Bring Billy Clyde back!

5,993 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by peace
Yell Practice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both BCG and Turgeon did a great job at Aggieland. Like to see a group like that again.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
jphelmet said:

TheOC16 said:

Rocco S said:

Austin Ag said:

Turge -- at A&M, 4 straight 24+ win seasons. 4 straight NCAA appearances.

Turge -- Terps are 16-2 and top 25 this year. Finished #12 last year.#16 the year before that.

I just don't understand how people thought he was a bad coach and that he "left the cupboard empty" for BK.
BK took over a team predicted to win the b12 and won 4 conference games that year. The only people that claim he inherited a bare cupboard are those that are sympathetic to him for his character/condition/something church related. This is what happens when donors get too friendly with coaches. The donor-coach relationship should remain professional and ideally there wouldn't be a relationship at all.
I'm not asking this as a bash to Kennedy.

What are the character traits that you mention other people reference? I have heard this before. I'm not insinuating that I think he has poor character. I've just never really seen evidence of anything that made me respect his character any more than the average D1 head coach. I genuinely am curious; if nothing else, it would be nice to hear something nice about the man for a change.
My dad met BK at an FCA meeting a couple years back. My father had just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. A mutual friend told BK and introduced them. Coach took about 20 minutes with my dad, and greatly encouraged him, telling him about medications and expectations. He invited him to come and spend a day with him after the season. BK seems like a very kind and gracious man, that goes out of his way to help others.

That said, I obviously think highly of him as a person. I think he is a below-average coach and its definitely time to move on. You don't keep a coach in a major D-1 program because he is a great guy.
SEC Coach of the year - C0-champs of the SEC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yell Practice
"You don't keep a coach in a major D-1 program because he is a great guy."

BK has done a good job at selling that.
4ZORRO
AG
To all of you. Do you realize what we lost from last years team? We are in a rebuilding year, Point Guard talent is on the way.
Hop
Staff
AG
Rocco S said:

Austin Ag said:

Turge -- Terps are 16-2 and top 25 this year. Finished #12 last year.#16 the year before that.

I just don't understand how people thought he was a bad coach and that he "left the cupboard empty" for BK.
BK took over a team predicted to win the b12 and won 4 conference games that year. The only people that claim he inherited a bare cupboard are those that are sympathetic to him for his character/condition/something church related. This is what happens when donors get too friendly with coaches. The donor-coach relationship should remain professional and ideally there wouldn't be a relationship at all.

Look, if you want to fire him for botching the point guard position this season, more power to you. If you want to fire him because his year 2 and 3 was mediocre...more power to you.

But those of you that continue to use year 1 as a reason why he's a bad coach and should be fired simply decide to ignore the facts of the season. He inherited a talented but very thin roster...a roster w only 10 scholarship players. Of those 10, at least three never had a productive season as a collegian...Naji Hibbert, Daniel Alexander, and Keith Davis.

Then Kourtney Roberson was sidelined for most of the season with a heart condition. Middleton suffered a knee injury early in the season and he was never the same the rest of the season when he finally returned.

So that left the new staff with five healthy scholarship players that were productive. That left walk-ons like Baird and Jarrod Johns to play significant minutes.

Roll all that in the context that a new coach was diagnosed with a serious disease and was not with the team for ANY preseason fall practices and implementation was left to a new staff that had never worked w Kennedy before.

That's not an excuse. That's fact. The first year was a mess for reasons that couldnt be controlled.

The point guard fiasco is a more credible reason to make a change than what happened in 2011-2012. Turgeon was never a particularly good recruiter and his later rosters with his players was usually thin, but he found a way to get into the NCAA's as a No. 8 or 9 seed with good floor work. He was a good X's and O's coach but a very average recruiter. He usually signed three-star recruits with an occasional low-four-star sprinkled in.

He was a good coach, but not a great coach because he didn't sustain the talent pool of the previous coach during his four years at A&M.

The projected roster next year that a new coach may inherit will be much stronger than the roster Turgeon left when he took the Maryland job.
TempleAg97
AG
Rocco S said:

Austin Ag said:

Absolutely perfectly stated.
wacarnolds
AG
CrottyKid said:

Jeff Boals is who we need. Obviously, for that reason, it won't happen.

Why do we need Jeff Boals?
jml2621
Aggie said:

Sad situation with BCG.
I hope he is healthy now.

I don't think the powers that be would ever hire him back at A&M.
But he had this program absolutely rocking when he was here.
Aggie basketball was the cool thing on campus. Turge was a great coach and kept things rolling but BCG was a rock star.
I miss those days. Went to all the games.
I have been to 1 freaking game since BK has been here.. And I live less than 10 minutes from Reed. Even last year when we were decent I couldn't get into it.
BK has just sucked the life outta Aggie basketball for me.

I miss those kinds diving on the court to get loose balls. Aggies appreciate hustle and defense. Those teams BLED it. Acid Law and the Man from Normangee. They had character.
jml2621
Hop said:

Rocco S said:

Austin Ag said:

Look, if you want to fire him for botching the point guard position this season, more power to you. If you want to fire him because his year 2 and 3 was mediocre...more power to you.

But those of you that continue to use year 1 as a reason why he's a bad coach and should be fired simply decide to ignore the facts of the season. He inherited a talented but very thin roster...a roster w only 10 scholarship players. Of those 10, at least three never had a productive season as a collegian...Naji Hibbert, Daniel Alexander, and Keith Davis.

Then Kourtney Roberson was sidelined for most of the season with a heart condition. Middleton suffered a knee injury early in the season and he was never the same the rest of the season when he finally returned.

So that left the new staff with five healthy scholarship players that were productive. That left walk-ons like Baird and Jarrod Johns to play significant minutes.

Roll all that in the context that a new coach was diagnosed with a serious disease and was not with the team for ANY preseason fall practices and implementation was left to a new staff that had never worked w Kennedy before.

That's not an excuse. That's fact. The first year was a mess for reasons that couldnt be controlled.

The point guard fiasco is a more credible reason to make a change than what happened in 2011-2012. Turgeon was never a particularly good recruiter and his later rosters with his players was usually thin, but he found a way to get into the NCAA's as a No. 8 or 9 seed with good floor work. He was a good X's and O's coach but a very average recruiter. He usually signed three-star recruits with an occasional low-four-star sprinkled in.

He was a good coach, but not a great coach because he didn't sustain the talent pool of the previous coach during his four years at A&M.

The projected roster next year that a new coach may inherit will be much stronger than the roster Turgeon left when he took the Maryland job.

Duke and Kentucky won NCs with "thin" roster. Hell, BK does better with a short rotation anyway - we all know that. Let's recall that it was you and a cadre of pumpers that have been bashing Turge for years. He had adjustment issues the first year, but but the end of the season we were pretty solid.

Turge is a grinder and sour puss. Doesn't generate enthusiasm. Just wins. He's not an upper echelon coach (Coach K, Jay Wright, Roy Williams, Cal, Donovan, Stevens) or even 2nd level (Miller Bros, Marshall)...but he's in the mix of the top tier in the B12 or Big Ten.

Kennedy's not going to be fired. He's not able to replicate something that looks like fundamental basketball...unless we press down double digits or Stansbury is beside him..

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

jml2621
wacarnolds said:

CrottyKid said:

Jeff Boals is who we need. Obviously, for that reason, it won't happen.

Why do we need Jeff Boals?

Hey why don't we get Chad Morris and his 7-17 record to sub in for Kennedy while waiting for Sumlin to finally be fired.
jml2621
One thing we agree on Hop - Sumlin's seat is a 1000X warmer.

I wish we could work out a deal with Kelly and bring in Kubiak as DC...like now. Athletic and Academic capital campaigns would feel the Benjamins flow in...

TXAggie2011
AG
We lost conference games to middle of the pack to bad teams where Middleton shot 50+ % from the field and gave us 14, 15, 19 points.

Yet alone him going for 23 points against KU and the team still not making it to 60 points.

We had Turner, we had Middleton quite often playing well. We had Leabeau and 12 point scorer from an NCAA team. We had enough that we had no business being that bad of a basketball team.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Of those 10, at least three never had a productive season as a collegian...Naji Hibbert, Daniel Alexander, and Keith Davis.

Naji consistently played 20 a game on a 24 win NCAA tournament squad.

Whatever Naji was, we were able to win games with him.
aggiedad55
AG
Hey Aggie, if I lived less than 10 minutes from Reed I would not miss a game. You should have went thru the Melvin Watkins years, then you would have something to whine about. Guys like you are just bandwagon fans, 2% Aggie. The Aggies who bust their butts on the court deserve better from you and everybody else. I have been to 2 games this year and live 2 hours away from Reed.
wacarnolds
AG
jml2621 said:

I wish we could work out a deal with Kelly and bring in Kubiak as DC...like now.
I've seen you post this multiple times..why in the world would anyone hire Kubiak as a defensive coordinator?
Yell Practice

"I don't think the powers that be would ever hire him back at A&M"

No, that would probably never happen. Fun to think about, however.
PatAg
AG
jml2621 said:

Aggie said:

Sad situation with BCG.
I hope he is healthy now.

Aggie basketball was the cool thing on campus. Turge was a great coach and kept things rolling but BCG was a rock star.
I have been to 1 freaking game since BK has been here.. And I live less than 10 minutes from Reed. Even last year when we were decent I couldn't get into it.

I miss those kinds diving on the court to get loose balls. Aggies appreciate hustle and defense. Those teams BLED it. Acid Law and the Man from Normangee. They had character.
Well if you like your team diving for loose balls, this team does that. They hustle, don't mistake a **** coach and no pg for this team not caring.
Method Man
I've handled breakups better than BCG leaving.
billydean05
I thought he should have been fired after year 3. Now coming off a Sweet 16 appearance, young team, and really good/great recruiting class guard heavy, barring a complete collapse you have to give BK a fifth year which is NCAA tournament or bust in my eyes.
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

We lost conference games to middle of the pack to bad teams where Middleton shot 50+ % from the field and gave us 14, 15, 19 points.

Yet alone him going for 23 points against KU and the team still not making it to 60 points.

We had Turner, we had Middleton quite often playing well. We had Leabeau and 12 point scorer from an NCAA team. We had enough that we had no business being that bad of a basketball team.
Please show me all of those 50+% shooting games because Middleton made only 26% of his 3-point attempts (hell, even Dash made 30%) and shot 41% from the field that season.

You also need to add that A&M started walk-on Zach Kinsley, Naji Hibbert, Daniel Alexander, Keith Davis, and Jordan Green (23% 3-pt) quite a few games as well. Like I said, this team had a good starting five and one good bench player. Lose two of those six and you are scrambling with walk-ons and little-used scholarship bench players.

Again, why are y'all so fixated about this season five years ago? If you want him gone, simply say he screwed up this season by not bringing in an adequate point guard and be done with it. I wouldn't argue with that.
Hop
Staff
AG
The BCG era was a glorious era...no doubt. But the man has completely flamed out. He can't stick with a job for longer than one season and he has left two jobs voluntarily because of burn-out. You really can't be serious that you want to bring him back. He's not the same guy he was 10 years ago.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Again, why are y'all so fixated about this season five years ago? If you want him gone, simply say he screwed up this season by not bringing in an adequate point guard and be done with it. I wouldn't argue with that.
Oh, come on, I'm only responding to the above novel you wrote about that season.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Please show me all of those 50+% shooting games because Middleton made only 26% of his 3-point attempts (hell, even Dash made 30%) and shot 41% from the field that season.
I was in the stands when he shot 7 for 14, 2-4 on 3-pointers, for 19 points and we managed all of 51 points in a loss against a 9-9 Longhorn team.

I'll admit on closer inspection he shot 6 for 13 against a 7-11 (15-18 overall) Oklahoma State team we lost to by 18 points. We put up 42 points against a defense that allowed about 70 points/game.

(And on the KU games I noted, 8 for 14 against at home for 23 points in 33 minutes, we go for 58 points.)

The game I really roll my eyes at was when Dash shot 4 for 5, 2 for 2 from 3-pointers, and we put up ,58 at home against Rice to lose. That was with Middleton in the lineup and going 6 for 14 for 13 points. Set a terrible tone for the conference slate.

Kennedy's offensive game plan that season was roll the ball out and hope a few of his guys shot out of their mind.
TXAggie2011
AG

Quote:

Naji Hibbert
Again, 20 minutes, 6th-man on the previous season's NCAA team. You've got to lay off harping on Kennedy being forced to play Naji 19 minutes a game.

He played more than 28 minutes twice for Kennedy.

Went 4-8, 3-5 on 3-pointers with 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals in a home loss to Kansas State.

Went 3-8, 1-2 on 3-pointers with 4 assists in a home loss to Texas.
TangoMike
billydean05 said:

I thought he should have been fired after year 3. Now coming off a Sweet 16 appearance, young team, and really good/great recruiting class guard heavy, barring a complete collapse you have to give BK a fifth year which is NCAA tournament or bust in my eyes.
Do you mean a 7th year? Last year was the 5th year
greg.w.h
AG
I think BCG is an unwise choice as HC. MT was a good risk. I think both MT and BK were what might be called "character first" hires after BCG left which doesn't imply either was brought here expected to fail.

I wouldn't hire Gillispie. And I have nothing but respect for what he did here.
NYCAg
BCG was a great coach at the time, but I can tell you first hand that the AD's office was relieved when he took the Kentucky job. He got results but there was concern that he was a ticking time bomb. There are a lot of people that think all that matters is W/L record, but AD's also worry about the integrity and character of their coaches and programs. If they do not monitor this aspect of their programs, they will end up like Baylor (or SMU in the 80's).

Anyone that has spent time with BK and his players (which I have) knows he is a good man that the players respect. I think the AD is going to look at this season and say he missed on a point guard that did not qualify which is really hurting the team and give him another season. I can't say that for sure because I do not have the same relationship with our current AD as I have with past AD's.
CapCity12thMan
AG
BK is like Mike Sherman was for football...respected, but just wasn't getting it done. It was time to leave. I don't like what I have seen this year in an obvious rebuilding year, but this was the year to start with a new coaching staff, but that wasn't going to happen with the success we had last year. So, IMHO, it's this year to show some good signs or he should be gone to give this REALLY young team a chance with a new program for more than just a year or two.
Uncle Jimbo
TheOC16 said:

Rocco S said:

Austin Ag said:

I'm not asking this as a bash to Kennedy.

What are the character traits that you mention other people reference? I have heard this before. I'm not insinuating that I think he has poor character. I've just never really seen evidence of anything that made me respect his character any more than the average D1 head coach. I genuinely am curious; if nothing else, it would be nice to hear something nice about the man for a change.

Aggies notoriously do this. We put our leader's character on a pedestal.

"He's a great man, but it's time to go..."

It's like this caveat is a mandatory precursor to criticism.

Aggies like coaches that are generally positive and quiet, and most importantly, are complimentary of A&M. Think Mike Sherman.
Yell Practice
BCG is fun to talk about and fun to think about, But the Aggie brass will never bring him back to Aggieland.
Yell Practice
The BCG ship has already sailed.
GrayMatter
AG
Aggie said:

Sounds like a classic definition of a T-shirt fan to me.
GrayMatter
AG
Yell Practice said:

BCG is fun to talk about and fun to think about, But the Aggie brass will never bring him back to Aggieland.
Why bring him back? Let it go...

I'd prefer to see Buzz than BCG as our coach.
Yell Practice
It was good when he came and it was probably good when he left. He did not get into trouble at Aggieland.
peace
S
This thread should be locked.....BCG ain't happening!!! Get over it!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.