Don't Go Williams!

3,462 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
jml2621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hop said:

I would say it differently. He hasn't made plans to leave yet, and he hasn't ruled out coming back.

From sources that have spoken directly to him over the weekend, it's not a done deal and his draft position isn't the only factor in his decision.

With that said, you still have to feel he'll eventually make the decision to leave.
Thanks Hop!
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

I remember a comment made during the game @Vandy (I think).

Commentator was saying that they had spoken to an NBA scout recently, and that scout had apparently told him that Williams' draft stock had 'possibly gone up too high for his own good'. Said that the higher in the draft you go, then the more likely you will be drafted by a bad team that needs you to play right away. But the scout's opinion was that Robert Williams didn't appear to be a prospect who would be ready to play in NBA games next season. And that because of a greater chance that a high pick to a bad team will get thrown to the wolves regardless, it can be a really rough deal if the kid is not ready.

To be clear. Not my own opinion. Just paraphrasing what I remember hearing during the game broadcast. Cliffnotes version, I think the NBA scout's opinion was basically that it is great to be a lottery pick, but it is even better to be a lottery pick AND ready to be a lottery pick. And the scout didn't think Williams was ready and thus his draft stock 'too high for his own good'.

Again, I think during the @Vandy game but not totally for sure on that. It was fairly recent.

That's generally the comments. IF RW goes this year, I'm not convinced he'd spend some it in the D-League.

Because the draft is so deep this year, we could see via trades some interesting teams as high draft picks next year. Maybe a San Antonio, Boston, Clippers, Houston...
jml2621
bobinator said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I remember a comment made during the game @Vandy (I think).

Commentator was saying that they had spoken to an NBA scout recently, and that scout had apparently told him that Williams' draft stock had 'possibly gone up too high for his own good'. Said that the higher in the draft you go, then the more likely you will be drafted by a bad team that needs you to play right away. But the scout's opinion was that Robert Williams didn't appear to be a prospect who would be ready to play in NBA games next season. And that because of a greater chance that a high pick to a bad team will get thrown to the wolves regardless, it can be a really rough deal if the kid is not ready.

To be clear. Not my own opinion. Just paraphrasing what I remember hearing during the game broadcast. Cliffnotes version, I think the NBA scout's opinion was basically that it is good to be a lottery pick, but it was a lot better to be a lottery pick AND ready to be a lottery pick. And the scout didn't think Williams was ready and thus his draft stock 'too high for his own good'.

Again, I think during the @Vandy game but not totally for sure on that. It was fairly recent.

I heard that and thought it was absolutely stupid. If he's not ready to be a top pick, then he's not a top pick. If a team that picks early, say top ten, won't pick him because he's not ready to play, then he's not a top ten pick.

Unless he's saying that a team will draft him and play him anyway even though they know he's not ready, then he's calling NBA teams stupid.

The NBA does draft on potential, and not necessarily readiness.

RW is still #12 on DraftExpress, so there's no lock on a Top 10 pick...and usually a Euro guy sneaks in there.

RW knows about the influx of talent. He may perceive correctly IMO that he's a Top 3 pick next year, because of physical development and a much weaker draft in 2018.

Yell Practice
One More Year
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.