What is the most important position in basketball?

5,114 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by halfastros81
jml2621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
micahb2002 said:

jml2621 said:

BBDP said:

NBA is still about being able to handle and distribute the ball (and guard those who do).

MJ and Pippen won 6 NBA titles without a viable PG.

They always had a competent point guard, plus Jordan and Pippen could bring the ball up as well. They were loaded at 1-3.

lol

:laughcry
TMartin
The most important position is the one manned by the player who can score, rebound, defend in the clutch.
Guitarsoup
AG
jml2621 said:

BBDP said:

NBA is still about being able to handle and distribute the ball (and guard those who do).

MJ and Pippen won 6 NBA titles without a viable PG.

In the last 25 years, no NBA Championship team has had a PG with over 8.2apg (Kidd, 2011) and only two teams have had a pg with over 7.5apg.
ryansdad
AG
I think at any level (except NBA) PG is the key, followed by a great Center.

NBA-- I'd start with the Center.
Vepp
Method Man said:

We don't have a chance of EVER winning a NC in bball. The sport will die before that happens. These hypotheticals are all cute but this team has seven or so four star players and is looking at maybe not making the tourney. Hampton is awful I agree.

Ever? A big part of the tournament is luck due to it being one and done. Get to the tourny and work your way into the sweet sixteen and the lottery ball might have your number.
wesag
AG
Aircraft carrier
BanderaAg956
Most important position is the COACHING POSITION!!!! Great coaches win and win a lot, everyone else is average at best and might get lucky and make a run once in a while!
Matsui
AG
Ball handlers backcourt in college
Yell Practice
Over all the Point Guard is probably the Most Important position in BB.
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://www.hookem.com/story/one-month-texas-search-clear-cut-point-guard-continues/

Shaka Smart is pointing finger at PG (after losing to Arky to drop to 5-5 record) regarding their own struggles this season.
91AggieLawyer
AG
It isn't a single position per se, but someone who can make those around him better.

Look at guys like Hakeem, Ralph Sampson, and Jason Kidd. Good -- perhaps great -- players in college as well as the pros, but did they make their teammates better? None of the three won a championship (in college) and only Hakeem got close.

Auto accident aside, I think Bobby Hurley was going to be, at best, an average NBA guard. The early '90s Duke teams didn't have better talent than the early '80s Cougar High teams, but their hardware has better results listed on it. And before you harp on Lewis, coaching was only a part of it.
CapCityAg89
AG
The NCAA Championship is to a very large degree, luck of the draw. The very best teams over the year very rarely actually win the tournament because of this, so pull winning it all out of the mix.

I'll be contrarian too, and say it's more important to have pro-level talent to have success. The very best performing teams all have at least two pro-caliber players (NBA). Last year, we had Jones and House and we saw success. This year we have a raw Williams (definitely a pro) and then Hogg, Davis, Gilder and TTM who probably all have a shot, but also have deficiencies. This is a young team and IF those guys develop against those deficiencies (although it'll be tough for Davis to grow via hard work), we have a chance at success.

As to "coaching," there are certainly examples of lesser-talented teams having sustained success (high seed), but they are few and far between. To the extent that "coaching" includes recruiting, I'd agree, but without talent John Wooden would look much more pedestrian. Hell, the most talented team of the BCG era only made the NIT.
Method Man
Hell, that last sentence is dumb AF.
CapCityAg89
AG
Wright, Law, Kirk, Jones. What team was more talented?
jml2621
91AggieLawyer said:

It isn't a single position per se, but someone who can make those around him better.

Look at guys like Hakeem, Ralph Sampson, and Jason Kidd. Good -- perhaps great -- players in college as well as the pros, but did they make their teammates better? None of the three won a championship (in college) and only Hakeem got close.

Auto accident aside, I think Bobby Hurley was going to be, at best, an average NBA guard. The early '90s Duke teams didn't have better talent than the early '80s Cougar High teams, but their hardware has better results listed on it. And before you harp on Lewis, coaching was only a part of it.

UNC
UVa
Houston
Louisville
Georgetown
Indiana

Each had stellar forwards and/or centers. Just stacked. The UH team may be the greatest that has never won an NC. 1999 Duke is right behind. 1989 LSU probably had more talent, but Dale Brown was coach...so you have that.

Early 90s Duke also had Grant Hill and Laettner - just amazingly balanced. Laettner was one of the first stretch 4/5s at the college level and still leads Duke in all time 3FG% - shot over 50% from 3 land his senior year.
Method Man
CapCityAg89 said:

Wright, Law, Kirk, Jones. What team was more talented?

Talent involves context.
jml2621
2007 had an offensive efficiency rating of 9th, so I'll go with them. Last year was close.

Part of the context is experience:

Law - Sr.
JJ - Jr
Kavaliauskas - Sr
Carter - So (6th in 3FG% in nation)
Kirk - Jr
halfastros81
AG
I think the most important position is point guard but you need at least three legit d1 guards . If we had 3 Admon Gilders we'd be in pretty good shape imo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.