to pile on.

• He's not a good coach.
  • His players play hard
  • The team is bad.
  • The players have some talent.

These items all exist together on this team.
CapCityAg89
AG
Rocco S said:

And if we don't agree with your opinions than we get labeled an apologist who is only interested in a coache's church attendance.

Both are ridiculous. We ALL want the same thing. A successful basketball team. That's why the dozen or so of us who post here regularly do so.

I honestly think the question is no longer should Kennedy be replaced. Pretty much every poster here thinks that. Pumpkinhead, Bob, probably even Hop. The only difference of opinion is why do we have to read post after post all saying he needs to be fired.
Kemo Sabe
When your offense revolves around throwing the ball around the perimeter until you give up a turnover or you have to put up a bad shot as the shot clock runs expires, You are going to have a lot missed opportunities.

Bk's offense is dreadful to watch. It is time for a change, things are not getting any better.
Rocco S
CapCityAg89 said:

Rocco S said:

And if we don't agree with your opinions than we get labeled an apologist who is only interested in a coache's church attendance.

Both are ridiculous. We ALL want the same thing. A successful basketball team. That's why the dozen or so of us who post here regularly do so.

I honestly think the question is no longer should Kennedy be replaced. Pretty much every poster here thinks that. Pumpkinhead, Bob, probably even Hop. The only difference of opinion is why do we have to read post after post all saying he needs to be fired.
Because, and this goes back to my church comment, BK has engrained himself with a few BMAs who he goes to church with who are likely going to let him stick around as long as he wants. It shouldn't be just about firing BK. It should be about letting the AD do his job and not letting the good ole boy system that's plagued A&M forever continue to run things. We have to get smarter about contracts. There was no reason to up BK after last season. No big program is after him. There was no reason to put a 30 day payout clause in Sumlin's contract, and Childress's contract shouldn't have been upped last year either. We need much more of a cutthroat culture within our athletic department.
Radiant
AG
Rocco S said:

There was no reason to put a 30 day payout clause in Sumlin's contract, and Childress's contract shouldn't have been upped last year either. We need much more of a cutthroat culture within our athletic department.
You must be a lot of fun at parties...
t - cam
AG
Rocco S said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Rocco S said:

Because, and this goes back to my church comment, BK has engrained himself with a few BMAs who he goes to church with who are likely going to let him stick around as long as he wants. It shouldn't be just about firing BK. It should be about letting the AD do his job and not letting the good ole boy system that's plagued A&M forever continue to run things. We have to get smarter about contracts. There was no reason to up BK after last season. No big program is after him. There was no reason to put a 30 day payout clause in Sumlin's contract, and Childress's contract shouldn't have been upped last year either. We need much more of a cutthroat culture within our athletic department.
Honest question. Did you want to fire Kennedy last season? When would this firing have taken place? We know we aren't going to move on mid season so why keep reminding us how unhappy you are?

We just won our league and lost in overtime in the tournament championship game and made the sweet 16 and had the best comeback in tournament history. This season hasn't been very good but you don't get to just ignore last season when evaluating the job of the coach and you certainly don't do something stupid like firing your coach mid season.
Rocco S
I would have fired him after the 2015 season. 4 years, 0 tournament appearances. What you want to do is focus entirely on last year and forget the 4 previous years.
AgsNguyen
AG
We were co champs of the league. Made possible by a wildcat spiking the ball and getting a technical because he misunderstood what was going on. Yes we did make it to the sweet 16 as a high seed needing as you say the greatest comeback in tourney history so we could get out of the round of 32 and get our ass kicked by OU.

This.....after 5 years. This.....after going to the tournament for 6 years in a row before a certain nice guy coach rolled into college station.
Rocco S
"Nice guy coach"

That's it right there. If he had BCG's lifestyle he'd have been gone a lone time ago.

We put so much emphasis on "nice guy" and not nearly enough on winning.

That's why we let RC stick around when his time had clearly been up for a while, that's how Sherman gets hired.
t - cam
AG
Rocco S said:

I would have fired him after the 2015 season. 4 years, 0 tournament appearances. What you want to do is focus entirely on last year and forget the 4 previous years.
My point is that last year bought him this year. You don't get to go back and fire him for the first 4 years. It was the best year in our history and thus deserved an encore.

Now I agree he should be let go after the year, I don't think people are arguing this point. I'm just arguing your manufactured excuses for why it should happen. There's already plenty of reasons Kennedy should be let go, not need to make stuff up to really hammer home the point.

Also I'm pretty sure Kenned will be gone next year so I don't get who you are trying to prove.
Rocco S
Go back and look at my post at 9:53. That's why. He never should have gotten last year. He got it based on being a nice guy. 06-07 was better than last year and arguing that would be ridiculous
Method Man
Radiant said:

Does it matter how well this team is coached if they can't hang on to the basketball? How many games does Coach K win with 20+ turnovers?

Dumb
Method Man
Rocco S said:

Go back and look at my post at 9:53. That's why. He never should have gotten last year. He got it based on being a nice guy. 06-07 was better than last year and arguing that would be ridiculous

Absolutely. Don't even bring up conference championship.
Method Man
He's made the tourney once in six years TCam. Four of those six years were flat awful.
94chem
Quote:

It was the third best year in our history and thus deserved an encore.
fify
Radiant
AG
Method Man said:

Radiant said:

Dumb
Rob Williams dropped a wide open dunk that could have put the Aggies ahead midway through the second half. Instead Arkansas took the turnover back for points of their own. Another turnover on the ensuing possession and a potential one point lead had become a 6 point deficit.
t - cam
AG
Method Man said:

He's made the tourney once in six years TCam. Four of those six years were flat awful.
Good point and I have already agreed he should be gone.

Last year we had the most wins in our history.
Tied the highest seed in our history
and went as far in the tournament as we had ever gone in our history.

If it wasn't #1 than it was #2 and it is in fact very close.
Deputy Travis Junior
I'd rather win the conference than not, but the SEC was so bad that it diminished the achievement a considerable amount. Only 3 teams got in: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and A&M. Vanderbilt didn't even make the round of 64 but instead ducked out in a play-in game. Kentucky was soundly beaten in the round of 32. We needed the most improbable comeback in the history of the NCAA Tournament to slip by an 11 seed into the Sweet 16, where OU beat the crap out of us. Yea the 2007 team also ducked out in the Sweet 16, but at least they made a game out of it and were agonizingly close to beating a 2 seed and advancing to the Elite Eight.

So yea. The conference was so bad that the 2 co-champs were round of 32 quality and nobody else was even tournament-worthy. Again, I'd rather win it than not, but acting like it was this HUGE accomplishment is a bit of an exaggeration.
Method Man
Radiant said:

Method Man said:

Radiant said:

Dumb
Rob Williams dropped a wide open dunk that could have put the Aggies ahead midway through the second half. Instead Arkansas took the turnover back for points of their own. Another turnover on the ensuing possession and a potential one point lead had become a 6 point deficit.

When the faces change but the sloppiness remains it's the coach.
BQ_90
AG
Method Man said:

Radiant said:

Method Man said:

Radiant said:

Dumb

When the faces change but the sloppiness remains it's the coach.
same issue at Kyle
AggieTFA06
AG
I've watched other TV shows or played more video games to avoid watching the typical carelessness and lack of fundamentals that I've grown accustomed to under Billy Kennedy.

I will never spend another dime on Aggie basketball unless there is a change in attitude. I'm not calling for a change in coach, but I want a change in attitude. I miss last year's team.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Method Man
Hop said:

rgt99 said:

When you have been reading the same threads for six years, I think it's time to cut ties.

As frustrating as some of these basketball posters can be, I really don't want to see them leave.

Underrated joke
PatAg
AG
t - cam said:

Rocco S said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Rocco S said:

Honest question. Did you want to fire Kennedy last season? When would this firing have taken place? We know we aren't going to move on mid season so why keep reminding us how unhappy you are?

We just won our league and lost in overtime in the tournament championship game and made the sweet 16 and had the best comeback in tournament history. This season hasn't been very good but you don't get to just ignore last season when evaluating the job of the coach and you certainly don't do something stupid like firing your coach mid season.
I wanted to fire Kennedy during last season. The team succeeded in spite of him. You throw enough talent on the floor, and you will win.
Rocco S
t - cam said:

Method Man said:

Good point and I have already agreed he should be gone.

Last year we had the most wins in our history.
Tied the highest seed in our history
and went as far in the tournament as we had ever gone in our history.

If it wasn't #1 than it was #2 and it is in fact very close.
I think there is a significant gap. The win @KU, running the sips out of our gym, everyone's favorite Aggie basketball player ever, and a coach Aggieland was in love with. To me, there was a lot more that was memorable about that team.

Just don't try to tell us last year's team is anywhere near the quality of 06-07. In addition to just watching each play, we got ran out of the gym in last year's sweet 16, where the 06-07 team was a hair away from an elite 8.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.