Don't Go Williams!

3,459 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
bmoore52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't Reed Rowdies start a campaign with signs etc to convince Robert Williams not to leave?!
It worked with Roy Williams (for a year) at KU... Signs all over "Don't go Roy"... Worth a try!!
chipotle
If every student brought a sign I don't think all six of them would be enough to convince him to stay.
bmoore52
True. Pathetic that with only 2 games left, announced upper decks could move down to student section seats at the Auburn game. No student support...
Bunk Moreland
Bruh. He gone. Appreciate the moments now.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Best front court in the conference and can't be over .500 in conference
t - cam
AG
I'll promise you this. If Kennedy is fired he is for sure gone.
Raven
S
Well Coach Kennedy is not getting fired , so we have that going for us.
Olsen
AG
If RW leaves the program, I won't blame him. He has every right to leave if he chooses to do so.
GigEmATL
AG
There is something like this already in the works.
Serious Lee
t - cam said:

if we got buzz i doubt many would oppose that trade. id even throw in TTM
The Collective
AG
t - cam said:

This argument seems familiar.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Love what Williams is doing for us, but if jettisoning Kennedy means Williams moves on...so be it. Gotta lose a battle (Williams leaving) to win the war (Kennedy leaving).

I want so badly to like Coach Kennedy. He seems like a genuinely nice man who loves A&M. But geez...I'm thinking he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Watching his teams play makes me bleed from my ears. It just hurts so bad to have to sit through 2 hours of Kennedy-coached basketball.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Method Man
Robert Williams is just following most Aggies lead. He's got better things to do with his time than stay involved with Aggie basketball.
_lefraud_
AG
Are there really people on here that believe he will turned down guaranteed millions to come back for another year?
TangoMike
t - cam said:

Only superstars get a voice in coaching decisions, and even that rarely works out
paddyv71
AG
People who think Robert Williams will stay are the same ones who thought Garrett would stay. He's projected as a top 10 pick. While I would love it - because it would make us on paper one of the best TAMU teams we've had, it's not going to happen.
APHIS AG
bmoore52 said:

Can't Reed Rowdies start a campaign with signs etc to convince Robert Williams not to leave?!
It worked with Roy Williams (for a year) at KU... Signs all over "Don't go Roy"... Worth a try!!
And why should he stay? We have a coach who cannot coach and the prospects of ever reaching the NCAA's in the foreseeable future are slim.
bobinator
AG
paddyv71 said:

People who think Robert Williams will stay are the same ones who thought Garrett would stay. He's projected as a top 10 pick. While I would love it - because it would make us on paper one of the best TAMU teams we've had, it's not going to happen.
I don't think anyone on here thinks Williams will stay if he's actually being told he's a guaranteed first round pick, nor should he.

There are, however, some of us that don't necessarily think that's the case.

What is really helpful is that last year the NCAA moved the withdrawal deadline to after the NBA combine. Williams can go workout in front of actual scouts who will give him feedback and then talk to actual teams and then have the ability to make a much more informed decision than players from a few years ago.

If he gets the grade, good for him, we'll wish him luck.
FTAG 2000
AG
t - cam said:

No player is worth keeping around a mediocre coach for another year. It's a loser's argument.
t - cam
AG
AG 2000' said:

t - cam said:

No player is worth keeping around a mediocre coach for another year. It's a loser's argument.

I agree, was just pointing out another nail in the Williams Aggie coffin.
old yeller
AG
t - cam said:

Oh, then we MUST keep Kennedy
t - cam
AG
old yeller said:

t - cam said:

Oh, then we MUST keep Kennedy
Not what I was implying. Just pointing out that I think it would pretty much guarantee that he leaves.
USNAggie44
I hope he leaves so that he can get the $ and improve
Yell Practice
damoo80

Williams was excited to see this at the game...he pointed to family/friend to take a picture of it. Hopefully there is more chants of "one more year" and signs for him this weekend.
bobinator
AG
There was something a little poetic about the student holding the one more year banner being the only student in the second deck.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hop seems to be hearing things that RW may indeed be planning on staying another year.
Hop
Staff
AG
I would say it differently. He hasn't made plans to leave yet, and he hasn't ruled out coming back.

From sources that have spoken directly to him over the weekend, it's not a done deal and his draft position isn't the only factor in his decision.

With that said, you still have to feel he'll eventually make the decision to leave.
Yell Practice
possible
Yell Practice
BK Stays

RW 50/50 ?
CapCityAg89
AG
Hop said:

I would say it differently. He hasn't made plans to leave yet, and he hasn't ruled out coming back.

From sources that have spoken directly to him over the weekend, it's not a done deal and his draft position isn't the only factor in his decision.

With that said, you still have to feel he'll eventually make the decision to leave.

MAN. I hope that other factor is indeed Mama. Hard to say no to her.
PatAg
AG
and you never know when a player is truly enjoying the college experience...or feels like the next year a team could be special and make a run in the tourney.

always hard to turn down millions of dollars though
Pumpkinhead
AG
I remember a comment made during the game @Vandy (I think).

Commentator was saying that they had spoken to an NBA scout recently, and that scout had apparently told him that Williams' draft stock had 'possibly gone up too high for his own good'. Said that the higher in the draft you go, then the more likely you will be drafted by a bad team that needs you to play right away. But the scout's opinion was that Robert Williams didn't appear to be a prospect who would be ready to play in NBA games next season. And that because of a greater chance that a high pick to a bad team will get thrown to the wolves regardless, it can be a really rough deal if the kid is not ready.

To be clear. Not my own opinion. Just paraphrasing what I remember hearing during the game broadcast. Cliffnotes version, I think the NBA scout's opinion was basically that it is great to be a lottery pick, but it is even better to be a lottery pick AND ready to be a lottery pick. And the scout didn't think Williams was ready and thus his draft stock 'too high for his own good'.

Again, I think during the @Vandy game but not totally for sure on that. It was fairly recent.
bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

I remember a comment made during the game @Vandy (I think).

Commentator was saying that they had spoken to an NBA scout recently, and that scout had apparently told him that Williams' draft stock had 'possibly gone up too high for his own good'. Said that the higher in the draft you go, then the more likely you will be drafted by a bad team that needs you to play right away. But the scout's opinion was that Robert Williams didn't appear to be a prospect who would be ready to play in NBA games next season. And that because of a greater chance that a high pick to a bad team will get thrown to the wolves regardless, it can be a really rough deal if the kid is not ready.

To be clear. Not my own opinion. Just paraphrasing what I remember hearing during the game broadcast. Cliffnotes version, I think the NBA scout's opinion was basically that it is good to be a lottery pick, but it was a lot better to be a lottery pick AND ready to be a lottery pick. And the scout didn't think Williams was ready and thus his draft stock 'too high for his own good'.

Again, I think during the @Vandy game but not totally for sure on that. It was fairly recent.

I heard that and thought it was absolutely stupid. If he's not ready to be a top pick, then he's not a top pick. If a team that picks early, say top ten, won't pick him because he's not ready to play, then he's not a top ten pick.

Unless he's saying that a team will draft him and play him anyway even though they know he's not ready, then he's calling NBA teams stupid.

Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Unless he's saying that a team will draft him and play him anyway even though they know he's not ready, then he's calling NBA teams stupid.

Maybe an organization like the Sacramento Kings was on the scout's mind at the time.

Trading Demarcus Cousins to the Pelicans for basically Buddy Hield in return has had all the talking heads blasting them as the worst run franchise in professional sports.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.