What is the most important position in basketball?

5,119 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by halfastros81
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always thought you build a team around a dominant center but this Aggie team is making me rethink that point guard is the most important. Thoughts?

Also, we're only down 11 with 1:50 to play. Plenty of time for another miracle.
OasisMan
AG
in college, PG

TJ Ford
Method Man
Need passable guards. Stanford got to the elite 8 with average guards and the Lopez bros. Gonzaga got far last year with decent guards and good post play
Know Your Enemy
AG
PG
WGann3
AG
OasisMan said:

in college, PG

TJ Ford
Yup. In college you go as far as your guards take you. See those UConn teams that had no business winning national championships led by Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Wish I could quote my own last sentence.
johnnyblaze36
AG
WGann3 said:

OasisMan said:

in college, PG

TJ Ford
Yup. In college you go as far as your guards take you. See those UConn teams that had no business winning national championships led by Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier.
You're exactly right. So I guess guard play is more crucial at the college level and bigs at the pro level is the conclusion.
BBDP
AG
NBA is still about being able to handle and distribute the ball (and guard those who do).
Tall Texan
PG
jml2621
Junkhead said:

PG
Duke won the NC in 2010 without a PG. There's a good chance they'll win it this year without a "traditional" PG

Inside out games can win.

A lineup with Davis and Williams in together (and NO Hampton or Collin) enforces punishment IF the opponent doubles Davis. Tyler is a fantastic passer.

This game is about DEFENSE, LENGTH, SPACING, and BUCKETS.
jml2621
BBDP said:

NBA is still about being able to handle and distribute the ball (and guard those who do).

MJ and Pippen won 6 NBA titles without a viable PG.

jml2621
Tall Texan said:

PG
We came back from 22 to a 2 point deficit without a PG.

Morpholino
AG
Coaching.
Loco84
AG
Morpholino said:

Coaching.
We have a winner!
Bondag
AG
If any of our guards ball faked we cut down on 5 turnovers and get it in to center.
87AustinAg
AG
Recruiting
Coaching
Development
mgmgrand
AG
Just need to make the switch and start Williams. Hampton should come off the bench. No need to not be starting a guy who is arguably your most important player.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jml2621 said:

Junkhead said:

PG
Duke won the NC in 2010 without a PG. There's a good chance they'll win it this year without a "traditional" PG

A lineup with Davis and Williams in together (and NO Hampton or Collin) enforces punishment IF the opponent doubles Davis. Tyler is a fantastic passer.

Duke has a roster full of 5* players so they can do it without a dominant PG.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Junkhead said:

jml2621 said:

Junkhead said:

PG

Duke has a roster full of 5* players so they can do it without a dominant PG.
Yes but Duke's best teams were led by Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams. Put it this way, I'd much rather have another Acie Law IV than Deandre Jordan. I guess I answered my own question.
johnnyblaze36
AG
jml2621 said:

BBDP said:

Michael Jordan is not a fair example and they had Bill Cartwright and Bill Wennington at the Center position. Btw I would kill to see Bill Wennington at an Aggie game. Best towel waver ever.
Method Man
We don't have a chance of EVER winning a NC in bball. The sport will die before that happens. These hypotheticals are all cute but this team has seven or so four star players and is looking at maybe not making the tourney. Hampton is awful I agree.
cedar
It's guard oriented in both college and pro. No guards equals no wins. You have to have shooters.
GE
AG
The two positions where holes are the most difficult to cover are center and point guard.
superunknown
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

jml2621 said:

BBDP said:

Michael Jordan is not a fair example and they had Bill Cartwright and Bill Wennington at the Center position. Btw I would kill to see Bill Wennington at an Aggie game. Best towel waver ever.

They still had quality post D in Horace Grant, Will Perdue and later Dennis Rodman. Center in a Phil offense is just a pivot/rebounder anyway.
micahb2002
AG
At every level, the lack of a good point guard hurts the most.
micahb2002
AG
jml2621 said:

BBDP said:

They always had a competent point guard, plus Jordan and Pippen could bring the ball up as well. They were loaded at 1-3.
BBDP
AG
MJ and Scotty qualify as handling and distributing the ball. ...... and guarding those who do.....do they not???
Method Man
We might as well forfeit the rest of the season because we don't have a PG (Gilder is good enough).
ecoag80
AG
Coach
Yell Practice
Point Guard in college. IMO
Yell Practice
College -- Point Guard

Pro -- Probably Center

bobinator
AG
Not to be a contrarian just to do it, but I'd say that more than a single position, the most important role in basketball is someone who can get off a good shot despite pressure man-to-man defense. That could be a point guard, it could be a shooting guard or it could even be a small forward if they have good enough handles. But your better teams have at least one of those guys.

You can get away with having an average point guard if your two can do it, you can get away without having very good guards overall if you have one that can do it really well.
hoya-ag
AG
bobinator said:

Not to be a contrarian just to do it, but I'd say that more than a single position, the most important role in basketball is someone who can get off a good shot despite pressure man-to-man defense. That could be a point guard, it could be a shooting guard or it could even be a small forward if they have good enough handles. But your better teams have at least one of those guys.

You can get away with having an average point guard if your two can do it, you can get away without having very good guards overall if you have one that can do it really well.
agreed. scoring guard is most critical.
Method Man
Yell Practice said:

College -- Point Guard

Pro -- Probably Center

Lol

jml2621
johnnyblaze36 said:

jml2621 said:

BBDP said:

lol Yeah, top 50 NBA players right there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.